A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

Cleaning the House

I announced to GG that I would almost rather go back to 50-hour work weeks and find somebody to clean our house than keep cleaning it ourselves. I've have to admit that while I've never liked to clean house I've always been able to motivate myself to do it because I love the feeling I get when the house is completely clean. But I've moved beyond not liking house work to LOATHING it.

In 27 years of married life we've paid to have our house cleaned maybe 3 times. Twice was by my nieces who wanted to earn some extra cash. Another time a cleaning service came because I was sick and we were having a family holiday at our house. Of course, when someone else cleans your house it never turns out the way you expect it to. My nieces took forever to do the job but were significantly cheaper than the service who was speedy but too expensive. Additionally my nieces were a bit more thorough than the service was. Even so, I can't think of anything I would treasure more than a reliable, thorough, reasonably priced cleaning service. In fact, I'll go so far as to say it's probably my number one fantasy. A clean house that was shined up by someone else.

Alas, I find no room in the household budget for a cleaning service when I have other more essential things to spend our money on like college tuition and books.

Why on the eve of a long weekend out of town would I be writing about house work you might wonder? My sons assure me that I'm a weird anomaly and, I quote, "freak of nature" because I clean my house before we go out of town. I always do this and all my laundry so I can come home, unpack and enjoy a clean house and not be frantic to get stuff done before returning to work.

A new page is being written in our family history. I'm waving the white flag because there's just too much to do and too little time. For the first time in what seems like forever, my house will not be clean before we leave town. *cue music* Dun-dun-dah.

The excuses? For one thing my sister will arrive this afternoon with her three adorable boys and it's a little difficult to clean with a house jam packed with people. Plus I have to finish packing this evening so we can get out of town tomorrow morning. I think that all sounds reasonable. Don't you?

While I mourn and sigh at dust bunnies the natives are drinking champagne and dancing in the street.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I'm the same way ~ everything has to be clean before I leave town. I clean at work and I clean at home. I hate coming back to clutter.

11:07 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

You're not a freak Rosie! I do the exact same thing. My logic is that after a trip I'm always tired and the only thing I want to do is sleep/rest. Plus, who has time to clean house after a trip when you have to worry about going to the grocery store so you don't starve to death?

2:32 PM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

lI hear ya! My house is usually tidy, but let it get the slightest bit dirty or cluttered, and people just start throwing off clothes on the couch, and leaving garbage on the counters and shoes in the middle of the floor, adding to the mess...argh! I love a clean house, but LOATHE cleaning it, and cleaning up after everyone else who should KNOW better...

2:54 PM PDT  
Blogger Daphne said...

I don't see anything wrong with wanting the house clean before a trip. It makes a difference coming home knowing things are neat and tidy. I think coming home knowing all this laundry needs to be done, vacuuming, etc. makes you even more tired.

For me, when I come back from a trip, the first thing I do is unpack my suitcase and put the empty suitcase back in the garage. I can't stand it when my parents don't unpack right away. I don't get it. Visual noise people!

Anyway, have a safe and fun trip Rosie!

11:03 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Well I totally understand why you want to clean your house before going out of town, but thing about it... now that your house is full of ppl, even if you clean, they will make a mess (not intentionally of course)... so I think it's a good decision to wave the white flag :D Have fun in Vegas!

4:04 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Raising my hand. I clean before we leave, too.

6:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Sam said...

We live in the country, and between the dogs and the kids, and just walking in and out - the house gets messy So fast it makes my head spin.
I'm not a neat freak - my hubby is, so I try to keep the house clean for him. BUt sometimes I want to smack him upside the head. Like today. I'm relaxing, reading a book, and he points to the corner and says, "next time you vacuum, don't forget the cobwebs over here."
And I'm thinking, 'don't you know where the vacuum cleaner is?'

LOL

And I clean before we go anywhere - the house has to be Spotless. I can't leave it a mess. Nope.

10:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

I love you, I love you, I love you ALL! Vindication is so sweet. Thanks for your comments. Have to rock and roll we leave the house in about 45 minutes.

It's relatively clean. Shmoo and Beanie were enlisted to help clean and they didn't whine and complain for once. Hoo-yah!

11:15 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home