A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, October 12, 2006

Just Because there are No Reviews

Doesn’t mean I haven’t been reading. I’ve made comments around the blogospere about some of the books, but nothing has inspired me too much. So I’m going to do one of my lazy blogs with a few books. Famous last words…

SEDUCED BY MAGIC by Cheyenne McCray. I liked the first book Forbidden Magic, but I just never really got into this one. I was about half way through it when I just quit reading. Neither Copper Ashcroft the missing witch (and sister to Silver who stars in Forbidden Magic) nor her hero Tiernan “a powerful Tuatha D’Danann warrior” were very interesting to me. Because I liked the first book though I’m hanging onto it for now and will try it again later. Maybe this was just a frame of mind problem rather than *ahem* boring and uninteresting characters.

I'M IN NO MOOD FOR LOVE by Rachel Gibson. Maybe I had too high of expectations. But really, I don’t believe I expect an author to hit every book out of the park, but this was pretty much torture for me. I gave it more than half the book, but don’t anticipate trying to re-read it. Both of these characters seem TSTL and made no sense to me.

THE STOLEN BRIDE by Brenda Joyce. Okay, since I haven’t read a Brenda Joyce book in forever I admit I bought this book completely based on the title. I was intrigued. It is Brenda Joyce at her historical best. And for those of you who don’t like kidnap type stories the “bride” pretty much kidnaps herself. Sean O’Neill is a tortured hero and while it was close enough to be “alright enough already” Ms. Joyce does cut a fine line and succeeds. We know Eleanor de Warenne won’t abandon him. I liked it!

PLAYED by Barbara Freethy. This was another book I was looking forward to, FBI agent J.T. McIntyre’s story. PLAYED is a contemporary set in San Francisco as are many of (all?) Ms. Freethy's books. Since I’ve been in SF several times I enjoy reading about the background in her books because it's a place I'm familiar with and she does a great job giving you a flavor of the fab city.


While Ms. Freethy’s books are stand alones this book is related to TAKEN in that the villain Evan Chadwick continues his diabolically clever manipulation of people in this book. While I didn’t like this book as well as others of hers I’ve read, it’s a good solid read with interesting characters and a stolen diamond necklace.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Hi. I enjoyed reading your reviews. I'll visit again and read some more. Thanks.

3:45 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I know I don't need more books, but I've been eyeing that Brenda Joyce book when I go to buy dog food at Wal-Mart. Hmm...so are you recommending it? LOL

8:06 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Matt, welcome and I do hope you will stop back by.


Ames, I give a qualified recommend. If you like historicals this is a pretty good one. If I graded it I'd say B to B-

12:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I ALMOST bought a Freethy book at Wal-Mart yesterday, but I couldn't remember if the reviews I'd read were good or bad. Now I'm kind of sorry I didn't. *sigh*

8:57 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, Freethy is reliable for a good solid read. But for some reason, I've never been able to quite pin point what it is, some of her books just flow and I can hardly stand to put them down and then others are a struggle.

Interestingly, the first book TAKEN of these two, practically read itself. But, PLAYED didn't flow as well for me. Good characterization in both books, interesting plot too.

10:03 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home