A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Real Life

It's taken every bit of the past week to get back to real life after the RWA conference. Work is as busy as ever and I'm beginning to think with my on-going training it's just going to be that way now. This is my new normal.

On the home front even though Beanie was always gone a great deal and had a busy life I'm still adjusting to him living away from home. It just feels different and don't tell anyone, but I'm feeling a bit hollow. I miss him.

Reading was pretty good over the weekend. I not only finished TURBULENT SEA by Christine Feehan, but I read two of the stories in the FIRST BLOOD anthology, Meljean Brook's and Erin McCarthy's. Both pretty good. In Meljean's "THICKER THAN BLOOD" I just wanted more, more, more! McCarthy's was a bit too pat and ended a little quickly for me, but a pretty decent tale. As anthologies go, it's good news here folks.

I also read/skimmed an ARC of MR. CAVENDISH, I PRESUME by Julia Quinn. I was a bit disappointed with this book, not because it wasn't good or well written, but many parts of the story are the same as THE LOST DUKE OF WYNDHAM but from a different character's perspective. Unfortunately, there's really no new story, or at least I didn't think so. The backdrop for this love story is the same one as THE LOST DUKE OF WYNDHAM so it was like reading the same book over again to a certain degree. Thus the skimming.

I also got some packages ready and mailed on Monday (yesterday). Praise be. It took me a week to get organized enough to do it. So all of you who are expecting a package from me...'it's in the mail'.

It was fantastic to have a reading day. We got other chores done around the house too, but being able to have big chunks of time to read was grand. I actually feel better and less agitated. Weird, huh?

So now I'm dying to read the ARC Ann Aguirre so graciously (I only begged a little bit) gave me at the conference. WANDERLUST is the follow up to GRIMSPACE. I can't wait to read it, but I need to get a book in for the TBR challenge. And, no Nath, I'm not a book ahead...again...wait maybe I have something in draft... Gah! Who knows, I should read something out of the TBR anyway that's the point of the challenge to begin with.

So real life, it goes on and I'm rolling with it. It feels pretty good.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

hi there Rosie :D It's totally understandable that you miss your son :) I think every mom feels that way when her child leaves...

I'm glad you enjoyed Thicker Than Blood too :) I just loved it!! Sure, I would have wanted more, but at least, I think it was really a good novella.

Hmmm, that's a bit disappointing for Mr. Cavendish, I presume. Although, given that it goes with The Lost Duke of Wyndham, it makes sense that in some ways, it's the same story, but from a different perspective. It's just sad that the romance seems meh.

and LOL, don't worry about the TBR challenge book. I'm not really a book ahead either :(

5:41 AM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

Wanderlust will blow your mind away. It is such a good, good read!
Was Christine F's book really that good? I have been so disappointed in her past reads.

8:17 AM PDT  
Blogger Cheffie-Mom said...

Hi, I'm Debbie. I stumbled across your blog today. I love your header at the top of the blog. Thanks for sharing the books. I'll be back (:

8:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow you're really plowing through your books - I only wish! lol

I loved Meljean's story in First Blood as well - so damn good!

4:04 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, uh, you meant FIRST BLOOD right? I don't think I've read THICKER THAN BLOOD.

As for the Quinn book, you might be okay with it. I was just disappointed that the back drop was almost exactly the same. Even some of the scenes were exactly the same.

Kate, well I don't recall saying the Feehan was "that good". It's a good solid read, nothing to be in raptures about. Ilya is a fascinating hero, at least to me. Again, I was looking for more back story on him. I can't wait to read WANDERLUST. I think I'll save it for the weekend and no interruptions.

Hi Debbie! thanks for stopping by. I get lots of comments on that banner. I really lucked out when GemmaK designed it. I wish she was still doing web design. I look forward to seeing you back here.

Tracy, I'm so happy to have time to read again. It makes me feel normal. I really do get a bit out of sorts when I can't read. And that Meljean...she's something else isn't she?

6:59 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, Rosie, you must be tired LOL :) Because yes, you've read Thicker than Blood - which is Meljean's story... which you said in the post that you wanted more, more and more LOL :) I just think that Meljean's story was great!! :)

5:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, d'oh! I was thinking you were referring to the book title and not the story title. That Meljean...she's one talented woman.

8:03 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home