A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, March 01, 2009

February 2009 - Reading List

I read only nine ten books this month, but I'm more than satisfied as that is more than two books a week. Although I cheated a little bit with that last ebook. However, I had a pretty busy month at work and a very full and satisfying blog month as well, so I'm counting February as a good month all around.

Dark of Night by Suzanne Brockmann I liked this one for its complexity and the interesting pairing of Decker and Tracy. I reviewed it here.
My grade = B


A Red Hot Valentine's Day Anthology by Megan Hart, Lacy Danes, Jackie Kessler, and Jess Michaels
Is it a surprise I bought this one for the Megan Hart story? I enjoyed both Hart's and Dane's contributions.
My grade = C


Reigning in the Rancher by Karen Templeton
Silhouette Special Edition #1948 January 2009. This is the second book in Ms. Templeton's 'Wed in the West' series for SSE. I read it out of order and on it's own. Don't faint, but I reviewed this one too. A solid, enjoyable, quick read. No one does category better. My grade = B

Scandal by Carolyn Jewel
I reviewed this one too. I really liked this book and my grade reflects that. I'm looking for Ms. Jewel's back list now. Anybody have a rec from her prior books?
My grade = B+

Coyote's Mate by Lora Leigh
Yes, I'm fully aware of what I say every time I put one of these books on my monthly list. I'm addicted. I admit it. However, I am trying to break the habit. Truly. I am. I blame Zeek for this one. She said it was good so then, I had to buy it. Right? This one is without a new twist, or any progression in the breed story line in sight, but I did finish it.
My grade = C

Mr. Impossible by Loretta Chase
This was my TBR Challenge read. You can see my review here.
My grade = B+/A-

The Ideal Wife by Mary Balogh
This was a very traditional Brit historical. The new Earl of Severn must marry. He believes his ideal wife to be someone dull and unremarkable. He makes a deal with a 'poor relation' who turns out to be anything but. Her family and the sekrits she keeps from the hero Miles get to be a bit tedious toward the end. A very quick read.
My grade = B-/C+

Dogs & Goddesses (Anthology) Jennifer Crusie, Anne Stuart, Lani Diane Rich
I tried 3x to finish this. I got a third of the way through it and just couldn't care much about the story or the premise. I didn't think it was cute and the talking dogs were just a distraction.
My grade = DNF

The Trapper by Jenna Kernan
This book started out in typical Kernan fashion and grabbed me in. Her characters are always true to the times and usually what one would call 'ordinary' people. That holds true here, but the story and conflict weren't anything I could really sink my teeth into.
My grade = C+


Banner O'Brien by Linda Lael Miller
This book I finished by the hair of my chiny chin chin for Nath's ReRead Challenge. I loved the Corbin books when I read them a forever ago. I wrote about how this wasn't quite the same experience.
My grade = C+

The Strength of Three by Annmarie McKenna
I've had this ebook from Samhain for awhile. It was only 80 pages so I don't think you can really call that a book, but I was in the mood for something a little racy and decided on this one. Ye olde menage story. While it didn't at all deal with menage in a realistic way the characters had potential. I was disappointed at the lack of story, but I think if Ms. McKenna decides to write full length she'll probably do well. Oh, and, uh...the smex was sizzling.
My grade = C

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Jenster said...

Nine is good!! I only finished one book and am still reading the second book I started in Feb. Sad!

From your list I've only read Mr. Impossible and The Ideal Wife. I am in complete agreement with your opinion. I love the Carsington series - the characters, the settings, the whole thing.

I was very disappointed in The Ideal Wife. It was obvious it was one of Ms. Balogh's earlier works because it was so blah. Really, really blah. If I recall correctly he was a bit of a wet dishrag, wasn't he?

Anyway - great critiques!

6:56 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Great list once again Rosie!! and you had many good reads, so that's good :D It's unfortunate for the Crusie collaboration, but I get why :)

8:59 AM PST  
Blogger Tracy said...

Look at you go girl! 2 books a week is great considering your work stress. Keep up the good work! :)

9:21 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jen, well I certainly feel better this month. Even with all the 'stuff' going on at work I really feel like February was a good balance month for me.

Nath, I like my new format (bolding and putting the grades like that at the end) it's flowing better for me. I'm also keeping a running list as I go. That's helping tremendously.

Tracy, you are so darn sweet. Thanks!

10:16 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

I need to think about posting my list.

I'm with you - I pretty much draw the line at talking animals. I mean, how precious can you get? Be honest now, was your gag reflex strong enough? LOL - maybe not since it was a DNF.....

10:28 AM PST  
Blogger Renee said...

I like these quick reviews, Rosie!

I'll definitely be getting to Mr Impossible.
Why oh why did Jennifer Crusie and Anne Stuart waste their time on this when they could have been writing good stuff? sigh

11:26 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, Sir Pup is a real character in Meljean Brook's Demon books, but he doesn't speak and he isn't so 'precious'. I just couldn't handle it.

Renee, I offer you a resounding 'Amen'. I can certainly understand the allure of doing a book with some buddies and having a good time, but it just didn't jive for me. I didn't care about the characters, didn't feel anything for them and it wasn't funny, at least not to me. However, I'll give this caveat, I might not recognize what they were trying to do. For example, maybe the intention wasn't to be funny.

12:25 PM PST  
Blogger Leya said...

Looks like a pretty good month! :D

I haven't read Mary Balogh in years! Is An Ideal Wife a new title or a reprint?

Happy reading,
Leya

1:41 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Leya, it was a re-release, but I don't think a recent one.

3:16 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home