A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

RWA Fieldtrip

Since Blogger has been mean to me this post is already outdated and behind all the others who were posting as they went along. My feelings on the misfortunate series of events is not printable. Suffice it to say it didn't make me very happy. Circumstances notwithstanding I want to give you some of my highlights.


Tuesday Highlights

Le Trip: Who knew 7 hours could go by so fast? SL Wendy & I didn't just talk about books. We also solved all the world's problems. We got to the SF Marriot and the sensory intake began. The lobby and check-in are all in the same room with the bar. Pandemonium...but in a good way.

I have to say that while there were plenty of handshakes, hugs and even air kisses no one was sqeeing, screaming, or acting like yokels. There is an energy to all the estrogen, that I found very liberating. Shortly after check-in we began meeting fellow bloggers. I think I listed them all here.


It's a bit surreal. Not only was I excited to see the bloggy friends, but while sitting, standing and drinking in the bar you see authors walk by right and left. Fuh-reeky.
Fun. Weird. Not much sleep.


Wednesday Highlights
Registered for the conference. Twittering with everyone. Breakfast with Angie from Samhain, a sweetheart by the way. I was with the group that went to the Borders store for the taping of the TODAY show segment. It's too bad you didn't get to see what everyone said. Isn't Beverly Jenkins voice the sexiest thing you ever heard. It's like velvet.

The Literacy signing was wonderful. The lines were not bad at all. Well not the lines with the authors anyway. The room was set up well and only the "names" like Nora Roberts, Suzanne Brockmann, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Christine Feehan, etc. ever had more than 3 or 4 in their lines. Jane and Katiebabs both were volunteers for the event and the rest of the bloggers split off on their own because we all had authors we wanted to see.

I had a wonderful conversation with Pamela Morisi. She's a long time favorite. I met Ann Aguirre who was so nice and appreciative of all the online support she has received as was Sherry Thomas and Jodi Thomas. There were a few authors who really don't know much about the romance blogging community but certainly seemed interested. A few mentioned interest in doing interviews and promotions and being guests on blogs which I think is good news for all of us.

Christine Feehan and SEP were so sweet and attentive with all their fans. Kathryn Smith was a hoot. I happened to be wandering by when the telephone conversation with Anne from Let's Gab took place. That was so nice of Ms. Smith to do.

As Lori mentioned in her post (link above) RWA raised over $50K for the San Francisco literacy program. That was a new record high. Rock on sistahs!


Thursday Highlights
Meeting Thea Devine after a salacious and fun conversation with Wendy and Lisabea about her books. This was just excellent.

Victoria Alexander's keynote speech at lunch was very funny. I've never read her books and it made me want to buy them. Her delivery was wicked good.

The Nora Roberts Q & A. I'm so impressed by her love and passion for her work.

The Susan Elizabeth Phillips class. Six words "Keep the reader in the story". Very good.

Struck stupid to find out that I'm locked out of my very own blog. Why? Can you tell me that? Pretty freaking ticked about it too.

Dinner w/my bro who lives here. Back to the Marriott for more merriment and conversation.

I talk on the phone with Beanie who has moved out. In a few weeks he'll be a junior in college. It's going to be weird going home knowing he's moved out.


Friday Highlights
Books,books and more books at the publisher signings.

Ann Aguirre commenting on my blog and hooking me up with an arc of Wanderlust.

Seeing authors in line for books from their favorite authors.

Lisabea and I met a very nice man waiting to get into the Berkley publishing thingy. Hopefully he will get a chance to come by the bloggys and check things out. Our community is growing by leaps and bounds.

Meeting Meljean Brook.

Having Maya Banks, who I missed at the Literacy signing, mentioning she saw her name on the list on my blog. Another surreal moment.

A couple more authors mention they are interested in all things blog. Validation. Yeah, I like it. Don't you?

Hors d'oevres and dessert with my pal Gabrielle. Just awesome. She is so much fun to be around and I admire her vitality and grit.

Dancing at the Harlequin party with blogger buddies Kristie, Wendy, Lori, Alice. Alice had never heard 'Sweet Home Alabama' before. Wow! I guess I'm getting old.

Drinks in the bar with Wendy, Lori and Lisabea. Sublime way to end the evening.


Saturday Highlights
Lucky me. I had no feet issues until this morning. It seems the cute patent heels I'd worn and were so comfy the night before had taken a layer of skin off certain strategic points when removed. Oy!

Internet connection? Check. Blog back? Check. That was pretty stellar news.

Samhain breakfast was wonderful and Angie was a charming and generous hostess. If you like coffee, and let's face it, who doesn't, Samhain had these totally kick ass bright pink insulated coffee mugs. I love mine. Seriously can you have too many insulated mugs?

More books. (I need more cow bell!)

Great panel discussion on writing crossover fiction which I went to because Ann Aguirre was on the panel. Well done.

I wanted to make it to the panel about the "Theft of Creative Property" that Dr. John Barrie, Jane, and Nora Roberts were on and that was moderated by SB Sarah, but the time didn't work out for me. Bummer that. Our posts on our blogs are our creative property. I hear it was excellent.

The smile on Lisa Kleypas' face when we spoke about Kristie. I'd be jealous, but EVERYBODY does love Kristie including me.

The time has flown by and so much has happened that I can't even process it all. Who expects to cross a room to sit at a table with friends and end up sitting down next to Anne Stuart? Total randomness of life. Sometimes she is way cool.


Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger sula said...

rooooooosie! what a fantastic week. i loved meeting you and only wish i could have stuck around for more of the fun. Glad to see you made it back onto your blog. i need to do a recap too, but have been too lazy and vegg-y to do so. lol.

long live teh blogs!

1:29 PM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

You were the best roommate ever! :D

3:47 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

So cool!!! Sounds like you had an awesome time!! i'm so jealous!!! :)

4:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sula, I wish you could have stayed longer. Your MLM cohort was very entertaining.

Katie did you ever get Google Reader set up?

Nath, I'm hoping to do one with you someday!

9:10 PM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

Rosie, I set up my google reader last night and I luvs it!! Thanks for the reader advice! :D

5:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kate, Yay! Google Reader will change your life. Seriously.

6:34 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Wow!! It sounds like you got the most done at the conference (okay, I haven't read DA or SB) and I can't believe you sat at the same table as Anne Stuart. Can I touch you? ;)

And your swimming has done you well!! I saw a picture of everyone over at Kristie's and Katiebabs.

CindyS

11:51 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, thanks for the mention that you can tell I've been swimming. I think it also helped with stamina for the week.

7:34 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home