A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, September 14, 2009

SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME by Lisa Kleypas


SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME by Lisa Kleypas
This was a re-release that I somehow did not have on my keeper shelf. Of course it's possible I read it and didn't keep it, but it didn't seem familiar to me so I think probably not.

This book started out strong for me. I was excited and anxious to see how Ms. Kleypas was going to resolve infamous Bow Street Runner Grant Morgan's and scandalously notorious Vivien Duvall's relationship.

When Grant takes Vivien into his custody because she's lost her memory after a brutal attempt on her life, I read with baited breath how their mutual dislike and Grant's abhorrence of Vivien's life as a highly sought after courtesan was going to work out.

Sure there's lots of heat, but Vivien doesn't remember who she is and how she's lived her life, let alone the dynamics of her relationship to Grant before the attack on her life. I don't think it's a stretch to say Grant loathes Vivien. While incredibly attracted to her he was ultimately put off by her cold and ruthless conniving when he met her previously. Grant decides that Vivien's beauty is not sufficient enough to tempt him.

By no means was this book horrible. I was just disappointed in the sudsy soap opera way Ms. Kleypas took to resolve what I felt was the strongest conflict in the book, that of Grant and Vivien's unwilling attraction for one another.

Not a wholly unpleasant way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

My Grade = B-

Labels: ,

13 Comments:

Blogger Marg said...

I haven't seen that cover before! This is not one of my favourite Kleypas books either, but there were still things I enjoyed about it too.

1:29 AM PDT  
Blogger AnimeJune said...

Is this element of Lisa Kleypas' writing that has kept me from buying some of her newer stuff, frankly. For every book that's soapy-good (It Happened One Autumn), there's one that's soapy-silly (Scandal in Spring - honestly, how can a scrawny geek gain a sixpack working behind a desk in 19th century England? DOESN'T HAPPEN), or one that's soapy-terrible (Again the Magic).

11:54 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love the cover of this reprint. I think it might be the green. Green is my favorite color, although I look better in blue.

And I will resist the temptation to buy this reprint! I own the dang original edition and it's buried in the TBR somewhere.....

4:17 PM PDT  
Blogger Tara Marie said...

I've only recently read this one, tracked down a used copy at my local UBS--didn't know they were reprinting it. It wasn't a favorite, but I thought if fit in nicely in this series and worth reading. The amnesia plot is one I normally hate, but found it tolerable in this one.

I'm usually hit or miss iwth Kleypas.

5:14 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Marg, yeah, like Grant Morgan for instance?

AJ,I just didn't like the resolution to the amnesia plot and it's so obvious I should have seen it coming.

Wendy, resist your temptation I know someone who has a copy to give away. Hehehe

TM, yes fits in with series. I liked Grant Morgan, I just wish Ms Kleypas would not have taken the easy road. Don't you think that would have been a more interesting book?

8:07 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

ooooohhh, very pretty cover!!! Problem is I haven't been really fond of her earlier work. Hmmm... maybe if the price is right :D

Thanks for the review!! (a review!!! Ohhh, does that mean your mojo is back?)

9:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, have you read any of the Bow Street runner books? This is part of that "series" of books that are loosely related to one another. Not a bad book, I just think a missed opportunity for a really great book.

7:09 AM PDT  
Blogger ReneeW said...

I enjoyed this one more than you. I read this way back in 2002 and remember really liking it even though I generally hate the amnesia theme. I do know I loved the hero, Grant. I think I still have my old copy. What a pretty cover this reprint has though :)

10:38 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I don't think I read this one - I'll have to double check. Sounds good and I love the cover.

4:04 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hmm...I saw this at Wal-Mart and thought for sure I had read it, but reading your review, I don't think I have. But for sure its in my TBR pile. LOL

But I won't be rushing out to read it, amnesia stories are not my fave.

7:56 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, I'm one of those old school romance readers who have a tendency to focus on the hero a little too much. Grant was just great in the one, but not enough to overcome the soap opera twist.

Tracy, Wendy didn't want it. I'll be bringing my copy to the SoCal get together in a week if you want it.

ames, you and SL Wendy and your legendary tbrs.

9:43 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

My budget thing is actually working! I'm reading more than I'm bringing in! LOL I'm just so amazed at myself.

9:55 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Rock on chica! My system has been only to buy what's on my list and it's working fairly well too.

10:07 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home