A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Some recent observations...

Observation #1: The Academy Awards were a big yawner this year. With the exception of the scary ribs/no boobs dress of Felicity Huffman, who I think is an attractive woman BTW, there wasn't much to dish about in the wardrobe department. Although there was the one scary moment when Jennifer Garner almost slipped and fell...TWICE!! *gasp* I like Jennifer and am glad she didn't end up on her keister in front of millions of people. However, for the first time in a long time I didn't much care about the outcome of one single category, and I'm an avid and ardent movie goer.

The LA Times had a great article on Sunday about how the nominees for men were much more interesting, and the actors who played them, than the women's roles and the women who played them. This is something I don't fault the actresses for. As the article noted, most of the reason for this is the public's demand for young, beautiful, perfect women acting in flat, boring movies cast in parts that are eye candy to their male counterparts. I'm paraphrasing here people. I'd put a link into the article, but after a quick look couldn't find it right off, so take my word for it, ok?

The article went on to say how the male roles had more substance than the women's roles. I agreed wholeheartedly. In fact, I had made much the same observation to the guy I live with when the nominations were first announced. Interestingly, the LA Times article also said that Hollywood had created this monster of wanting and demanding women to be and look younger. As a result show biz is cultivating actresses who look and act less and less interesting. I also agree with this observation.

Just think about some of our great actresses and recall how interesting their faces are...Bette Davis, Joanne Woodward, Jodie Foster, Lauren Bacall, Jane Fonda, Meryl Streep, Julianne Moore, Helen Hayes, Joan Crawford, Katherine Hepburn, Jessica Lange...women who repeatedly gave and give stellar and interesting performances. There isn't a skinny etheral beauty among them, but they are all "real" women. Here's hoping they get a chance to do some great work in the near future. Women in the movie business need to get more proactive (Katherine Hepburn was one of the first) and go out and find good scripts for themselves and make their own movies. I'm not being glib, I know they have their work cut-out for them. I just hope that women in entertainment will flout popular trends and do it!

Observation #2: It is way more fun to surf the web and read other people's blogs than settle down and write one after you've had a 10 hour work day. I am a shameless blog slut when it comes to a couple of my favorite sites...can't miss a day checking to see if there is a new post. On the other hand, I always have the best intentions to write a post of my own, but by the time I make my rounds I lose momentum and steam. I don't plan on giving up my blog but until my work load improves I won't be posting very often.

Observation #3: Just when you think a person you know can't get any lower or nastier...there is a new depth to which they will stoop. Sad but true. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Maybe I'll post on the specifics someday, but for now this is all I can say.

Observation #4: Even when your son wears girl pants in size 0 (he is 15!) One can find a larger and looser "0" so one doesn't lose all hope for grandchildren someday.

Observation #5: There are no alcoholic beverages (more's the pity) served at bridal showers on a Sunday afternoon. Water and red punch were the available choices. Shades of childhood birthday parties. Yikes!! Not to mention (but I am of course mentioning it) my beautiful goddaughter of 22 years dumped her red punch on my lap and sleeve. It was a thrilling experience all around. I did win the word scramble and get some great hand soap and lotion, so all is not lost...except an afternoon of my life. *sigh* The red-stained punch soaked clothing was saved from permanent staining. Praise be!

Observation #6: It really is true that "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger". So my observation about this is that most "old adages" last to become "old adages" because there is some truth to them.

Until next time...Ciao!

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

Your comments about the female categories are dead on, and it's substantiated by looking at the women who have won the best female in a leading role category over the last few years.

Charlize "what the f*ck was I thinking with that dress" Theron, Nicole "I desperately need some sun" Kidman, Halle "who the heck told you Catwoman was a good film choice" Berry to name but a few.

It just seems to me that beauty seems to win over real talent. Not to say that these ladies aren't talented because they are, but Kate Winslet was fabulous in that sunshine of the spotless mind (or whatever the heck it was called), film and dame Judy Dench, always gives an Oscar worthy performance, regardless of the film. Why do they bother nominating her every year when it's quite clear that she aint winning shit?

2:32 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home