A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Random Bits of Stuff

I'm probably the last person on the planet to finally read JUST THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE by Julie James, but I finally did. Not only a very nice ending to my February reading, but I think I can just about finish her second book, PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT before her new release SOMETHING ABOUT YOU makes an appearance on Tuesday.

I'm still working on my January reading list. Hopefully I'll get it posted this week and February directly after it. Reading has been interesting lately. I've purchased a few books, but have found myself turning to re-reads and my tbr tubs.

This past week I was in training. The class I attended had about 30 cops and me. I'm definitely not a cop. Whatever I thought I knew about peace officers did not come close to some of the things I learned this week. I was most struck by this thought, we don't appreciate them enough. Sure I met a couple of jerks too, but for the most part I was blown away by their dedication to serving the public. Now I'm not saying they love the public, but they are dedicated to serving and protecting us from the bad guys. I met some really good men and women this week and it was a balm to my cynical heart.

I also put up with quite a bit of good natured ribbing about working in a fire department. It appears there's a teeny tiny bit of a raw nerve about all the love people have for "America's Heroes" ...the fire fighters. It was a hoot to hear the sarcastic remarks and teasing. I may have mentioned how much I love sarcasm a time or two, haven't I?

After being away for a week I'm expecting to be really slammed this week at work. I am, however, also determined to have a life. I just get so caught up sometimes with work. It's a good thing I have sons to heap on the guilt and a patient spouse who smacks me upside of the head to remind me of a few salient facts.

You probably don't care, but I only got to swim once last week (stupid rain) and was ever so relieved to find that I didn't gain any weight while at class. All that sitting around!

GG just informed me that Canada got the win in hockey in overtime. Congratulations Canada, you hosted one hell of an Olympics and a memorable one. What an ending!

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger lisabea said...

You are not the last person on the planet. ::cough::

I'm so glad you had a great time with the cops. I think it's true that they are under appreciated--it's the ticket writing, among other things. Firemen are 'life savers'.

Plus they have those hoses.

xxxx Oh. littlegirl is in Guys and Dolls this week--she's a missionary. She just found out that she is in the play and it's four days away. LOL. Jr.High ROCKS.

I'm looking for missionary clothing.

L

4:25 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lb, Oh Lord once I read Guys and Dolls the soundtrack kicked in. *sighs* Really can you have too much Ms. Adelaide and Nathan Detroit???

Missionary clothes? We are talking basic black here, I'm thinking the thrift store. Considering Jr. High angst maybe less notice is a good thing.

4:34 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Uh yeah. Definitely not the last person on the planet. In fact, I don't even have that one in the TBR. Now Practice Makes Perfect? Yeah, that's around here somewhere....

9:23 PM PST  
Anonymous Mollie said...

Ditto, I haven't read it either!

7:38 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Hey Rosie :D

Is there any particular reasons why you wanted to read JJ's previous books b4 her new release?

Glad you enjoyed the Olympics :D

9:47 AM PST  
Blogger Kati said...

Yay! I'm glad you enjoyed JTSMA! It's a favorite of mine.

Glad to hear you're doing well, I miss you!

10:06 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Yep, not last - have some in the TBR pile and just ordered another - I think that might break a rule or something.

Because I can't deal with blood or anything I have always had a healthy respect for cops, firemen and ambulance crews. I wanted to be a cop but realized going to accidents would ruin me. A friend of mine has a brother who went through Chemistry and joined the police force as a short cut to sommething (can't remember what now) but his first call out was a suicide by shotgun.

And my former BF's uncle was a cop who committed suicide. I think they can see too much.

Wow, I got grim there didn't I?

Glad the class was more fun than painful and that you have some reading time.

Have you read the Cole yet? ;)

CindyS

1:04 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wen, I can't believe I don't have a signed copy since she was at RWA last year. Is yours signed?

Mollie, I've had reader/blogger friends telling me how fun Julie James' books were and I finally read one... and they were right. Do you like contemps?

Nath, I'm just using the release of her new book as an excuse to get her books read before RWA this year. I don't want to meet her again and not have read her books. That feels so "not good". :)

Kati, you were right. Fun contemp, and characters you want to know more about. In fact I would read a sequel to JTSMA to see what's up with those two crazy kids.

Cindy, just like me! I had her first two in my tbr and will be buying her third tomorrow. Big book buying day tomorrow. I love those!

5:42 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Rosie: I'm thinking my copy is signed - because I *think* I got it at her publisher signing. I *know* I didn't get it at the Literacy Signing, and I don't recall it being one of the books in the Librarian Goodie Room.

I'd look - but dang, I think that book is buried in a Rubbermaid tote in my office closet. That would require more digging than I'm up for this evening - LOL

7:45 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

So I guess you're going to this year RWA? :P

5:49 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, how do I screw these things up? I've finished PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT and it was such a fun read.

Nath, shhhhh! I haven't announced officially yet, but yes, I sent in my registration... I'm going to Nashville to RWA.

8:32 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, it's on your blog, Rosie :P I can't keep it more secret than it is :P But good for you! Next year, I'm going next year :P

8:09 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home