A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, April 28, 2008

Voracious

vo·ra·cious (vô-rā'shəs, və-) adj.

1. Consuming or eager to consume great amounts of food; ravenous.
2. Having or marked by an insatiable appetite for an activity or pursuit; greedy: a voracious reader.

I know that compared to women who have to get up each day and walk miles for water my life is a piece of cake. And in all seriousness, those women are never far from my thoughts because I know my life here in the United States is pretty darn peachy.

As peachy and great as my life is I still get a yen to indulge in some pretty decadent and indulgent behavior. Like I did this weekend for instance. I had a perfectly good rationalization too. Week before last I was busy getting sick and getting ready for Shmoo's 18th birthday party and that pretty much shot that week AND last weekend. I sure didn't get to read very much.

Yeah, I know you are probably thinking about those two books I posted about. In my defense I read those two books over a week. I think. Or, maybe even 10 days. That's slow reading for me. Besides I'm counting on all of you to be on my side here.

Anyway, this past week I was busy recovering, catching up with work and complaining on my blog. A busy and full week, no? *tongue firmly in cheek* Still not too much reading getting done. No book buying getting done for sure. Then the weekend rolled around again.

GG and I did our swimming, our grocery shopping, I made, as you know, quite a few book purchases, and we came home and did most of the rest of our weekend chores. We were busy little worker bees. So much so that I felt completely comfortable rewarding myself on Sunday with a little reading. Of course, there is no such thing is there? A little reading?

So here's my confession. I finished three books this weekend. I finished the Kresley Cole book Saturday night and then knocked out both the Anne Stuart FIRE AND ICE and the third O'Sullivan brother book by Kathleen O'Reilly NIGHTCAP on Sunday. Decadent AND voracious wasn't it?

I ask you though, how could I resist the temptation? First, I had all those lovely new books I'd just purchased. Then Beanie was working at the final matinee of GUYS AND DOLLS, which GG and I caught Saturday night btw, Shmoo was making the world a happy place by serving up Big Macs, and GG went out for his last long run in preparation of his half marathon on Mother's Day weekend. You know what that means right? A quiet and empty house.

What was I to do left home alone with all that lovely sunshine and silence? Shmoo's scrapbook? I did what any red-blooded book lover would do. I curled up in my bed with my books. There was actually a three hour period of no men, no phone, no tv, no music, no drums, NO noise. Just Emily snoozing in the sun and me reading. My bad? It was bliss. I hated to break for lunch.

Man, I was spoiled. Mother's Day is in two weeks, but I had the best day ever. After lunch and a chat with GG it was back to reading.

As a result I was patient and listened to Shmoo's woes at work when he got home. Beanie came home and had to tell me all about the final performance of Gs&Ds and the cast party. And GG, well he went to bed with a smile on his face. Yep, it was a very good day.

Shhhhhhh...don't tell my guys though. They think the turkey sausage and scrambled egg whites and dry english muffin they will be preparing for me in a couple of weeks is what is going to float my boat. I don't have the heart to tell them that "Silence is golden" had to be coined by a Mother who loved to read.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

First, always on your side ;)

Second, I can't believe you were able to read three books in a day!!!

I envy your reading power.

CindyS

12:12 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, two really since I'd started the Kresley Cole book on Friday night and finished it Saturday night. The other two I read Sunday.

BTW, thanks for being on my side. I'll take all the help I can get!

3:50 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

I tell you, just enjoy it when you can :D and woah, that's a great haul. I wasn't too shabby either. I finished 3 books but during the whole week-end :P

5:03 AM PDT  
Blogger lisabea said...

Rosie~How was Guys and Dolls? Oh I love that SHOW! So funny, I have a Bean and an 18 year old. (and a binnie). Funny.

And, lady, you are one fast reader.

5:16 AM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

*sigh* I remember those days I could read two or three books in a weekend. I haven't been able to do it in ever so long now. Of course blogging and being online has a lot to do with it too! And I don't really want to give that up *g*

5:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

You're sort of making me feel guilty, because I read 3 books a day on average. Is that not normal?

Like Cindy, I'm always on your side. You get down with your bad self, girl. :)

11:23 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, yeah I'm pretty happy about all those books. I read three total too. It's just that two of them I read in one day.

Lisabea, GUYS AND DOLLS was fun as usual. This is a college production so you have people of all ages involved. I thought the woman who played Sarah Brown was a little long in the tooth for the part, but that's just me. The woman who played Adelaide was excellent as was my son the Stage Manager. ;-P

Kristie, it all ebbs and flows...ebbs and flows. Sometimes I'm writing posts like a demon and sometimes I'm reading like a demon.

Holly, it's not that I can't read three books in a day it's more like I don't have the luxury of time like I used to. So when I have a block of time to read like that, yeah, for me that's decadence.

11:55 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

Daaang, woman...you must be a superfast reader! But I don't blame you one bit. Nothing like a quiet house to yourself being the perfect time to read (or blog, lol).

A nice quiet weekend does sound lovely. My dad is coming in for a couple of days, and so I've been doing some bigtime spring cleaning around here, and am dog tired. I could use a nice, looong nap and then a good book to read afterward.

12:21 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home