A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, November 09, 2005

READER HELL



Yes, my friends. I am in READER HELL. You know that period of funk where everything you read sucks? It doesn't seem to matter what genre or subject matter. It all seems flat...boring...dull...and very inconsequential.

I'm afraid to read any of my old stand-by favorites for fear I will taint their beloved memory forever.

I've determined that what I need is a book so good, so mind bending, so riveting that I can't put it down. A book that will keep me up all night reading. God...I want to read a good book!

So come on people, help me out...I'm desperate and I miss reading. Besides, at this point my TBR is so ridiculous that I probably have the book you might recommend. So, if you have a book you've read recently that you just couldn't put down...tell me...I'm begging you!!! What is your old standby favorite? I'm not worried about tainting your favorite book's beloved memory. Tell me what it is! Hey maybe it will become one of my favorites too!

What book made you laugh? Made you cry? Made you change your life or look at a person or situation differently? What was the last book you read that was so good you told all your friends about it and your significant other finally threw up their hands and read it too!

Okay, I feel better knowing that I'm being proactive about my "dead calm" period of reading. I'm just sitting here waiting for the wind to fill my sails now. Anybody feel a breeze?

10 calendar days and 8 work days to liberation

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Karen Scott said...

Well, I can recommend Lisa Valdez's Passion, Julie Garwood's Honor's Splendour, Linda Howard's Son of The Morning (if you haven't read it yet)Linda Howard's Cry No More.

I bought a ton of Blaze books the other day, and the only one I can recommend is Susan Kearney's Bordering on Obsession, so I kinda know how you feel, but to be honest my TBR pile is just out of control so book-buying abstinence may be a good thing anyway!

9:24 AM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Okay, when I'm in funk I always pull out SEP. She has NEVER let me down and is among a very select few authors that I've read a title more than once. Also I was thinking about the book Grand Avenue the other day by Joy Fielding, she also wrote the First Time. I loved them both and highly recommend them. Also, Black and Blue by Anna Quindlen is really good, but depressing.

Those are all more mainstream and books I know you probably haven't read. Most romances I've read you've read, so sorry. Was Blow Me Down sucky? I haven't purchased it yet, so I was wondering if that's among the disappointing reads. What about the new Feehan? Please don't tell me that sucked too!

Oh, I know you're not a joiner, but I still highly recommend Angles and Demons! :-)

11:17 AM PST  
Blogger Anne said...

I have to say when I get into a funk where all the books I read just don't appeal to me, I read Sarah McCarty's "Promises" series, Jaci Burton's Dream On. I just read Sharon Sala's "Second Chances" the other day and bawled my eyes out. You can never go wrong with Sharon Sala. I read Blue Smoke by Nora Roberts which was good, Hot Number by Carly Phillips which was good. Then there's Katherine Allred's The Sweet Gum Tree from Cerridwen Press... a tear jerker for sure. As with Sharon Sala, you can't go wrong with a Katherine Allred book.

I hope you find a good book! Good luck!

5:32 PM PST  
Blogger Anne said...

Oh, and I forgot... Match Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips was a great read.. laugh out loud funny. : )

5:33 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. If anyone else reads the post...don't stop with the suggestions, I'm hoping to get jump started out of these doldrums.

Karen, I've read everything you suggested except the Lisa Valdez book. I've given it the once over in the book store and gave it a pass just because I wasn't familiar with the author and said megrims about reading.

Mary, yeah SEP has never let me down either. I love her stuff. I've considered re-reading all the football team related books...just cause it's the season. I'll let you know what I decide.

BTW, I started BLOW ME DOWN and haven't picked it up again. Just didn't grab me. I have Feehan's new book but am scared that in my present state of mind I might not give the book a fair reading. I've done that before. I've been really disappointed in a book and for one reason or another gone back to it...liked it and wondered what was wrong with me.

Anne, we like the same books! I adore Sarah McCarty's Promise books. I just finished re-reading them in paperback before I entered my funk. I did a count down to SEP's release of MATCH ME IF YOU CAN. I adore her books.

I started reading Katherine Allred based on Karen's review. I love her. I have my fingers crossed that there is a new Katherine Allred release from Cerridwen tomorrow. From looking at the Coming Soon page it appears so. Yippie, skippy doo-dah day! Maybe it will do the trick.

6:47 PM PST  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

I loved Stones From The River by Ursula Hegi, as well as The BeeKeeper by Sue Monk Kidd.

9:28 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home