A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Why do I resist?



Reining in the Rancher by Karen Templeton

Last year both Holly and Wendy wrote great reviews about a Silhouette Special Edition series by Ms. Templeton.

The three book series was called "Guys and Daughters" . The books were Dear Santa (SSE #1864), Yours, Mine ... or Ours? (SSE #1876) and Baby I'm Yours (SSE #1893). Since I'm as susceptible as the next person, I was sufficiently intrigued to give Ms. Templeton a try. So, of course, that's exactly what I did. I really enjoyed the series, but singled out Baby I'm Yours as the best of the three. I wrote a little bit about it here.

Just to clarify, before I continue, I'm not a complete dunce. I did remember liking Ms. Templeton's writing. The 'Guys and Daughters' series left enough of an impression that I picked it up her next two SSE releases. The conundrum is my resistance to reading them. Why the resistance? I really couldn't tell you. I don't know. I would just look at the books and think, not now.

Now to the reason why this is worth mentioning...

The current series Ms. Templeton is working on for SSE is 'Wed in the West'. Reining in the Rancher (SSE #1948 Jan 09) is the second book of the series. It's also the book I picked up a couple of nights ago. I was looking for something light to read before I went to sleep and thought a category romance was just the ticket. This particular book just happened to be handy, which is really code for 'it was on my night stand'.

The plan, because I always have one, was to read about 25 pages turn out the light and get a good night's sleep. Riiiiiiight. I picked up the book at around 9 PM. I put it down, finished, at around 12:30 AM.

From page one I was hooked. This is a simple story and so implausible on some levels that it's very implausibility is what sort of makes it believable. At least that was the case for me. It was a wonderfully well paced little gem that I couldn't read fast enough.

I didn't read the first book in this series, A Mother's Wish (SSE #1916) and it didn't impact my reading Reining in the Rancher at all. I do, however, have A Mother's Wish in my tbr and you can believe I will be reading it soon.

So, don't resist like I did. If you haven't tried Karen Templeton, you should. This was a great quick read with characters you can care about.

Strong B grade for me.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I haven't read Karen Templeton before, but I think I may be giving her a try soon. I think I even have something of hers in my TBR pile.

7:24 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Oh glad you enjoyed this one :D I enjoyed the books of Guys and Daughters :) However, when I picked up A Mother's Wish, I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was so-so. I guess I'll be picking this one though :)

8:10 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

I liked this one from start to finish. A Mother's Wish? Very emotional. Reading it was like getting punched in the gut. I even teared up (damn near unheard of since I generally don't get misty over books). But the epilogue? Ugh. The epilogue, she be no good! Still, it was such an emotional read for me, I was able to forgive the sappy epilogue. Just a little bit ;)

And I concur with your opinions on the Guys and Daughters series. Book 3 was also my favorite.

8:46 AM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

I haven't read her - this one sounds good though. :)

10:51 AM PST  
Blogger CindyS said...

Don't you just want to kick yourself when you know you've been putting off reading a great book! I wonder if I have any of Templeton's books in my TBR pile - off to look.

CindyS

2:20 PM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Now I'll HAVE to check her out! I just finished SEP book and was up until 2 AM Monday niggt to finish. Don't you just love reading something that just hooks you!!!

2:57 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, I think you'd really like her.

Nath, I have A Mother's Wish but this one was handy first and I enjoyed it.

Wendy, tears? Real tears. Crap. I better get the book out. I was a little sqinchy because it involves adoption and I'm really critical of those stories for obvious reasons.

Tracy, she's good. So far so good. I like her.

Cindy, since you seem to be in a sort of category mood these might be the ticket.

WarriorM, I can fix you up. You want the first series? I think I still have mine. Lemme know chica.

8:52 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

No open tears. I'm a hard ass, and the only book that has ever made me openly weep is Of Mice And Men by John Steinbeck. But A Mother's Wish did get me choked up, and I did get misty.

I also thought Templeton handled the adoption stuff well. Granted, I'm not coming at it with the same experience that you are - but I thought she wrote it well. It's the epilogue that I think might send you over the edge.....

7:38 AM PST  
Blogger Holly said...

I just recently read this one, too. I think Templeton is definitely one of my favorite authors. I agree that Baby, I'm Yours was the best of her Guys and Daughters series. I also think this book was better than A Mother's Wish.

I thought the adoption stuff in that was handled very well, though. You should enjoy it.

I also agree that the implausibility of this scenario is what makes it kind of believable. Almost like, "I couldn't make this stuff up." :)

12:36 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, right, a hard ass with a soft marshmallow center. Heh.

Holly, I couldn't make this stuff up. Totally like that.

I should know by now that you and Wendy wouldn't lead me astray. See ya Sunday!

1:57 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home