A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Friends of the High Line

With all the wild stuff going on in Romancelandia these last couple of days I decided to post on something completely on another topic.
















Picture taken from FRIENDS OF THE HIGH LINE website. All images courtesy of Joel Sternfeld. © Joel Sternfeld 2000

So I'm on The Good, The Bad, the Unread and chuckling over the Penis Song with Edward Norton and Brad Pitt the other day when Shmoo comes in because nothing invites a 17 year old's curiousity like his Mom listening to a song with the word penis in it.

Anyway, since I'm not dead yet, I take a click over to YouTube because Shmoo knows that song was not in the movie FIGHT CLUB which is confirmed when we read at YT that it's a song Norton and Pitt sang on the set. Shmoo adores the movie FIGHT CLUB and while I'm both a Pitt and Norton fan I haven't seen the movie all the way through, much to Shmoo's disgust. I've seen some bits here and there but, I'm not fond of violence, so I don't stay and watch the whole movie. The men in my life have assured me over and over again I'm missing out.

Shmoo leaves me alone on YouTube because I'm completely getting into all the clips they have on Edward Norton. I think this guy is beyond good looking because he's smart and clever and sweet, and smart, and... You get my drift I like Edward Norton. One of the clips was from an interview Mr. Norton did with Charlie Rose about the Friends of the High Line a movement in NYC to convert an old elevated train track that was closed in 1980 into a park in New York. You can see in the photo above that Mother Nature has already begun reclaiming the tracks for her own. The track is a mile and a half long and goes through two or three major neighborhoods of Manhattan. Like Mr. Norton I found the history of the High Line and the idea to make this space something green and wonderful for the City of New York completely fascinating.

I thought some of you might too. They broke ground on the project in 2006 and will be finished in 2008. One of the places I didn't get to go in NYC was Central Park. I'm going back someday. Hopefully in 2008 after the High Line is finished and I can walk it and tell you all about it.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We've got our own "High Line" in Paris. Can't remember what it's called and couldn't be stuffed checking it out right now, but it's really pretty and green and elevated and the ONLY problem is that no dogs are allowed. We know this because we got kicked off, even though the dog was on a leash. Bah!

4:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, the park in Paris is called Promenade Plantée. It is 3 miles long. I only know because it's mentioned on the FHL website as it is one of the models for NYC's project. No doggies? Why I wonder?

6:46 AM PDT  
Blogger Jodi_Lee said...

I love revitalization!! Nothing makes me more sad then when I see a forgotten house, or park, or whatever that could be so much more! Good for Ed!

8:35 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Love Fight Club. Yes, I'm a girl and yes, I love Fight Club. It is violent, but there's a deeper message there and I just adore the director, David Fincher. Some people find him a little too clever, but I love the way he shoots movies.

8:57 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, that's it, thanks! :-) And oh yeah, I love Fight Club, too. EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT film!

2:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy and Gabrielle, you know I'm weak AND nosy. Now I'm thinking I have to watch FIGHT CLUB.

11:50 AM PDT  
Blogger sybil said...

one can totally get lost on youtube *g*

glad you the song made you giggle

Very interesting project and yeah I am a girl and loved fight club too.

3:10 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home