A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, November 14, 2008

Shake, Rattle and Roll

Did you feel the great big earthquake yesterday Southern California? It was 'the big one'. 7.8 magnitude. No?

Then you, or your children, must not have participated in the Great Southern California Shake Out drill. Our agency participated and I got to learn all kinds of new stuff about first responders and disasters. Fun!?

One of the things I love about my job is that I never know what I'm going to learn next. There's always something new and I learned lots of new stuff yesterday. I have even more acronyms to add to the ever growing list. In fact, our new ESO commented on it yesterday. Everyone gets so used to referring to stuff by it's acronym we forget that someone new might not know what we are talking about. When I first started working at the fire department trying to remember everything gave me a headache. Anyway, one more first to cross off my list.

Now I get to look forward to seeing all the SoCal bloggers tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm sure we will all have lots to say and catch up. More on that later.

TGIF people!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

My library also participated in the Great Shake-Out. Well, everyone except me. I was somewhere on the 5 freeway at the time, headed towards one of our branch libraries to help them weed. Fun times!

See you tomorrow chica!

7:27 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Have fun tomorrow, Rosie!! You're sooo lucky!!

7:31 AM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

Yup, we participated, too. I'm on the safety committee, so I got to help plan.

Can't wait to see y'all tomorrow! I SO need a day away!

7:39 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TGI EFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8:23 AM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Tha base participated and HG had to call home to make sure the kids and I were ok. Then they had a recall at 3 AM!!!! That means phones all over this place were ringing at 3 in the frickin morning! Not fun...I gues being prepared is important, but not when it interupts my sleep!

10:01 AM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

My kids did the Great Shake-Out at school and said it was boring. Hello!? We don't want the real earthquake, silly girls! lol

10:04 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

SL, weeding? Drop, cover and hold on sounds like more fun.

Nath, yessss, my precious I AM lucky. I'm really looking forward to seeing the chickadees.

Lori, did you take pictures? I know they'd love to have them submitted to the website.

Dearest Gabrielle, Amen my friend. Amen!

Mary, drills are weird. It's like planning an emergency. We don't really have that luxury, but then they supposedly help us when we do have an emergency. At least that's the theory. 3 AM?? Blech!!!

Tracy, remember fire drills when we were kids? I hated those things. So I can see where dropping and getting under one's desk or a table might not be all that.

9:50 PM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hope you're having fun at the SoCal meeting. Wish I was there! LOL Especially since it's freezing here. haha

My job is that like too, acronym wise. We actually have a little booklet for new people to look at. And new ones crop up monthly.

12:35 PM PST  
Blogger sula said...

o hai! speaking of shake outs...today there was a 7.0 quake in my old stomping grounds of Sulawesi. But so far, no tsunami so that's good.

how was the blogger partay? so jealous. I want a drink!

2:15 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, let's see there was Lori, Tracy, Nikki, Alice, me and Wendy. Fun was had by all. Well except for the pesky fires that put a wrench in travel plans and had Wendy and her Man evacuating. More on that later or you can check out Wendy's blog.

Sula, while avidly watching about the fires on TV to find out news about Wendy's situation I saw the 7.0 earthquake news. Scary to have to sit and wait after a quake for a tsunami isn't it???

5:32 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home