A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, November 11, 2005

Books, Vets, Vegas & why I need a break!!

First of all I want to thank all of you who have left suggestions for books. I've actually written a couple of them down to check out and lucky for me the Katherine Allred book DID come out Thursday at Cerridwen Press so I bought that already. I'm going to print it out and take it with me on my trip this weekend.

Today is Veterans Day. I think about and say a prayer for the families who are separated and have someone serving overseas in Afghanistan or Iraq. I can't imagine living with the worry and fear for your loved one who is serving.

My Dad was a fighter pilot in the USAF and served during the Vietnam War, two of his brothers fought in WW II, I have a brother and nephew who are U.S. Navy vets and my brother-in-law is in missles in the USAF now, so the day has some significance to our family. Growing up a military brat and now seeing my sister Mary and her husband living a nomadic life in the military I'm reminded that like serving in our communities as fire fighters and police officers, it is a noble profession. One we take for granted.

Recently I watched A FEW GOOD MEN again with the guy I live with. You know that while the Jack Nicholson character turns out to be the bad guy, he makes a valid point in his monologue about serving. We do take our military and the security they provide us for granted. I'm not talking about the war in Iraq either. I am talking about serving without complaint and being prepared to defend your country and its' citizens even unto death. It ain't no small thing. I lift my glass to all who serve their communities whether as teachers, fire fighters, police officers or in the armed forces.

Which brings me to this weekend. GG and I are off to fabulous LAS VEGAS!! All I can say is "What happens in Vegas...stays in Vegas!" I'll clue you in on Monday, but needless to say I'm soooooo looking forward to the break.

As to why I need the break...what else...the effing job!! However, I go on my trip with a lighter heart because we truly received a gift from God today. The perfect candidate for the job sent in a resume and has already gone through preliminary interviews. So I'm breathing easier knowing they have an almost cookie cutter perfect person to take my place with a minimum of stress and training due to his extensive experience. Talk about taking a load off my mind! Whew! Now I have even more reason to live it up in Sin City.

I'll fill you in on the goings on next week. Now all I have to worry about is the two child units not burning down the house or killing each other while I'm gone.


8 calendar days and 5 work days until LIBERATION!


Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home