A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Gobsmacked by LB Gregg



Gobsmacked by L.B. Gregg

When you have a friend write a book you are naturally excited and supportive of their new adventure. I know I was. By the time I met Lisabea last year at RWA, I sort of knew from her blog that she was writing, but I didn't really know. Ya know?

Anyway, shortly after meeting her she clues me in that she's writing M/M and getting ready to submit. A big part of the reason she went to RWA was to network and pitch her book. How cool was that? Very. I was equal parts fascinated and excited while watching her navigate new and scary waters in an endeavor to get her book published.

It wasn't long after coming home from the conference that I got word from Lb that her first book, GOBSMACKED, was going to be published. Now, a good friend would have been worried about lots of things that had to do with their friend's new challenges. Sadly, I have to admit that most of my worry early on was all about, uh...me.

The little hamster on the wheel of my brain kept thinking things like, what if I don't like it? Most everyone knows I adore Lb, but what if I didn't like her book? Could I tell her? Would she be angry if I didn't like it? Would I have the nerve to tell her I didn't like it? If I told her, would our fledgling friendship be over? Sounds like a soap opera, doesn't it?


Fortunately, all that angst was for naught.

You've never seen such a relieved and happy person as I was reading the last page of GOBSMACKED. Grinning I was. I immediately called Lb to tell her how relieved I was the book was good. Yep. That's what I said. "Lb! I'm so relieved your book is good!" What a friend huh?


GOBSMACKED takes place in the small New England town of Smithfield. I love Smithfield. I want to live in Smithfield. Lb somehow makes it seem nice even during the cold and blustery winter when the story takes place. It seems like an idyllic place to live. Sure, people know your business, but they also care about you. *cue music*

"You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name."


This story is character driven, which is something I've mentioned many times as one of my favorite things about a book. These are real people with messy lives. They aren't perfect. They make mistakes. This story follows Mark who is breaking up with Jamie, and Tony the local resident cop or 'Trooper', as Lb refers to him. Interesting men, good looking, messed up and so very, very human.

I've read this novella twice now. I've found different things that delight me each time. It's a quick easy read and once you start it, you don't want to put it down. I know I didn't.

Yes, we all know I love Lb, but I'm absolutely delighted to tell you, this is a good book. You should read it. You won't be sorry you did.

My grade = B+

Labels: ,

14 Comments:

Blogger lbgregg said...

Hah! Ain't that the truth? As a blogger, I don't think there is anything harder than opening a book written by a friend. It causes anxiety! I know exactly how you feel.

And, you know, when folks said to me: OMG I'm so relieved! It was gratifying...it's so much better than hearing crickets chirp.

Cheers, Rosie, you sweet thang~this calls for a Gin & Tonic in the bar in DC...And thank you for your honesty. (Plus, that was such a great phone call)

I love Smithfield. Next installment will be out the end of April. ::gulp::

5:36 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lb, so are you doing ebook in one place and print in another? What's the scoop this time?

6:42 AM PST  
Blogger lbgregg said...

Aspen Mountain Press will carry the Men of Smithfield ebooks, the next is a cutie: Happy Endings. MLR Press will release the print version of Gobsmacked in their Smart Ass series (heh) the end of this month.

7:23 AM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm right in the middle of it. Loving it. So irreverent. Just like our LB. The first scene was priceless.

7:33 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Still need to buy this one (sorry LB!) - damn this Obligation Reading I'm buried under right now.

8:18 AM PST  
Blogger Renee said...

More Smithfield next month? Awesome! Looking forward to reading it, LB. :-)

3:17 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Oooooohhh!! I've seen this cover around on blogland for the past few weeks... but didn't realize it was Lisabea!!

5:45 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks for the 4-1-1 Lb. I can't wait for the next installment.

Lori, Mark's a pip isn't he. You never know what he's going to do next.

Wendy, man oh man, I don't know how you do it every year.

Renee, isn't it great that we don't have to wait very long?

Nathie, yep, our very own home grown Lisabea! Isn't it awesome?

7:30 PM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

Haha - I'm so relieved your book is good. That's wonderful! And it was - the book I mean - it was wonderful. I really loved it and can't wait for the next one!

10:37 PM PST  
Blogger KT Grant said...

I think that would be my biggest fear as a writer about having friends read my work over strangers.
LB, you have a hit on your hands :D

6:21 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kate, she's terrific isn't she? I can't wait to read more about her Smithfield men.

6:33 AM PST  
Blogger Joanna Chambers said...

And you didn't even mention how funny it (and she) is.

::coughtorhowhotthesexscenesarecough::

12:25 PM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

I see you T. Heh. T.

Lets see. Thanks guys!!

Lori~Hope you're enjoying it. It's SO weird to have done this thing, but exciting. And aren't you guys phenomenal?

Wendy~No worries. You'll be RWA, right? ZOMG we have to go to the promo room together and you can LUST over my gobsmackers. (have to get those made...)

Renee~I'm crossing my fingers. Either end of April or early May. YAY for writing them last year! Woot!

Nath~Tis moi. I'm all in disguise, like. (fail)

Tracy~Thanks Tracy! I can't wait to revise the third. And come up with a title. YIKES.

KB~Hit? Aw. Well, it's doing ok. The little Gob that could. G thinks gobsmacked is a disgusting name, fyi. His mind is in the gutter.

Rosie~mwah.

2:17 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tumperkin, Haaaa - awttttt... doesn't begin to cover it. I swear though, that kissing scene, the first one at Tony's place? Ho-lee crap! Just excellent.

9:44 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home