A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cruisin' Again

What a relief that I feel pretty caught up on the doings in my little corner of the blogosphere. I think I've finally made the rounds to all my favorite places and am up to date. Lots of stuff is going on out there.

I've mentioned it many times before, but I really am in awe of the reviews that get put up each week. I've been muddling about trying to do at least one review a week. You know make a hard and fast commitment to reviewing at least one book a week. I can't believe how prolific some reviewers like
Rosario and Dear Author are. Unreal. I'm so grateful too. Wendy posted a list of favorite books and authors a couple of days ago. It reminded me how many books I've read because of her reviews and recs. Tara Marie too. God I love you all for that. Nothing better than finding someone who has similar tastes and knowing that a good review from them probably means you are in for a good read too.

BTW, I can't wait to try and find some Terri Brisbin books after both Rosario and Tara Marie gave her books a favorable review this week. Thanks guys those books sound great.

I've been talking about the review that got eaten by blogger and can't even begin to try and re-create it. Usually I'm stubborn about stuff like that and just slog in and re-do it right away, but it was late and I was getting ready for our days off and just sort of blew it off.

However, I do want to mention some books I've read this past month that are noteworthy.

AND THEN HE KISSED HER by Laura Lee Guhrke
This was a recommend from Dear Author and Tara Marie. I would probably have never picked up this book on my own without reading those reviews and recommends. Great book with a heroine who is smart and independent and yet written true to the time period.

VISIONS OF HEAT by Nalini Singh
I've read some reviews that didn't think this book was as good as the first one. I however don't feel that way. I feel more drawn than ever into this world and found myself puzzling over some of the questions posed in the story (the alternate net construct for one thing). I liked Vaughn and Faith and enjoyed this book very much.

ICE BLUE by Anne Stuart
Yeah, I know she's not everyone's cup of tea, but I've enjoyed the Ice books. I like those hard to like heros. I figure this is probably because I would never tolerate having anyone like them around in real life. I will admit there is some repetition here in character traits among these ice cold killers of the Committee, but I just jumped in and accepted it all at face value. I lived in Japan for three years as a military brat when I was junior high school age. I love that country and was thrilled to have a hero be half Japanese and have part of the story take place there. In fact I told GG that we should think about taking a trip there. Wonderful country and very rich and interesting history.

BLOOD SECRETS by Vivi Anna
I actually picked this one up on a whim. I'd picked up and put down Vivi Anna's HELL KAT several times when it first came out not really sure if it would be my cup of tea and ended up not buying it. When I picked up BLOOD SECRETS and read the blurb that it was a CSI team with a vampire, a werewolf, a witch and a human comes into help them solve a crime I had to buy it. This was a Silhouette Nocturne release and I hope they plan to continue the series because I can't wait to read the next book about this unusual CSI team in the Valorian Chronicles. The cast is great and I can see endless possibilities for some great stories.

CLAIMING THE COURTESAN by Anna Campbell
This book was reminescent of historicals from the 80s but with a modern twist. The Duke of Kylemore will not appeal to everyone, but I was too curious not to read the book and too fascinated by it once I started reading it not to finish. Ms. Campbell doesn't take any easy roads and it wasn't hard for me to believe that people like this existed or that they could eventually find love despite the controversial forced sex. I don't see how an avid romance reader could pass up checking this out. I found myself thinking about it after I read it, so I'll definitely be looking for the next one by Ms. Campbell.

BE STILL MY VAMPIRE HEART by Kerrelyn Sparks
I enjoyed HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE VAMPIRE the first book in the Love at Stake series as good campy fun. I struggled through the second book VAMPS AND THE CITY and was very undecided whether or not I'd try the third book. While my reaction is somewhere between the first and second books BE STILL MY VAMPIRE HEART has its moments. I will probably continue with the series, but hope that Ms. Sparks will decide whether or not she is going to make this a campy, funny type of series or a straight vampire story. The books seem a little conflicted to me on what they want to be. If you are sick of vamp stories and you don't like any of the cutesy stuff, or modern day vamp politics, this series won't be for you.

SEPTEMBER MOON by Candice Proctor
Thanks again to Tara Marie for turning me on to Candice Proctor! This was another historical set in Australia. Just great well drawn characters. One of the best things about this story was that Englishwoman Amanda Davenport didn't have a problem falling in love with Aussie outback Patrick O'Reilly, who had been deserted by his wife six years earlier and left with 3 children. Amanda wasn't conflicted by his prior marriage, because she understood he had been abandoned. Her conflict was more honestly and realistically her difficulty in adjusting to life in the outback. I also applaud Ms. Proctor for not using the old tried and true plot twist of resurrecting the prior spouse at the last moment to throw a wrench in true love. Good read, nice and meaty with a full bodied story and characters.

I've been buying books at a much faster rate than I can read them again. I have to go on a buying moratorium until I finish reading a few books. I'm in a western sort of mood again. I've ordered the Lori Handeland books that are part of the Rock Creek Six series. I received NATE today and am anxiously awaiting Reese and Rico. Once I have them I'll be reading that series. I can't wait. Other than that there isn't a whole lot I'm waiting for in April except for
Karen Robards new release. I'm a fan from way back and have been intrigued by what I've read about the new HC Obsession. Oh, I also already ordered the Linda Howard Silhouette Nocturne release Raintree book. I'm hoping to have that May release in my hot little hands in the next week or so.

What are you excited about coming up in April or May?

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Tara Marie said...

So, out of all the books you've read I've already read 4 of them and plan to read 4 more.

Loved the Guhrke, Anna and Proctor, liked the Singh. The only one I wont be getting is the Sparks, I've read a couple and I really prefer the scarier paranormals over the humorous ones--but that's just my preference.

Your comments about September Moon will be sending me to my keeper shelves to find it for a reread. I really wish Candice Proctor was still writing romance!!

7:09 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

I'm probably going to have to breakdown and read the Campbell. I like a good "throwback" romance as long as I know what I'm getting into ahead of time. I ordered it for work, so I'll probably get it that way....

1:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

TM, I've gotten such good hits off of your reviews! I love finding new to me authors. I've got Brisbin on my TBB list, but will wait until I finish the Rock Creed Six series before I make any more purchases.

Wendy, I had to read the Campbell just because I wanted to form my own opinion after reading so much about it. I'm not usually influenced much my an author's personality, but I did get a kick out of her when she guested at Sybil's site.

4:29 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

With you on the Stuart and Singh - can't wait for more! I won the Anna Campbell or I would have bought it by now - I'm waiting for the mail! and like you I wanted to read it for myself and I do love dark heroes. I have Proctor in the TBR pile.

CindyS

4:56 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I have the first five books on your list there. :P Yay.

6:16 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosario said...

Of those, I've read only Visions (which I loved), but I have all but the last two in my TBR.

Oh, and Re: blogger's post-eating tendencies, I lost too many long posts back when I first started blogging, so ever since, I've written my posts on an html editor program (which I downloaded free from wbloggar.com). It allows me to save what I'm writing as I go, kind of like Word. And before the change to blogger beta, I could even post from there.

6:26 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy since you like your heros dark you will definitely like the Duke of Kylemore in CLAIMING THE COURTESAN.

Ames, you plan to read any of those any time soon? I love to compare different reader reactions.

Rosario thanks for the tip. I was writing offline in word and then just cut and pasting, but there is still alot of work in adding the pictures and links sometimes. It has been awhile since I had written directly in blogger and had problems publishing so this last one took me by surprise.

9:37 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I have all those that you mentioned except the Kerrelyn Sparks one. I just haven't read any of them yet :( I suppose I'm looking forward to that. Reading them now that I have them. And as for upcoming books, I've been to sceered to look since I've been on a book buying but not book reading splurge. I have to make the two meet.
And have you found Whispers of Heaven by Candice Proctor yet? 'Cause both Tara and I agree that she is wonderful, but our favourite Proctor is different. Mine is WOH and hers is NIE.

1:27 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, you have to like the wise cracking sort of campy vampire books to enjoy the first Sparks book. The second was only "meh" for me and then the third one had a bit more of the darker side so is different from the first two. Just so you know.

1:39 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie I haven't found Whispers of Heaven yet, but will continue to look. I've really enjoyed the first two of hers I've read.

1:41 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

LOL! I'm like Tara Marie, read 4 of them :D Interesting books you've read and nice mini-reviews :D It's so awesome you lived in Japan, me want to go too... As for the other books on your list, I might try the Vamps book... but not too big on historical, so I don't think I'll be picking up Cambell or Proctor.

5:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath I literally wander around and pick up books in the store and from my TBR based on a mood. Sometimes when I look over the books I've read in a month I'm surprised at the variety.

6:08 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home