A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, November 26, 2006

Whoa Baby...There's a Whole Lotta Shakin' Going on...

Since last we met I, like many of you, have been quite busy. I've celebrated two birthdays with nieces, shopped, cooked and prepared Thanksgiving for my family, started my annual Christmas letter, and began decorating my house for Christmas. Okay, I didn't really do all this by myself the stalwart guys I live with helped out, but we've had one busy and some what productive week.

Yes, it is an unfortunate circumstance of my birth order (I'm an oldest child), my religious upbringing (Catholic) and the personality I was born with that I'm results oriented. Which in a nutshell means I like lists and crossing stuff off of them. Inevitably I over book the days and we end up moving items to another day. Then I have to go through my ritual of reminding myself to live a life and not watch my life. All in all it made for quite a week. Never a dull moment.

I watched Charlie Rose the other night. I've blogged about him before. I love the eclectic variety of guests he has. He frequently has a guest for a whole hour which is such a better interview than the usual talk show fare. Anyway Nora Ephron who we all know and love as a witty writer, and sometimes director, of faves like SLEEPLESS IN SEATTLE and WHEN HARRY MET SALLY is now doing a blog on The Huffington Post. In addition to that she currently has a book out which she was vamping on the show called I FEEL BAD ABOUT MY NECK AND OTHER THOUGHTS ON BEING A WOMAN.

In the midst of their familiar and snappy repartee, as it was obvious they are friends, they jumped on to the subject of blogging. According to Nora, and god knows she knows more about writing than I do, a blog post is an immediate thing. If you are taking more than say 45 minutes to write, edit, etc. It isn't a blog any more. Whoa Nellie! Forty-five minutes? Crikeys chickies...I frequently take longer than 45 measley minutes. There's the agony and ecstacy of doing justice to a review...there are links to find for godsakes! Forty-five minutes my sweet petunia! Maybe for you Nora, not so much for me. Speaking of which I should be wrapping this puppy up because I'm nearing...okay it's only been about 20 minutes so far, but I'm not done talking yet.

Okay did anyone catch OFF THE RECORD on HBO? It's a new series where musicians will be interviewed by Dave Stewart, music producer and performer and get the scoop on the story behind the song. Bono and Edge from U2 were the first guests. Cool show and I always love hearing the stories behind the songs. This is another band I really enjoy. The latest video with Green Day is awesome. CindyS. posted it recently.

In light of me being too busy to read, not knowing what to blog, taking too long to blog, etc. I've decided to put a video of U2 performing at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2005 with Bruce Springsteen...seemed fitting



Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Okay, I'm a first born, where are my list making skills!! Okay, my brother is 5 years younger than I am so I have discovered this means I really have the 'traits' of an only child. Yeah. Okay.

I saw Nora Ephron on Oprah and I thought that that was one bitter older woman. She didn't come off all that well but maybe it was just her vision of old age. I'm terrified enough, thank you, I don't want to know it sucks worse than I thought!

As for 45 minutes - I remember doing a post early on that took me two hours with pictures and links. I figure it takes what it takes. I can't force it, it'll flow out when it's ready.

We only get an HBO after it's been around for a while so I haven't seen what the show. I find I'm not as interested in *how* music comes about because I played the piano for years and have no musical talent to create my own songs. So I see people who can create these wonderful songs and I can't relate - I'm in awe of them. I could write lyrics but the music for it? Nope.

Obviously, my comments can take up to twenty minutes to type up ;)

This week is Christmas decorating time. No procrastinating!

CindyS

8:53 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm laughing because I'm the youngest, and I'm a complete procrastinator. Which is bad when you put me together with my hubby, also the youngest, and also a complete procrastinator. We usually get the house decorated for the holidays ummm... by the week before. That's only becuase the kids have been nagging already for 3 weeks to go get the tree.

This year we never did get around to decorating for Halloween. I meant to, but... sigh

As for blog posts, I never really timed mine. I know that my posts on Let's Gab don't take very long. My reviews usually take longer, but I never thought about timing myself. Now, of course, I'll have to do that.

10:13 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, the U2 show was very enjoyable. I just like hearing what made inspired them or what happy accident brought about the song. I could listen to that sort of thing all night. Yeah Nora Ephron is one tough cookie. She was married to Carl Bernstein one of the reporters who broke the Watergate stories...there's a little bit of bitterness about that. I loved your comments BTW, so don't change a thing.

Good luck w/the Christmas decorations I'll be working on mine too.

11:40 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, you sound like my baby sister. She may procrastinate some but she is such a sweetie and has such a good heart. I wouldn't change her for anything. You youngests are so much happier and laid back than us older neurotic oldest children who the parents "experimented" on. *vbg*

And good Lord, don't time your blogging! I was just making an observation on NE's 45 mins because some of mine I could charge rent by the time I get them composed and posted.

11:44 PM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I'm an oldest child also (well, at least I was but then I found out I had an older brother ~ but I've only met once, so I still consider myself the oldest), but I don't make lists ~ although I find myself responsible for everything. I try to take care of too much.

11:55 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Zeek, Charlie can get on my nerves too, but I just love the wide range of people he has on that you never see interviewed any where else.

Devonna, doesn't it suck sometimes to be responsible? I've tried at different times of my life to be really irresponsible and it just never "takes". Isn't that about the stupidest logic you ever heard? Who tries to do something dumb and irresponsible? Only a (me) neurotic oldest child that's who. *eye roll*

9:24 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home