A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, November 09, 2007

A GENTLE RAIN by Deborah Smith




Before this quickie review, I must apologize about its brevity. I have a thundering bad headache and I wanted to get something about the book posted, so mea culpa.

Deborah Smith does not write the same book twice. What she does very well is get her hooks into you and then just doesn't let go. You find yourself invested, interested and sometimes riveted by her stories. I'm struck with the industriousness of her characters. She rarely has time or room for a lazy slacker in her stories. Her characters may not lead big lives but they certainly have full ones. There is always so much heart and life to her characters. A GENTLE RAIN is no exception. As I read it I was immersed in her characters pain and joys deeply. They felt real and knowable.

In A GENTLE RAIN we have Ben, the tough Florida cowboy with an unusual and motley group of people who help him run his cattle ranch, and Kara, who feels lost and orphaned at 32 when her parents die. Grief stricken Kara is stunned to find out her parents were not her parents after all. Rather than make the story about a search this is a tale about discovery. Finding her biological parents is not the journey Kara is on. Their location as part of the quasi-family Ben has formed on his ranch is never the mystery. Why and how it happened that she was adopted by the richy-rich Whittenburg family, raised in a rain forest and left extremely wealthy after their deaths is what this book is about.

While I loved this story and the characters...and I did...alternating between Kara and Ben's POV was at times distracting. When the individual narrations got lengthy I would sometimes forget who the "I" was. But this is a small quibble when balanced with the rest of the story.

While the plot is a familiar story Ms. Smith imbues it with a few quirks, twists, and lots of heart. A very enjoyable read for an autumn evening. I hope you'll try it.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger lisabea said...

I haven't read her in a while. Her books are so sweet...I may need to pick this up to cleanse my brain after that Nauti disaster.

4:40 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

I can't wait to get my hand on that book! I hope my friend will be able to buy it for me :D I wished however that she would go back to writing at the 3rd person instead of 1st... but I'm glad you liked the book, Rosie!!

5:43 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I have this one on my wishlist and will probably be picking it up soon. You've made me anxious to get it soon.

8:03 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Fully plan to get this one, but probably not until after the holiday. The way it's going right now, I'll be ordering it online....

8:06 AM PST  
Blogger ReneeW said...

I'm a huge fan of Deborah Smith and this sounds like another good one from her. I'll put it on my wishlist.

11:11 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

You sure do have a knack for writing a good review, Rosie. I'll have to look that one up.

4:25 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lisabea, I just love her writing. I re-read passages and am dazzled by how she gets things across sometimes. Simple and uncomplicated. No, there isn't steamy hot sex, but there is so much depth and honesty.

Nath, it's a good book. It's not exceptional like CROSSROADS CAFE was (to me), but a good book nonetheless.

Dev, I know you get books from the library. Librarians voted CROSSROADS some special award last year so I know libraries are very Deborah Smith friendly. You might find it there.

Wendy, I'll be anxious to see what you think of it. I haven't seen it in the store yet, but then I haven't been to a Borders. God knows my B&N won't have it without special ordering it.

Renee, if you like Deborah Smith already, you'll like this one too.

Becky, I can't recommend her enough. I really think you'd like her books. Email me. K?

6:25 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home