A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got some sting...

If you couldn't tell from the title, this is a rant. If you aren't in the mood, click away now.

Have you noticed an escalation in snarkitude lately? Reading and scanning the news it just seems to be feud after feud in every corner of industry and news. Now I'm sure this isn't a new phenomenon. As long as there were two people on the planet I'm sure there were disagreements. I'm just wondering when it became the norm to report it, add fuel to the fire and call it "news". It's boring and distressing. So much so that my usual Nosy Nora is skimming and skipping any article that smacks of authors behaving badly or Rosie O'Donnell sniping at someone. Really...who cares?


Okay, I'm not naive, lots of people must care or the wires wouldn't carry the articles. I'm just wondering if anyone else is as tired of the drama and cartoon caricuture behavior of people in the public eye. Is it me?

Yesterday while blog hopping and catching up I read in the comments at KarenS blog that Avid Reader (Keishon) noted that when her hosting contract was up she was taking a break from blogging because she sick of the author versus reader debates. I have to agree with her. While I have been utterly amazed at how people shoot themselves in the foot, it doesn't interest me to know the details any more and I'm frankly sick of people trying to be clever, witty, and nasty over pretty much forgettable or ridiculous commentary they make on their blogs, in interviews, etc.

Look I enjoy the fun of making observations of the absurdity of some of the situations, I appreciate the wit and sometimes, yeah even the snark. But I am really burnt on people's self importance and offering opinions for the sole purpose of being inflammatory. I used to be a huge Rosie O'Donnell fan and right now I just wish she would zip her lip. She seems unhappy and going out of her way to antagonize people. For what? Why? Is the average person who watches "The View" looking for that at 9 a.m.? I've never been a fan of Donald Trump and now the two of them are at each other's throats. You'd think they'd both be too busy to worry over something so ridiculous.

So, I'm in a "no snark" frame of mind. Have an opinion, make an observation, write a review, I love to read what you think, but I'd really appreciate it if you left snark at home.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Gabrielle said...

God, I am SO with you!!!! I'm just tired of it, esp. the author vs. reader thing. Seriously, WTF?? I've seen a few posts of the "The reader is always right, but..." variety that make me want to shout "Stop it! Have some class!" Because it's not about the writing, it's getting into personalities going up against one another and you just can't win there. I am the *first* person to say "you know, that's bullsh!t" but I don't need to inflame the situation because it just adds to the negative energy in the world.

So forget that crap and have some eggnog and sing some carols and be THANKFUL for all you have. Doesn't mean you have to be a sap, but enough with the snark.

Happ, happy holidays :-)

2:04 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep me too. It gets pretty darn old real quick. Giving an opinion doesn't mean totally trashing other people and Rosie is getting on my nerves nit picking everything apart. I get that she has a job to do but I don't understand why it has to be controversial all of the time.;)

6:40 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I agree ~ I used to like Rosie O'Donnell. I taped her show every day, every year it was on. But now? Now, I react to her like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Like you, I'm trying to be in the "no snark" state of mind. I try to avoid these things. I like to make up my own mind ~ and let's face it ~ we've all said or done things at times that we wish we could take back. I say it'll soon be a new year ~ we all start with a clean slate. How clean can we keep it?

8:00 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, thankful I am to be sure. And I plan to indulge in the egg nog post haste. Happy holidays!

Scooper, some people still dig Rosie O because the ratings on the View went up something like 30% when she started...go figure!

Devonna, I'm with you on a clean slate in the new year! Merry Christmas!

8:19 AM PST  
Blogger Holly said...

I'm totally with you, Rosie, 500%. I'm so tired of all the gossip and snark and just plain rude behavior.

We all say/do things that aren't the brightest from time to time, but to take it to the level people have? Well, that's just sad.

I saw a headline in the supermarket the other day that Anniston TOLD OFF Jolie. WHO CARES! It's OVER AND DONE WITH! GET OVER IT!

But you know, hardly anyone wants to hear about happiness. We might ooh and ahh over something sweet, but when it comes down to it, we crave the unhappy. Perhaps it's cynical of me to say so, but that's just the way it is, I think.

I'm going to d/l some Mary Poppins songs and zone out on good cheer for awhile. Maybe that will help. lol

12:37 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home