A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010

February 2010

Twelve is a perfectly respectable number of books to have read for February. I'm still working on my January list, but I more wisely was recording February as I read them, so you get this list more or less on time. Yay!

INTO THE FIRE by Anne Stuart
An oldie but a goodie, from 2003 that I decided on a whim to re-read. Jamie tracks down Dillon the bad-boy from the past to find out how her cousin, Nate, who was raised as her brother, died. The story takes place over a short period of time, but is quintessential Stuart.
My Grade = B+

THE CINDERELLA DEAL by
Jennifer Crusie

This was a re-release that I hadn't found or read before. Daisy is a teacher who wants to be an artist but is finding it financially challenging. Linc wants a job at a small but prestigious college where the Board would prefer to hire a married man. As neighbors in the same building, Linc decides he'll strike a deal and ask Daisy to pose as his intended. Loved this book. The wit and dialogue were wonderful. It's so refreshing to read a book where the author counts on you having a brain and figuring somethings out on your own.
My Grade = A-

PRIDE MATES by
Jennifer Ashley

This is the first book in a new contemporary paranormal series. I confess I bought this because I enjoyed THE MADNESS OF LORD IAN MACKENZIE a recent historical by Ms. Ashley. There were a couple of new twists on ye olde shifter lore and I found myself enjoying this one quite a bit.
My Grade = B

NICE GIRLS DON'T LIVE FOREVER by
Molly Harper

This is the third in a series of books about Jane Jameson, the somewhat reluctant recently turned vampire who is also a librarian/bookshop owner. I enjoyed this book for addressing in an amusing way some of the practical issues one might face living their life openly vampire. I like Jane's pluckiness and plucky isn't usually one of my favorite adjectives when I describe heroines. This was my first book of the series and I had no issues starting here.
My Grade = B-

SEALed WITH A RING by
Mary Margaret Daughtridge

I've enjoyed the previous two books in this series so I was pretty happy when Toni from NEW & RECYCLED ROMANCES slipped this this ARC in with my UBS purchases after I had mooned over it during my recent visit.


This too is a marriage of convenience story, but it is written well with a lot of the obvious questions one might have if a friend came to you and said they were getting married for some purpose other than love.
My Grade = B

BACK IN BLACK by
Lori Foster

This book is a part of the continuing SBC fighter series. I haven't read all of them, and had no trouble with this as a stand alone. This time out we meet SBC president Drew Black who is a PR nightmare for his partners with his brash no-holds-barred news conferences. Enter one Gillian Noode, PR expert to clean up his bad boy image. Gillian is one of those "too competent" heroines almost to the point I didn't like her much. I've been hit or miss with Ms. Foster and was in the mood to give this one a try.
My Grade = C

SCOUNDREL'S KISS by
Carrie Lofty

I have Ms. Lofty's first book in my tbr, but picked up this one intrigued by a conversation with SL Wendy letting me know that the heroine is an opium addict. Talk about a hook... Ms. Lofty doesn't give her characters an easy time of it and weaves an interesting tale here. If you like a story rich with historical detail and complex characters, you'll love this one.
My Grade = B

BRIDE OF THE WOLF by
Susan Krinard

I am rarely influenced by a cover. In fact if someone describes a book to me by the cover I'll never guess who wrote it or what book it is, even my most favorites. *glancing at keeper shelf to see what Carolyn Jewel's books look like* I've read Ms. Krinard's wolf books before and have had mixed luck and picked this up totally based on the beautiful green cover with the dual faces in the water reflection and the wolf.


Having said all that, this is a competent wolf shifter story set in the west and was appealing to me on that level.
My Grade = B-

NOTHING DENIED by
Jess Michaels

Straight up erotic and a valiant attempt to have a real story intertwined with a man's need to be dominant and a shrew's need to marry. I didn't like the heroine in this book. She knows she's a shrew, admits she's a shrew and the author never gives us a chance to know her and understand, except in the most shallow and vague way, why her behavior is so extreme.
My Grade = C-


GUILTY PLEASURES by Laura Lee Guhrke
Daphne Wade, left with only the travel vouchers sent by the Duke of Tremore, travels to England after her father's death and is hired in her father's stead to help excavate a Roman camp site found on the Duke's property. I adored the opening of the this book where Daphne is unabashedly spying on her employer. With no aspirations and a self awareness of how far superior Anthony is in rank to her, Daphne adores him from afar. Ms. Guhrke does a wonderful job of introducing these two people to each other and in many respects we also see them come to their own self awareness as well. Very solid historical read from my tbr.
My Grade = B+

A BRIDE FOR JERICHO BRAVO by Christine Rimmer
Ironically I read THE STRANGER AND TESSA JONES which has siblings of the H/H of this book last month. I used to never miss a Christine Rimmer category and can't remember now what made me stop reading them. At any rate, I was happy to pick this one up and read it. Sometimes short and to the point is just the right thing and this fit the bill when I read it.
My Grade = C+

JUST THE SEXIEST MAN ALIVE by Julie James
Do you ever pick up a book a second time and wonder why you didn't read it the first time you picked it up? I had that experience with this book. I really enjoyed Ms. James characters. With a sense of "realness" to characters most of us mere mortals would never meet, she finds a way to bring us in and care about these people through their flaws. Loved that. I'm anxious to read PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT which, fortunately, is in my tbr.
My Grade = B+


Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Lori said...

Oh, some good books in there!
I loved Into the Fire. Soooo good!
Sealed with a Ring is on my list to read. Do I need to move it higher?
This LF series hasn't really hit well with me. I'm skipping it altogether.
And of course, Guilty Pleasures rocks, as does JTSMA.

Did you know that Nothing Denied is Jess Michaels' last book? SHe said that since traditional romance is much more open to erotic scenes, she can manage it as Jenna Petersen. Interesting, no?

8:59 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, I can't believe I took so long to read Julie James. I bought her new book yesterday and can't wait to dive in.

As for the SEAL books by MM Daughtridge, have you like the previous ones? I did, so was thrilled to get the ARC. I bought it yesterday too. Gotta support our favorite authors don't ya know.

Speaking of...Lisabea's CATCH ME IF YOU CAN came out yesterday, have you heard anything?

9:15 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Carrie Lofty writes such interesting historicals, so I'm hoping she has a long, fruitful career ahead of her. Zebra didn't resign her, but she has an ebook coming out via Carina Press uh, sometime this year? Fall-ish? Maybe?

Been buying the Molly Harper books for work. Anything vampire-ish (light or dark) seems to circulate very well for us. Same goes for Susan Krinard. Some of her older titles have been blockbusters for us.

Lori Foster is one of those writers that works for me in short story anthologies, but not single titles.

The Guhrke has been in my TBR FOREVER!!!!!! I've loved some of her older books soooooo much, that I've been "scared" to read her Avon releases, even though I keep buying them. My vow is to read Guilty Pleasures sometime this year for Keishon's TBR Challenge.

9:48 AM PST  
Blogger Renee said...

What a great collection of books, Rosie.
I've got Pride Mates on my tbr. Gotta get to it!
I went and looked at the Susan Krinard cover. Beautiful!

10:34 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Some very good books in your pile! I'm glad you enjoyed The Cinderella Deal :D It was such a cute book!

Oh, you read Guilty Pleasures by LLG! That one is a great trilogy :D

And it's never too late to jump on the band wagon :) Let us know what you think of Something About You? I've enjoyed JJ books, but I don't think as much as everyone else...

8:08 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, what!!! I can't believe Carrie didn't get re-signed. She's a darn good writer and that's a shame. Did they give her any reason?

I can totally see Molly Harper having a wide appeal. The banter and attitude are very reminiscent of Jennifer Crusie.

Renee, February was, in retrospect, a pretty darn good reading month for me. It was sort of eclectic as well. I bought the Ashley on a whim and was pleasantly surprised. I hope you like it too.

Hold the presses! Are you telling me, Nathie, that GUILTY PLEASURES is part of a trilogy? Dang. Now I got to figure out what the other two books are. Do you know what they are?

I'm still reading the newest JJ. I really enjoyed the first two and have only had a chance to read 45 pages or so of the new one.

10:10 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Rosie: Honestly, no idea if Zebra gave her a reason or not. If they did, I'm assuming it was the Ye Olde Sales excuse.

Not Nath - but according to fictiondb.com the LLG series is Guilty Pleasures, His Every Kiss, The Marriage Bed and She's No Princess.

7:31 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Yep, it's part of a trilogy and well, Wendy told you the titles :D

She's No Princess is only very, very loosely connected to the trilogy. You can read it cos it's cute, but it won't make much of a difference...

9:25 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home