A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, October 06, 2009

What's in the Daily News?

What's in the Daily News? I'll tell you what's in the Daily News!!!

Yep. I'm still channeling songs from GUYS AND DOLLS. Once those tunes are in your head they just won't let go. Any way, you know what today is? Release day.



This is it. INDISCREET by Carolyn Jewel is out. Read Chapter 1. Read my review. Or, you know, go to your nearest book store and buy it. Or go online and buy it. Here's the ebook version at the Sony store.

We had a very busy weekend. I visited my youngest sister and went to her husband's "pinning on" ceremony. Her husband is an officer in the US Air Force and recently was promoted to 'Major'. We spent Friday with her and went to the ceremony and the party afterward. Much fun.

Saturday we had a wedding of someone I know (yes, one of the firefighters) from work. Since we have a fire nearby the ceremony, which was held outside, got partially drowned out by the helicopters filling up with water nearby so they could drop it on the fire. Irony anyone?

Sunday was catching up with chores and I did some reading. Monday it was back to the salt mines and open enrollment for our health benefits.

It seems like forever since I really sat down and went through my feed reader to catch up, but it's really been less than a week. So I guess it's not so bad that there are 254 posts to read. My hope is to stop by and see you all sometime this week. Theoretically speaking. What an optimist I am.

My September reading list is in limbo. Hopefully it will get done this week as well. I've been doing these lists every month for almost two years. Can't hardly believe that. I really like having the record of my reading on my blog, so I gotta get going on that.

Oh, one last bit of news... Beanie was home last night. He's taken to doing standup on Wednesday nights at a nearby coffee shop on 'open mike night'. He used his zombie material the first time and did pretty well. The second time he used some school and friend anecdotes and told us he pretty much bombed. Then last week, we get a text message that said, "It was amazing! I got 8 big laughs!!!" Last night I found out he was using ME as his subject matter.

He had a wicked gleam in his eye as he tells GG and I that "of course" he embellished and added things to make the material funny, but he said that stuff I did was pretty funny so he didn't have to change reality that much. At this point I'm trying to decide if I should be flattered or offended. He told us a couple of the stories he used and I choked on my diet coke laughing. They were funny, but I want to be emphatically clear, they were NOT true.

Beanie: Mom, you are hilarious.

Me: You didn't think I was hilarious when you lived at home.

Beanie: Trust me I thought you were hilarious, I just didn't let you know.

Me: *eyes narrowed* Didn't let me know?

Beanie: *laughing uproariously* Are you kidding me? If I laughed at you I'd still be locked in the basement.

Me: We don't have a basement.

Beanie: I know. *still laughing*

Me: *horrified* Do you tell jokes about me locking you in closets or something? 'Cuz that's not funny.

Beanie: *laughing too hard to reply*

Okay, I'm stupid. What's so funny about that?

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Kati said...

*lips twitching*

There's NOTHING funny.

Ah Rosie, don't you know, it's up to the children to blame their parents for everything? Maybe you should crash the show though to see what's so funny.

A firefighter wedding...do they do anything fancy for it? Sadly, I've only ever been to firefighter funerals, and they do a hell of a job honoring those who die in the line. I just wondered if their weddings are fancy too. Perhaps that's an inappropriate question. If so, sorry.

6:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kati, yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm responsible for all the therapy Bean hasn't started to go to yet. I figure he an get most of his angst out with this stand up stuff. At least it's not in a coffee house that's nearby so I don't have to suffer friends coming up to me and repeating something outrageous he said.

Firefighter weddings. I've been to exactly 2. In our department they marry young and party hard. That pretty much sums up the wedding on Saturday. No particular traditions or anything... except that 90% of the attendees were also firefighters.

6:26 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!! You're son is hilarious.

Oh, a Firefighter wedding! I love firefighters. I think everyone loves firefighters. Now wonder there was a wedding ;)

My reader is topping out at 700 unread posts...so I feel you. It's my mission today to try and catch up.

BTW, I have Indiscreet!!!! I'm reading it now.

7:09 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh and that's your son, not you're son...sigh...long week. Plus I was distracted by thoughts of cute firefighters ;)

7:09 AM PDT  
Blogger Renee said...

OK, so I see what B means, since YOU had me totally laughing in this post!

Oh, I'll be running down to b & n later today for Indiscreet. Can't wait!

10:11 AM PDT  
Blogger lisabea said...

I read the Beanie story and I immediately wondered if he told the photo ticket story. .. .

Beanie. OMG that's just too funny.


(I promise not to give him any new material)


Hugs. Plus I love Guys and Dolls!! Sue me, sue me, shoot bullets through me, I love you.

(Big Girl is singing it to me now).

3:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

LOL Oh Rosie of course kids think we're funny. At least that's what I keep telling myself - it's the only way I'm getting through. :)

Beanie is a funny guy - you should go sneak in the back and see what he's saying about you? :)

1:39 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Hey good stuff for Beanie!!

And really Rosie, you have to share. LOL

9:08 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home