A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Utah...Here we come!



Here it is...beautiful St. George, Utah. Come Thursday morning we are taking off for St. George so the guy I live with can run in the marathon on Saturday.

For those of you who don't know, a marathon is 26.2 miles. Don't ask me to explain what motivates any human being to run/walk/crawl for 26.2 miles, but I can assure you that some 7,000 people will be doing it in St. George this coming weekend. I'm always awed and inspired each and every time I attend one of these events. You can't help but get a tear in your eye when you see some of the participants. For every person in the marathon there is a wonderful and often amazing back story.

This is the fifth time in 7 years Greg is running in St. George. It was also the place of his first marathon. We love it because it's so beautiful and the community is so darn nice and welcoming to the runners who come in and take over the town the first weekend in October every year.

Don't think this is just one fun weekend for me. Oh no...I have some strenous stuff to do too. I have to make the big decision of whether to try and see my guy out on the course this year or just wait at the finish line. Should I get up at the ungodly hour of 4 a.m. when he does, or just set the alarm to get up at 8 a.m.? Should I have breakfast or wait until the race is over to eat? Decisions, decisions. It's a full plate, but I have my previous years experience and training to see me through. I think I can manage one more time. Besides, this year I 'll have the company of my sister-in-law Michelle and my new baby niece Kaden who will be there to cheer for my brother Chris, who is also running.

Of course, it is also my job to stew and worry about whether first year college boy and cute E-mo kid will kill each other while we are out of town. Right now they are full of promises and brotherly love. They are motivated by the thought that the only thing worse than spending time with each other is spending 10 hours in the car with their parents in one weekend.

The little dears pretend to be worried they are disappointing us by not going. We don't have the heart to to tell them how overjoyed we are they decided to stay home. Isn't funny how our kids think we can't wait to spend our every waking moment with them? I swear I've told them that I have a life. Everything I do doesn't have to include them. They laugh and say..."Yeah, right, sure you do Mom!"

If they only knew. Poor deluded schmucks. ; )

The important thing is my boyfriend and I will get some alone time. Even though we live in the same house, sleep together, eat at least one meal together a day it never seems like we get to say much more than a necessary exchange of information. So the time in the car will be great for us to chat and catch up on some stuff, listen to music WE like and just be together.

Ahhhh....bliss!!

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger WarriorM said...

I'm so jealous! I wish I could leave my kids home and travel just about anywhere with Craig for the weekend! Oh Yeah, the oldest is only seven! I guess I have about 10 more years until that's a possibility!

Tell Greg I wish him lots of luck! I'm sending good running vibes his way for the rest of the week. Give our brother a flick on the back of the head for me! It's how we say, "I Love You". :-)

7:43 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home