A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

100th Blog Post & Other Random Thoughts

I've noticed alot of people posting random thoughts lately. Is it because our attention span is short waiting for Spring to start? I don't really know, but here I am jumping on the band wagon.

This is my 101st blog! I've already written 100 of them. I still feel like I just started. Of course, I want to jazz up my blog site too, but keep procrastinating. I'm kind of bored with the pink stuff. Hmmm...so why haven't I changed?

Although I didn't have to even wear an overcoat until February, I'm sick of winter. I'm sick of wind and rain. Winter can just go pound sand. Preferably nice warm and tropical sand with lots of sunshine.

Right about now my sister who lives in Montana is shrieking at this post and probably giving me the cyber equivalent of "the finger". She lives with snow for 6 (or more) months of the year. Snow with three boys 8 years and under who have be bundled head to toe multiple times a day to go outside. Yeah, no sympathy from that quarter about sucky winter weather. Or from my pal Steadman who lives in cheery MINNIE-SO-TAH either.

Do you think Jimmy Smits (as Matt Santos) is going to be elected President on
WEST WING? Who is going to be Vice Prez since the actor John Spencer who plays Leo McGarry died? Maybe you don't care, but this program is one of two (HBO'S DEADWOOD being the other) that the guy I live with really likes. Of course, he is a purist and doesn't think the show has been the same since Aaron Sorkin quit producing and writing it...no snap and crackle to the dialogue. However, it is still a show he watches faithfully. So Jimmy Smits or Alan Alda? Wouldn't it be great to actually have candidates like that to chose from? All real politicians seem so slimey. Have they always been that way, or am I just getting more cynical as I get older?

Boy it seems like everybody is blogging book reviews these days. I've found I don't say too much about the books I read unless I really enjoy one. I also realized that I can't do a decent review when I try to write about a book I didn't like. First of all I never can get much beyond: Book Title A by Author X really blows!

It seems I have a hard time putting my finger on what exactly made me not like it. Which brings me to another point. I really enjoy reading other reader reviews where they are very honest and forthright in their reviews whether it is favorable or not. The best ones are able to tell you, usually in a clever way, why they like or dislike a book without either annhilating or gushing over an author. I really appreciate that kind of skill because I don't have it. I revel when a reviewer can capture exactly my thoughts and feelings about a book.

Now in person in the bookstore, just ask me what is a good read and then stand back. I've steered countless unsuspecting women on to Linda Howard, Iris Johansen, Janet Evanovich, Suzanne Brockmann, JD Robb, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Christine Feehan, and many, many more. When someone approaches me (I must have one of those "ask me about a good book" faces) I just ask a few questions about what sort of books appeal to them and then point them in the direction of an author I think they'd like. I should get a commission from my local Barnes and Noble!

I actually had one women stop and thank me later for turning her on to Linda Howard. You kidding me? If my house caught fire I'd save my Linda Howard books first...and Sarah McCarty's...and if I had time I'd also save...well lots of other books too but those books for sure. Of course I'd only save the books after I got the guy I live with and the kids out of house first! *g*

I also steer some young women on limited budgets to my favorite used bookstore to find back lists. It's what I did when I was younger with limited cash for books. Now I have a monthly book budget that would feed a family of four...and I buy lots of new books. So I figure I've more than made up for what I bought used.

So much for random thoughts. I kind of got wound up with the whole book review thing didn't I?

The book I'm most anticipating reading? DON'T LOOK DOWN by Jennifer Crusie and Bob Mayer due out April 4th. They are calling it a romantic adventure. It doesn't matter what tag they put on it. I've been so entertained by their writing process and their blog
HE WROTE, SHE WROTE that I'm anxious to see what they do when they write a whole book together. Mayhem should ensue. I can't wait!

My youngest son is going to be 16 on April 16th. Does that mean I'm old? No? Okay good,I didn't think so. Poor kid. This is the 3rd time his birthday has fallen on Easter Sunday. He hates that. Maybe we should do something particularly sacriligeous instead. Did I just say that?

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger WarriorM said...

Did you say Don't Look Down comes out April 4th?!?!?! I didn't realize it was that soon and I REALLY need a good book, I've looked around and I'm dying here. I just finished Sex, Lies and Online Dating by Rachel Gibson. I liked it, but after a bit of a book drought, I'm ready for something juicy!

Anyway, do something fun that Clay-Bob wants to do for his birthday. Don't worry about the whole Easter thing. You'll laugh to know that CJ told me he has to go to church on Easter because he never misses church on Easter Sunday. Wha??

9:11 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home