A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, September 30, 2006

FURAN SAN - Or How I Discovered Ninja Art

The plan was to do a post to tell all the Gold Rush players not to come here any more. Yeah, that works. NOT!

Anyway, somehow in my browsing (how does this happen to me!) I was checking out to see if
Racy Li had made any progress with her web site. AngieW had posted this week asking us to nudge Racy to finish her site. I linked to it and thought it was a pretty cool site, so back I went today for a more thorough looky-looky. BTW, I'm intrigued BIG TIME about your WIP about the ninja. So hurry up Racy...would ya!

So, there I am at Racy's site and I decide to click over to her blog. While reading her back posts I come across one with a link to
Deviant Art and some really kick-ass cool ninja art by a young woman in Puerto Rico...Furan San. All I can say is Wow! I went through her whole gallery and really liked what I saw. In fact, I'll probably be trolling over frequently to see what she adds and what she's up to. The Nosy Nora coming out in me again.

(This part is boring background so you might want to jump ahead). I come from a big family. There were nine kids in all. Yeah, NINE. I was the oldest. Immediately following me in birth order are four boys. To say I was a tom-boy is an understatement. I competed really hard with my brothers until I got boobs. When I say I got boobs, I mean I got BOOBS! Those boobs ruined life as I knew it. I say those boobs because I eventually got a breast reduction...but I digress. That's a post for another day, or, better yet a visit to a therapist. I actually never thought much about this until recent years. The one thing I could still share with my two (closest in age) brothers after the boob explosion was comic books. Our family was stationed in Japan at the time and the three of us would wait expectantly each month for the comics to arrive at the Base Exchange. We would pool our money and go buy the most recent Spiderman, X-Men, Superman or Batman comics. I swear those were the roots of my romance reading. Tortured super hero, unrequited love. *sigh* I have lots of great memories tied up with comics.

So with this love of comics from my youth and Hollywood's venture in putting comic book heros on the big screen, my love of the super hero has sort of been reborn. I haven't actually purchased any comics yet, but I do indulge my sons' from time to time. You can't believe how many discussions a family of four can have about Batman, Wolverine and the Green Lantern.

Back to this morning when I clicked on that link in Racy's blog I was ripe, I was ready...I was fascinated! I really was. Furan San is very good. It sort of makes me want to check out manga. Anybody a manga fan out there? Where would I start? What would a total rookie pick up for the first time? Any recs? I'm very curious at this point. Help me!

Because, you know, what I need right now? Another hobby to feed! Here's one of my favorites from Furan San. Thanks for the link Racy...I really enjoyed this.



-Holy Order Frederick- by *furan-san on deviantART

Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

Rosie, you are a woman of many facets. :)

11:44 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Yeah, well I dare anyone whoever liked a superhero to look at Furan's art and not swoon! *wink*

2:10 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home