A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Reading and Emily Dickinson

Yesterday Wayne Jordan did a column at RTB about reading. For some reason it made me remember my 5th grade teacher Blanche Permoda. My Dad was doing a remote tour in Korea which means he was stationed at Osan AFB and we couldn't go. So my Mom packed up her seven children (there were two more to come yet!) and moved us back to be near her family in Anaconda, Montana.

There in a small worn out old mining town I was the student of a woman whose love of books and reading would influence me for life. She encouraged us to read, read to us in class, and told us we could do anything or be anything with a book in our hands.

When she wrote the phrase, "There is no Frigate Like a Book" on the chalk board and read Emily Dickinson's poem, it changed my life. I've never forgotten it or what she said.


THERE IS NO FRIGATE LIKE A BOOK
by Emily Dickinson

There is no frigate like a book
To take us lands away,
Nor any coursers like a page
Of prancing poetry.
This traverse may the poorest take
Without oppress of toll;
How frugal is the chariot
That bears a human soul!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger ~ames~ said...

That's very interesting. The info about your dad and the teacher.

My dad is in the Air Force, so we've moved around a bit. :P

As for the teacher, I've heard a quote that goes along the lines of, "It only takes one person..." and that person for me was my mom. I can't remember any of my teachers who influenced me to read to such a degree as my mom.

10:23 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, I sent you an email. I had others as we traveled...I was pretty lucky with teachers I got. Is your Dad still in the AF? Where are you all stationed now? My sister's husband is a missileer at Vandenberg AFB near Santa Barbara.

10:38 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hi Rosie, I emailed you back. :P

I had an amazing art teacher, she was very supportive and I had her from 8th grade to 12th. Very lucky with her.

My dad is still in the AF. He's in his 40s and he joined when he was 17. I don't think he's ever going to retire. LOL We're in Winnipeg, Manitoba and I think this is the last place. We were also in Ontario and Saskatchewan. The best place we lived was Germany.

So your sister married a man in uniform too? I have a lot of high school friends who joined or married military men as well.

11:46 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home