A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, May 04, 2007

THE RED ENVELOPE PLEASE...

My sister contacted me the other day. Her son is graduating from high school May 25th. In her neck of the woods they have a tradition of having family members write notes, cards, and letters to the graduate that are put in a RED ENVELOPE for the graduate to read and have as a keepsake of his graduation.

In the process of writing to him I was desperately looking up all sorts of stuff to help inspire me. I ran across this quote and thought it was worth sharing. It really struck a chord with me because I was raised Catholic and it is pounded into us to be humble...not great. But as I've gotten older I think that we are supposed to celebrate our gifts and blessings. So turn up the music and read what Marianne Williamson says about celebrating ourselves.






Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. ~Marianne Williamson, A Return to Love: Reflections on the Principles of "A Course in Miracles," 1992 (commonly misattributed to Nelson Mandela, 1994 inauguration speech)

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

That is a wonderful quote - I copied it right away and sent it off to my son who is in college. Maybe it will brighten his day!

4:05 AM PDT  
Blogger scooper said...

I love that quote. I'm copying it too. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I think I have a motto for life.

4:35 AM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

I first learned about this quote just recently while watching the movie "The Spelling Bee" or it might be "The Bee". Lovely movie about a young girl who has a thing for words. Nice quote!!!

10:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sam & Scoop I had the same reaction when I first read it. I printed out a copy to look at on my desk.

Sue there have been a couple of spelling bee movies, I saw the one with Richard Gere and don't remember this quote being in it. Which one did you see?

11:27 AM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Hi Rosie, the actual title of the movie is Akeelah And The Bee

12:13 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks Sue.

7:37 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home