A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Beware the Ides of March

Today is the Ides of March which is best known as the day Julius Caesar was betrayed and assassinated. From the Wiki definition, " The term has come to be used as a metaphor for impending doom."

Gloom, doom, and betrayal. Why the black cloud? The Ides of March also happens to be the day my Dad is getting married.
They say in life there are no accidents. Irony? Nah! Melodramatic? Maybe. Okay, okay. I admit it. I'm probably giving Sarah Bernhardt a run for her money. In my defense though, you probably don't have a Bar Hag as your new wicked step mother.

OTOH, at my age I feel well within my rights to quietly divorce my Dad. In fact beginning tomorrow I will be referring to him as Darth Vader. So when next you see me refer to DV or the Dark Lord you will know I mean the man I formerly called 'Dad'.


So, I guess that's it then. No HEA for me and DV. Just black. Lots and lots of black.

Too much? A little over the top?

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

So, has DV married the tartlet he met at the bar yet??? Is that why you now refer to him as DV? Did I miss something? I'm so confused!

5:44 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Rosie: I sympathize with you - I really, really do. Been there myself. I didn't have a Bar Hag so much as a Black Widow who was also a drunk.
I wouldn't blame your dad so much though as the bar floozy. He's probably lonely and she latched onto that and swooped in. I think lonely older men are more vulnerable to a certain kind of women and (hoping you DH isn't reading this) let's face it - men are a bit thick at times and think with a different part of their anatomies we don't want to examine to closely in our dads.
I don't think it's quite time for a divorce so much as a trial separation. My advice would be too not burn any bridges as he just may need you someday as the marriage may crash and burn.
I do understand your bitterness though~

5:53 PM PDT  
Blogger Jennifer Macaire said...

Well, I don't think you're being melodramatic - I couldn't stand some of my mother's boyfriends - and one of my father's girlfriends took a Long time to get used to (she did Not want kids around!)Let's hope your dad is a good influence on this woman, and things work out for the best.
in teh meantime - ((((HUGS))))

Sam

2:15 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm sorry that your Dad is no longer your dad. That's not being over dramatic, it's the way you feel.

CindyS

2:53 AM PDT  
Blogger Sarah McCarty said...

{{Rosie}}

It's so hard when family disappoints us to this extent.

3:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, I'm assuming the wedding took place last night. Since I didn't attend I have no way of knowing for sure. Yeah, and that's why I call him DV now. Also, I smiled when you referred to the WSM (wicked step mother)as a tartlet. I associated tartlet with someone young and WSM has worn too much of the tread on her tires to be called tartlet.

Kristie, uh, well you are so right when you say I don't want to think of DV in that way, but it's definitely occurred to all of us. OTOH considering he's getting radiation treatments (as we speak) for his prostate (TMI?) I don't think sex is the motivating factor. I think having a bar buddy is more what it's about for him. He'd rather be in a bar than anywhere else in the world.

Jennifer (it seems weird to type that because I always think of you as your alter ego 'Sam') Dad thinks our reaction is about him trying to replace Mom (as if) and doesn't get we just don't like HER. Thanks for the hugs. I think I'll share them with the sibs.

Cindy, you know what we all really want? Affirmation of our feelings, and in my case assurance I'm not crazy! :-) Okay maybe I'm a little crazy. Thanks for what you said.

Sarah, you'd think it would get a little easier as we get older wouldn't you? Sheesh.

9:25 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I don't think you're being melodramtic.

HUGS

9:53 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home