A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, October 01, 2007

September Reading List

Here they are in all their glory. September's reads. I'm back on track with 18 reads this month. Although the ebook by Louisa Trent was woefully short to be really called a book. I believe it was something like 45 pages.

I just cut and pasted my list from my spreadsheet because I wanted to review the list here and see what my impressions are now with some distance from the reads. I try to wait to enter the books on the spreadsheet sometimes because I sometimes have a change of heart about a book as I live with it a couple of days. So I thought I'd look at the list here and see what bubbles up.

The Black Lace book by Maya Hess was a DNF for me. It was a sort of time travel where a female air freight pilot finds herself crashed in what was a distinctly primitive, like caveman primitive, culture. Ugh! No pun intended. Well, maybe a little bit...

I enjoyed Maya Banks book which made me happy after purchasing a trade sized books. I've had mixed luck with her ebooks. I've listed the books in the order I read them. You will see I read two by Nalini Singh and two by Leda Swann. I'd read other short Silhouette Desires by Ms. Singh, but this one, SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED while a bit predictable, was good. Of course, I liked CARESSED BY ICE and think she gets better and better in that series. You can tell those psy-changeling books are well thought out and she's soooo consistent with the world she's created.

THE PRICE OF PLEASURE by Leda Swann was a pretty good read. I liked it much more than Ms. Swann's SUGAR AND SPICE which was a sort of anthology about three couples in Victorian England who go to a place called Sugar and Spice to realize some fantasies or help their relationships. It was an okay read is about the most I can say for it. I enjoyed WHITE HEAT by Cherry Adair and she's a hit or miss for me. Sometimes I really like 'em and sometimes not. This was a good one...thank goodness since I bought the hardcover.

Wendy snagged GOSSAMER by Rebecca Hagan Lee off the shelves at UBS when we went to the author tea back in August. It was a great historical set in San Francisco. It's a book that's stuck with me since reading it. The hero was raised in Hong Kong and marries a Chinese woman. While his family isn't thrilled they do all they can to have the couple accepted into society. When his wife dies the man leaves the painful memories of Hong Kong behind and moves to San Francisco where he meets the heroine who has arrived in San Francisco to live with a brother she discovers is dead from an opium overdose. The hero has four daughters who need a governess. Problem solved when the two meet. Good conflict. Good book.

Let's see what else, I've written about FAIRYVILLE, LOVER UNBOUND, and the Hoyt books. I just finished THE COURTESAN'S DAUGHTER today by Claudia Dain. For those of you who frequent Dear Author you know that Jane and her Ned have been doing a clever book trailer for this book.

Since my reading of it is so recent and I'm finding I have mixed emotions about it I really don't have a definitive grade. In fact when I entered it on the spreadsheet earlier I didn't give it a grade yet. I've enjoyed Ms. Dain's books in the past, but I'll have to let this one ferment a bit. I CAN say it wasn't what I was expecting. It was a lighter read than I thought it would be for some reason.


FOR HER PLEASURE by Maya Banks
THE PRICE OF DESIRE by Leda Swann
MY IMMORTAL by Erin McCarthy
BRIGHT FIRE by Maya Hess
CARESSED BY ICE by Nalini Singh
IF HIS KISS IS WICKED by Jo Goodman
THREE ON THE FOURTH by Louisa Trent (ebook)
FAIRYVILLE by Emma Holly
SECRETS IN THE MARRIAGE BED by Nalini Singh
SPYING MAID by Lilith Payne (ebook)
WHITE HEAT by Cherry Adair
KISS TOMORROW GOODBYE by EC Sheedy
GOSSAMER by Rebecca Hagan Lee
THE SERPENT PRINCE by Elizabeth Hoyt
THE LEOPARD PRINCE by Elizabeth Hoyt
SUGAR & SPICE by Leda Swann
LOVER UNBOUND by JR Ward
THE COURTESAN'S DAUGHTER by Claudia Dain

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

Wow, 18, that's great... but I got you beaten LOL :P I have 21! :P anyway, you must be soo happy :D

it's good that you enjoyed the Cherry Adair. She's hit and miss for me too, but I'm definitively waiting for paperback for her. I'm not such a fan :P

GOSSAMER by Rebecca Hagan Lee sounds interesting and I think I'm going to try to find that one ;D although, i never heard of that author....

5:02 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

I have the Goodman book in my TBR as we speak ~~ but I'm still on a Twilight high so will be reading New Moon and Eclipse before I tackle anthing else, I think.

10:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

Holy cow Rosie. I don't think I read that many books in one month even BC (before child). I think I read five in Sept and that was quite an improvement over last year at the same time I only barely managed to finish one :)

1:27 PM PDT  
Blogger Jenster said...

Impressive!!! Guess how many books I read - and completed - in September.

None.

It's a sad, sad thing.

7:09 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home