A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, January 23, 2009

Cindy's Meme

Cindy tagged me for this one. Apparently this meme was making the rounds back in November, but I like to pay up when I've been tagged, so my answers are below. I won't be tagging anyone, but the scoop on how you can do be a part of this one is at the end of the post.

The books that have been on my shelves the longest:

How about RING AROUND THE ROSARY? Yes indeedy my dear friends. This is the book my Aunt C gave me for my First Holy Communion, as we called it way back in June of 1962. Take a look at this...



A book that reminds you of something specific in your life (a person, a place, a time, etc.):



1. SHATTERED LEGACY by Lora Leigh. I actually purchased this from Ellora's Cave and printed the whole darn thing out on my printer and took it to the hospital with me. I read this book at my mother's bedside near the end of her life. I remember her waking and asking me what I was reading.

2. THE CARPETBAGGERS by Harold Robbins. Um...yeah. I read this one as a precocious 13-year old babysitter. The book boggled my mind. It was my first 'adult' book.

3. Within the year I read the CARPETBAGGERS I was staying at my grandparents and found FAREWELL THE STRANGER by Saliee O'Brien in the book case in the basement. I consider this book to be how I started reading romance novels.


A book you acquired in some interesting way (gift, serendipity in a used bookstore, prize, etc.):

I met Ann Aguirre at RWA and was so effusive and sycophantic in my praise for GRIMSPACE that she took mercy on me and gave me an ARC of WANDERLUST after I attended one of her workshops where she was presenting. I was over the moon.




A book that’s been with you to the most places:

My copy of Little Men by Louisa May Alcott.



I loved LITTLE WOMEN, but every time I read it, until I was an adult, I borrowed it from the library. When we lived in Japan I received a copy of LITTLE MEN as a Christmas gift. I honestly can't remember for certain who gave it to me, but I think it was my grandparents. Anyway, for a long time this was the only book I owned. It was mine. All mine. It was kept in my room and has moved with me ever since. RING AROUND THE ROSARY doesn't count because my Mom kept that one (who knows why) until I got married.

The most recent addition to your shelves:

Over the Fall I glommed Jodi Thomas. So I'd have to say TWISTED CREEK would be the latest addition to my keeper shelves.




Okay, that's it for me. Now it's your turn. Here are the rules if you want to participate in this one.


The Rules
1. Tag 3-5 people, so the fun keeps going!
2. Leave a comment at the original post at A Striped Armchair, so that Eva can collect everyone’s answers.
3. If you leave a comment and link back to Eva as the meme’s creator, she will enter you in a book giveaway contest! She has a whole shelf devoted to giveaway books that you’ll be able to choose from, or a bookmooch point if you prefer.
4. Remember that this is all about enjoying books as physical objects, so feel free to describe the exact book you’re talking about, down to that warping from being dropped in the bath water…
5. Make the meme more fun with visuals! Covers of the specific edition you’re talking about, photos of your bookshelves, etc

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Yay!! I love your books!

Carry on ;)

Cindys

11:46 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home