A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Keeping the Candle Burning



Do you ever, out of the blue suddenly think of a book you read weeks, months, years ago and it just won't let go?

This happens to me every once in a while and I sometimes just can't shake the book loose. Sometimes it isn't even a book I liked. It might be a book that had very little impact when I read it, but suddenly it's a new obsession.

This past week that happened to me. I started thinking about a book I'd read back in April 2003. The book is a little category romance written by Suzanne Brockmann called LETTERS TO KELLY. Fortunately I have the book so I pulled it off the shelves and read it. It wasn't, after almost 6 years, exactly the way I remembered it. For one thing I'd thought the hero was in the military. He isn't and the military connection is what lead me to think about the book. I'll be reviewing it for Nath's Re-Read Challenge at the end of the month.

Anyway, I know one of the reasons I began to obsess over this particular book was having seen the movie IN THE VALLEY OF ELAH last weekend.

Saying 'Wow!' doesn't begin to describe the experience I had watching this movie. It stars Tommy Lee Jones,in a role that he was nominated for an Academy Award for last year. It also stars h Charlize Theron, and Susan Sarandon. This is a quiet movie. It's very tangible and realistic. It's the story about one soldier and his family.

If you read this post you know I've been thinking a lot recently about the men and women who serve in the military. At home or abroad it's a pretty thankless job. As it often is for me when I obsess over something one thought leads to another. I can't help but relate what I see or read to my own life and relationships. It's the eternal question, what if that were me, what would I do?

The movie is stark and no frills. It isn't gentle in it's truth. It isn't political, at least I don't think it is, but it gives an honest picture of what war does not only to the soldier, but to his family, community and country.

I snagged the trailer and posted it below. Check it out. The movie is on HBO right now and it's also available for purchase on DVD.

All I can think of right now is to keep the candle burning, praying and hoping for all our men and women serving to some home safe and sound to their families. My good thoughts and prayers are the least of what they deserve for what they do.



Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Tracy said...

I do the same thing with books. Remember when...blah, blah, blah (whatever the book was about) and then I just HAVE to find it and re-read it. Luckily it hasn't happened in a while since my TBR is so big. lol

I love Tommy Lee Jones and everything he's in. I'll have to have my hubby tivo this one for me.

12:35 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, I love Tommy Lee Jones too. He's a tough guy but there some vulnerability there too. He's great in this one. I hope you get to see it.

7:37 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

I absolutely adored Letters to Kelly. What a fabulous book. Every now and then, I find myself thinking about that book, too, Rosie. Interesting, no?

10:13 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, great minds and all that huh? I enjoyed it second time around. I went and bought the new Brockmann just today.

9:14 PM PST  
Blogger sybil said...

I soooooooo love Letters to Kelly! That was one of the books I reread not too long ago...

8:36 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home