A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, December 01, 2007

November Reading List

Read 'em and weep says I. Aargh! Here's my list and quickie reviews of my November reads.

Pandora's Daughter by Iris Johansen
I've really enjoyed Iris Johansen's Eve Duncan series, even with some unusual psychic talent Pandora's Daughter was a bit too predictable for me.

Nauti Nights by Lora Leigh
This book
was fairly sizzling. I know I'll read the third book in this series, but lots of plot points in her straight contemps are becoming repetitious.

You Don't Know Jack by Erin McCarthy
I enjoyed both the McCarthy books I read this month. I think I've learned to stick with her contemporaries and stay away from her Vegas Vampires.

Virgin River by Robin Carr
I tried Rowena, I really tried, but I didn't like Virgin River all that much. It wasn't horrible, but it didn't capture my attention the way it seems to have so many others.

Holy Smokes by Katie MacAlister
An okay addition to the series and as far as I'm concerned tied everything up in a neat little bow. I know some readers are expecting another installment. I think we can put a fork in it.

Bodine's Bounty by Charlene Sands
Western fan though I be, I couldn't get into a western where the heroine wants to be a singer while traveling around, initially on her own, to find her long lost father. If you are going to have an unusual historical premise then you really have to sell it to me and make it believable. I thought the heroine was spoiled and whiney and didn't understand why Bodine would want her to begin with.

An Affair Before Christmas by Eloisa James
Eloisa James wrote a very competent historical. I was very interested in the characters but feel like the story was lacking something. Anybody else read it who can put their finger on it? Was it just me and my mood?

Bedded by Her Lord by Denise Lynn
DNF

Holidays are Hell Anthology by Harrison/Sands/Liu/Pettersson
I only read the Liu story Six. Intriguing and interesting as always, even though I didn't read the other stories her unique voice and story are worth the price of the anthology.

Raintree:Sanctuary by Beverly Barton
I got this at the UBS because after buying the first two and being disappointed I didn't want to buy the third installment. However, since the story and the 3 Raintree siblings have stuck in my memory that is saying something. So I finished it.

Mouth to Mouth by Erin McCarthy
I already blogged about this one here.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger lisabea said...

Hi Rosie~ I passed on Holy Smokes, which I guess was the right move. I haven't read any good reviews on it. Am I the only person who thought Nauti Nights was a disaster???

Novemeber was an up and down month for reading, wasn't it? Between the low points (see above) and the high points (Caine's Reckoning & Lord of Scoundrels) it proved to be a rollercoaster of reading.

5:35 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

I'm reading Virgin River now ~ only 150 pages into it. It's okay, but not something I'm drawn to curl up and read for an afternoon. I'm reading it in bits and pieces. I've got an Erin McCarthy in my TBR pile ~ I've read the first chapter, I may pick that up and see if I can finish it today.

7:36 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lisabea, you are more disciplined than I am. I had to buy HOLY SMOKES to see what happened and well...you know hope that it was as good as the first two books in the series. Or maybe, I just over Katie MacAlister.

November would have been a much better reading month if I was reading those two books, but alas they had already been fed to my voracious reading habit.

Dev, curling up with a good book sounds great right now because it is cold and rainy today, but the book wouldn't be VIRGIN RIVER. It's not horrible, just sort of boring.

8:06 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Virgin River was a curl up book for me :D

Nice post though Rosie :D I liked how you gave your opinion each book in a few lines :D (I try to, but I'm not very good at it)

November is over! let's rejoice!

11:01 AM PST  
Blogger Sam said...

I can't believe it's December already!
I like your short reviews!
Sam

12:34 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath and Sam, I like doing those quickie blurbs too because, you know, it's easier! :) I'm only moved to post long reviews when a book really doesn't work for me OR it's too good not to mention. Sad, but true.

10:50 PM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

You do such a great job of reviewing something concisely. It's awesome to get the full effect of a book review in just a sentence or two.

9:23 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Thanks Becky!

6:45 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home