A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, June 07, 2008

On Reading

Miraculously today while waiting in the car while GG generously pumped gas (in my car) I got to read about 10 pages of MML's WILD ROAD. I've hardly started the book and am already struck by how well written it is. In a few sentences I was fully immersed in the story.

I finished the chapter and had to put the book down. As we drove home all I could think about was the scene I had just read. I sat there in wonder at the nuances Ms. Liu was able to capture. Then I thought about how introspective, self aware, and perceptive a good writer has to be. Sort of like a really good therapist who can interact with a patient and also observe behavior. A good writer does all that and then finds the words to evoke the observations AND emotions of the characters. Pretty fantastic stuff.

I love reading. I really do.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

Awesome post, Rosie! I've never read Liu, but I completely agree with your thoughts about a good writer. And I love reading, too!

9:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm with Dev, I haven't read Lui, but your post was wonderful and reminded me why I enjoy reading so much.

Isn't it amazing when you get drawn in like that? Maybe I need to pick it up, since I seem to be in a slump lately.

11:04 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I haven't read Liu either. But I do love reading!!

I go to the gas stations that have people pump for me so I can read. LOL And I read at read lights and in traffic jams. :P

11:30 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

red lights, not read. LOL

11:30 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home