A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Why do you blog?

You know just when you think there are a lot of not-so-bright people out there one can read a couple of blogs and realize there are alot of funny, talented, and witty individuals huddled in offices, gas stations, offices, school rooms, and homes. We are passing them in doctor's offices, the grocery store and the mall. We see them at the movies, church and little league games.

Where are all these gems in my real world life? They've got to be out there. So, it got me wondering. Is that why we blog? Why do you blog?

Which while free associating brought me to thinking about the funny, clever, original ideas and thoughts out there in cyber space that I get a chance to read every day. I realized that an element of my own competitiveness and well...envy occasionally kicks in and I have to refrain from writing or posting something in reaction to someone else's thoughts and ideas.

I'm not talking about commenting on their page. I'm talking about making their thoughts and ideas the spring board for my own. It seems so....well cheap and sleazy. Don't get me wrong, I'm not casting stones, because I've done it.

I borrowed an idea of my sisters' to write 100 things about myself. I was intrigued to see what I would write because my sister's post was so good. However, while my sister's post was revealing, funny and totally self-effacing...mine was too stilted and contrived. It wasn't coming from a genuine place.

Imagine to my competitive surprise that I found I'm not as good at writing for mass appeal as my little sister...or many, many other creative people whose sites I visit and read regularly. It has taken me a little while, but I think finally get it.

It doesn't really matter if anyone else likes what I write or comments on it. It makes me feel good to do it. I'm having fun. And, while I love for people to visit and comment, I realized I'm really doing this for myself. Wow! Character growth and blogging...ya think?!!!

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger WarriorM said...

First of all, SHUT UP! You know the only reason people comment on my site is because I give everyone and their brother my opinion, so they feel obligated.

Also, I blog for two reasons:

1) I like the connectiveness idea. You know how we can find each other out there who we can connect with no matter what age, race, religion, political affiliation or sexual preference, we can bond in bloggville.

2) I like blogging as opposed to my regular duties of cooking, cleaning, laundry and all around schlepping of other peoples crap.

3:59 PM PDT  
Blogger Karen Scott said...

I blog for one reason and one reason alone. Godammit I lurve, lurve, LURVE the sound of my own keyboard!

OK, I actually blog for two reasons, the second being that the constant writing keeps my brain sharp..

I have an opinion on EVERYTHING, from politics, to which brand of lipstick I like the best!

When I first started blogging, I used to constantly watch my blog stats to see how many hits I was getting, but after a while, that soon got old.

The fact is, nowadays, It doesn't bother me too much. The main thing is that I use my blog as a kind of stream of consciousness, where I can give my opinion without fear of being told off.

Blog for you and only you!

7:07 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home