A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, January 30, 2009

January 2009 - Reading List

The Girl Most Likely To… by Susan Donovan B
This was a pleasant and totally predictable romantic comedy. It was a good ‘coming home’ story.

Midnight Soldier by Vonna Harper
C
Ask me why I bought a book with a ghost in it. I’m nuts that’s why. What, you might ask, overcame the ghostiness? A soldier. What else?

Undercover by Lauren Dane C
Love in space. Unfortunately, I just didn’t care about the characters they way I should have.

Veil of Midnight by Lara Adrian C
I’m a fan of this series and was a bit disappointed in this book. This was another book where I didn’t connect with the characters.

Stay the Night by Lynn Viehl B-
This is Robin’s book. As in Robin of Locksley or Robin Hood. Here we have 700 year old thief felled by 21st century cop. I love Ms. Viehl’s writing, I do, but this one just didn't dig in they way her books usually do. This too is the last Darkyn book. Luckily for us she has a new series starting with the Kyndred which will be set in the same world as the Darkyn books.There’s an excerpt in the back of STAY THE NIGHT. I'm intrigued and can’t wait.

Marrying the Captain by Carla Kelly B+
This book is the total opposite of the previous two. I love Carla Kelly's writing. How does she write and make you believe you are right there? You feel the cold.You feel the longing. These characters are so real and genuine. I really liked this book.

Only Pleasure by Lora Leigh C+
I ask myself all the time why I keep buying her books. They are becoming so one dimensional for me and predictable… same story, same dialogue. Nothing new. I guess I keep going back to the well because of the exhilaration of those first books I bought at Ellora’s Cave that opened a whole new world for me. Anyway, this is part of her Bound Hearts series. I liked it a bit better than some of her recent ones. And, I can hardly believe I’m saying this… I hope she does something really spectacular for Khalid. She needs to, for me. Heh.


Love without Blood by Raz Steel DNF


An Officer and a Millionaire by Maureen Child C+
This isn’t a particularly deep book and it certainly is predictable, but Ms. Child had an interesting twist on the arranged marriage. It was a fun, quick read.

For the Love of Pete by Julia Harper B+
FBI guy, girl in peril, a missing baby and some fabulous secondary characters make this book a very worthwhile read. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

First Born by Lindsay McKenna C
I reviewed this one here for TBR day.

Tempt the Devil by Anna Campbell B
This is another historical from Ms. Campbell about a British lord and a courtesan. I don’t how she hooks me in but she does. I imagine there is plenty to find objectionable here, but I think she writes true to the times and it’s sensibilities.

Letters to Kelly by Suzanne Brockmann B
I am reviewing this one for Nath’s Re-Read challenge. I picked it up off my shelves after obsessing about it. My obsession was sparked by my recent thoughts of our military serving overseas in Afghanistan and Iraq.

What I did for Love by Susan Elizabeth Phillips B
A solid performance by SEP. Characters from her recently re-released GLITTER BABY appear in this one. I didn't have any laugh out loud moments, but even when she stretches the plot a bit the ride is so darn enjoyable you over look it. I did. Mostly.

Thirteen books this month. 2009 is off to a great start!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had to chuckle when I saw LOVE WITHOUT BLOOD was a DNF for you. I'm glad it wasn't just me! The idea was good, but I thought the writing really needed some work, and there was too much purple prose that made me giggle.

5:44 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Karen, whoever marketed that book (LOVE WITHOUT BLOOD) did a good job because I think the cover got my attention and then I picked up the book and thought. Yes, I'll try this. I just couldn't buy into it after about 50 pages I called it a day.

5:48 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

You got your January reading list up!! Yay for you Rosie!!

You did great this month by the way!! We pretty much gave the same grade for the books we both read... The Girl Most Likely To and For the Love of Pete.

8:20 PM PST  
Blogger Marg said...

That is a good start to the year.

11:01 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nathie, yes, I got this list up but not my re-read review. I hope to still post it later today.

Marg, I think this is a good start for 2009 too.

1:37 PM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

Wow look at you go. You read some great books!

12:27 PM PST  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I was thisclose to buying that Raz Steel book. Thank goodness I didn't but sorry it was a DNF for you.

7:02 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, whoever did that cover or got shelf placement did a good job because I picked the book up probably 3 times before I actually bought it. I just wish it could have delivered.

9:14 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home