A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Just Finished...

BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN by Julia Quinn and BIT THE JACKPOT by Erin McCarthy.

Both of these books were just enjoyable reads. I won't be stopping people in the aisles at my local B&N or Borders to tell them to read either one of them, but I enjoyed each of the books for being unapologetically what they are.

BRIGHTER THAN THE SUN is pretty much standard Regency fare, but Ms. Quinn does have some very clever and witty exchanges between the H/H. I very much enjoyed their relationship and its dynamic. This is a quick read and an enjoyable way to spend the afternoon. Great for when you are in the mood for something light.

I have to admit that I wasn't all that thrilled with the first Vegas Vampires book HIGH STAKES by Ms. McCarthy. Vampires and Las Vegas seem like a match made in...umm...er...hell? What surprised me is that after enjoying Ms. McCarthy's contemporaries so very much the foray into the vamp world didn't do much for me. Imagine my surprise when I decided to purchase the second book. Not only was I expecting not to like it, but I picked it up when I was in a defiant and obnoxious mood. So up against all that I still got engaged in the story and enjoyed it. Don't expect to read this and think you will be reading about the dark side of vampires particularly when the vamp world is in the middle of a presidential election. Yeah, interesting hook, huh? Again, an enjoyable read. Definitely a dessert of books and not the main course.

Right now I'm waiting for February 6th even with the TBR I have I'm anxious to read SEP's new book which is due out then and also, I'm going to give Lora Leigh another chance. I've been a big fan of her Breed series, but her storylines are beginning to have a repetitive theme to me. What books are you looking forward to this spring?

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Jenster said...

I am slowly trying to read all of Julia Quinn's backlog. I love her humor and "sassy banter". I haven't read that one yet and I'm looking forward to it.

3:32 PM PST  
Blogger Mailyn said...

I have so many books I'm looking forward to but they are mostly all Fantasy. Still, I am trying to stop buying until the TBR pile goes down!

5:36 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

I much prefer JQ's backlist to her frontlist. Her backlist is so much funinier and quirkier!

I think my fave by jer is Dancing at Midnight, followed by To Catch an Heiress. Old stuff, but fun :)

10:17 PM PST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to Elizabeth's Vaughn "Warlord." I just love that series!

6:40 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jenster, I really enjoy Julia Quinn and picked up this older book on a whim...I'm glad I did.

Mailyn, I put a dent in my TBR this month and am looking forward to buying a couple books in Feb.

Lori, I don't think I've read DANCING AT MIDNIGHT. I'll have to check and put it on my search list.


Racy, I read that series too. I loved the first book, but struggled through book 2

6:35 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Jenster, I really enjoy Julia Quinn and picked up this older book on a whim...I'm glad I did.

Mailyn, I put a dent in my TBR this month and am looking forward to buying a couple books in Feb.

Lori, I don't think I've read DANCING AT MIDNIGHT. I'll have to check and put it on my search list.


Racy, I read that series too. I loved the first book, but struggled through book 2

6:35 AM PST  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Hi Rosie,
Hey, do you know about paperbackswap.com? Or Frugalreader.Com, or any of the other book swap sites? I'm a member of paperbackswap.com and absolutely love it! Check it out.

3:51 PM PST  
Blogger Lori said...

Rosie, Dancing at Midnight is Belle's story, the cousin of Emma in Splendid. (if you've read that one). She's also Dunford's best friend (if you've read Splendid or Minx). It's actually a tad heavier than many of her earlier books, but still has that trademark humor in it that I like so much.

8:24 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home