A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Used Book Store


For the first time in a long time I made a visit to the used bookstore this past weekend. I was delighted to find a couple of books I've been looking for:

The Outsider by Penelope Williamson

The Trapper by Jenna Kernan

In my never ending search to fill out my Jodi Thomas back list I found another of her books as well, TO WED IN TEXAS. It's part of her McClain series and I'm working on getting them all.


'The Wagon Boss' painting by Charles Russell

I've really been in the mood for historicals lately. All periods. However, this week it seems westerns are on my mind. I couldn't tell you why either. It just is.
I've started reading THE TRAPPER. I'm about half way and really like it. No surprise there, I'm a huge fan of Jenna Kernan's writing. It resonates.

In other news, I broke my 'good' glasses the other day. Lovely. Fortunately I have a spare pair that are totally geeky. You sort of have to toss vanity aside when you need to see. Is it too ironic that I had my eyes checked on the same day the glasses broke? I think not. Sometimes the Universe speaks and if we're smart, we listen. It be time for some new glasses. Frankly, it's a good thing. My glasses are more than two years old and I'm ready for a change.

What do you think? Red frames?


Too much?

How about purple?

No?



Frameless?


It's like ordering from a menu
in a favorite restaurant. I invariably end up wanting what I didn't order. Maybe this (and the bed making) are why my children think I'm crazy.

How about these babies?

Labels: , , ,

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Red! And fingers crossed there's no trouble on the horizon.

4:51 AM PST  
Blogger sula said...

i like them all! Specially the first ones. How cool is the UBS? I wish I had some decent ones near me that weren't too cool to stock romance. I do find some good books at the Goodwill on occasion...which reminds me that I need to go there soon. Hoping to pick up some used clothes for my trip, cheap and can get dirty!

5:08 AM PST  
Blogger KT Grant said...

Hot red glasses for a hot woman.
:P
Next month I have 2 used book sales coming. I will be in heaven!

5:32 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

With your coloring? RED. Oh yeah. Although I loved those last frames...

No UBS in the sticks. Wah.

5:33 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, how'd I know you'd say red???

sula, I love those red ones cuz I'm a sucker for the cat-eye quality and the rhinestones. I usually chicken out at the store though.

Kb, red hot woman? *bats lashes* Why thanks.

Leeeesah! So, no problem with those last frames sitting in a bar in DC? Heh. Like I told sula, in theory I really, really like those red ones. However, in the store reality usually sets in and I end up with something *ahem* a bit more conservative. I'm such a wimp sometimes.

6:36 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

I'm conservative when I know it's A -expensive and B - going to be around longer than most things. But I'm a purple girl ;)

All the same, the reading glasses I got were barely there gold rims around the lens.

CindyS

6:59 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, yeah, I usually wimp out and end up with something conservative too.

7:03 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

LOL, the thing with colored frame glasses is that they can be hard to match clothe-wise... especially if you have an event ^_^; Red is nice, but not the frame you showed in the picture... that was way too flashy :P

Glad you found something at the UBS!!

7:17 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Psst - Katie... I'm jealous of you!! 2 used book sales... I'm green.

7:17 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Sigh, I am long overdue for an eye exam, and I'm sure my prescription has changed. I'm currently in denial.

Oh goodie - someone else who hasn't read The Outsider. I don't feel so alone now. And naturally, because every other book ever published is there, it's been sitting in my TBR for years.

8:07 AM PST  
Blogger Jill Sorenson said...

I've always wanted to wear glasses. Makes you look smart, doesn't it? *sigh*

I'd probably pick something boring like tortoiseshell. I can't stand not matching, and red is hard to match. That's why I never paint my nails. Clear only. Is that weird?

I've had a hankering for Am West historicals lately.

9:23 AM PST  
Blogger little alys said...

I love the red, but maybe the purple? It's like the middle ground between the hot red and the goody frameless. :)

12:34 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, What??? You don't like those lovely red glasses? They're my favorite.

Wendy, c'mon take the plunge and then we can both be too cool for school in red eye glasses.

Jill, I always try red frames on. Every time. I've been wearing glasses for 10 years and have yet to buy red. Course, there's always a first time, but do you look smart with red frames? Ummm...maybe not.

Alys, I dunno about the purple. The red calls to me, but as I say that I know I'll probably end up with something similar to what I have. *sigh* So boring.

6:48 PM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Ooooh - The Outsider - I love that book. If you read it, you HAVE to watch the movie after. They really did an excellent job.
And I'm with Cindy - I'm a purple girl too.

6:17 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, I didn't know they made a movie based on the book until you mentioned in your post. Which, as I commented, I was floored since I'd just purchased the book.

7:02 AM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

I haven't been to ANY book store since the blogger get together! What is my problem? *sigh* I'm afraid to go into our local UBS for fear I'll buy the place out. I have so many in my TBR already if I get more I'll drown! :)

And I love the red!

11:53 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, hey girl, it had been months since I'd been in a UBS and have tubs of books in my TBR. I look at it this way: It's what we do! ;)

7:27 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home