A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, October 16, 2008

The List. The Whole List and nothing but The List.

I mentioned a few times recently that I'm on a mission to limit my book buying to what's on my list. I have a running TBB list that I put books I want to buy by release date, by month.

So my goal has been to limit browsing and completely eliminate impulse buying. Although it's hard to do when I keep reminding myself that I discovered Linda Howard years ago by making an impulse buy. Determined, I shake those memories off and re-dedicate myself to curtail impulse buying and at least think about making a dent in my tbr tubs.

It follows then that I should only buy books I've pre-screened and put on my list. Which means the books are either tried and true auto buy authors or they are from recs by my trusted
pusher pimps blogger friends.

Remarkably, mostly due to a lack of time, I believed I was pretty much only buying what's on my list. Uh-huh. That's what I thought I was doing. Buying fewer books. The ultimate goal, right?

While updating my TBB list and getting ready for November I noticed that just in the last few weeks my pal Super Librarian Wendy has me adding books by Portia da Costa, Kathryn Albright, a medieval by Michelle Willingham and convinced me I should quit hedging and buy the Chelsea Cain books.

Then of course there was the BROKEN WING Quest initiated by Kristie. Yesterday I read Lori's review of the JoAnn Ross book CROSSFIRE that convinced me I needed to get those books too.

So let's sum up. I've actually added 8 more books in October that were not originally on my list. My belief that I was improving with my book buying was nothing but a sad delusion. Apparently I'll buy whatever you people tell me to. I'm so susceptible and suggestible when it comes to your recommendations it's nothing short of pitiful. It makes for great reading, but it does NOT however improve my tbr pile or my pocketbook.

Thank God I didn't mention anything to GG. He'd start adding up receipts and I'd never hear the end of it.

Although after recent events he's still treading pretty lightly around here. Albeit with a smirk on his face.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

Yeah, I'm evil like that. Ha!

8:10 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Okay, first... you sure you mentioned this a few times? I can't remember it... hmmm.

and LOL :) We're all the same when it comes to books you know. Well at least, you've eliminated impulse buys based on nothing right? So that's good.

My advice when it comes to recs is that you have to put your foot down somewhere. For example, don't put all the western recs out there if you're not a fan of western... Or buy these recommended books when you have nothing else to buy. You don't have to buy them all at the same time :P

10:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

Hey - we are all as easy as you. Don't fret it.

12:37 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, you SO are evil like that.

Nath, yeah, yeah, yeah, good intentions and all that. I am somewhat better, but you know...a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

Lori, you are always so nice. Yeah, I don't sweat it too much, obviously. I do surprise myself from time to time when I actually check on myself and find out I'm not doing as well as I thought.

11:10 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

I think I'm lucky - there aren't (or I suppose I should rather say weren't) that many I was planning on buying in November and December - but thanks to that darn Wendy, I too have added some that weren't on my radar before that darn Wendy posted about them.

11:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, that's like the pot calling the kettle isn't it? :D I don't know which one of you has gotten me to buy more books...

6:43 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home