A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, November 23, 2007

Black Friday

We had a full turkey dinner around 4 p.m. today. Yes, I know. Thanksgiving was yesterday. We had THAT full turkey dinner at my sister's house yesterday. Remember when I mentioned GG was home for the week? Remember the post saying I was cooking a turkey and then going to read? GG decided he didn't want turkey last Sunday and ordered from Roadhouse Grill. Side note: I'm shaking my head and rolling my eyes...again...into the back of my skull. End side note.

Then come Tuesday this week GG decided we needed to have left overs. I explained that you can't have left overs until you've had the meal to begin with and since he'd changed his mind about the turkey last Sunday the only way we would end up with left overs was if I cooked a turkey and if I was going to do that we might as well stay home and eat it.

Ever the problem solver, my man is, he concluded if you have turkey dinner the day after Thanksgiving it's still left overs since you didn't eat it on Thanksgiving Day. All of which translates into me preparing a turkey on Thanksgiving so we could have the smell in the house and have the full turkey dinner today and call it leftovers. It's a good thing he's such a sweetheart because sometimes he drives me nuts. A cuckoo and a nut. Now theres a couple for you.

Couldn't we just have saved the turkey and eaten it another time? Noooooo. Anyway, now we DO have leftovers and of course all the grunting, testosterone-laden types who live here are thrilled with turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans and stuffing being at their fingertips to microwave at a moments whim. Look away while I roll my eyes again. Hey, I like turkey as much as the next person, but I wouldn't have argued with anyone who wanted me to skip cooking one this year.

All joking aside, I'm glad I cooked the dinner for my guys. It's good to have traditions like having your own turkey dinner no matter what and it's a small price to pay for their happiness. So much joy over mashed potatoes and gravy. It's mind boggling really.

GG and I went for our swim this morning. I got stopped in the middle by my kids' pediatrician and we chatted a moment because his youngest is a senior this year and goes to school with Shmoo. Naturally GG kept swimming without me. He hit his 50 lengths today. I ended with 46. The weather this morning was just awesome, crystal clear blue skies, about 50 degrees and the water was about 80 degrees. Really it was just sublime.

Then we had a few errands to run and ended up in Target. The new Super Target. Which can I say I expected to be brimming with people. The only truly crazy place was electronics which is where we wanted to go of course.

Check this ad out. See the 19" flat screen TV with DVD player for $199?





Well we bought it. Our anniversary is next week, our birthday is
in 3 weeks on the same day, and Christmas is in 4 weeks. So we gave ourselves the TV for anniversary, birthday and Christmas and put it in our bedroom. GG is setting it up as I type this. We're going to watch NORTH AND SOUTH. Again. What can I say? I have a Richard Armitage crush. Of course, I'm not in Kristie's league, but nonetheless, I've gotta crush.

The other truly awesome thing I've discovered this holiday season? These babies.



As a person who is neither a white chocolate nor candy cane fan, I'm crazy for these chocolatey minty candies. So much so that I count out 5 to eat because if I have the bag I'm gonna eat til I'm sick and since these candies are sweeter than regular Hershey kisses I think I would get sick...eventually. But what a way to go!

Instead of candy I'm going to brew myself a nice cup of tea and go watch NORTH AND SOUTH with GG. See why made the man a turkey? He's going to watch NORTH AND SOUTH with me. Beanie is working, Shmoo is out with friends, Emily is warming my feet and GG is getting the TV fired up. The only downer is no reading again tonight. But life is full of compensations...Richard Armitage will be in HD. It's hard to argue with that.

Labels: , , , , ,

16 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

I'm the crazy turkey dinner person in this house. I even take containers to my family's homes when they cook one so I can cart home left overs. The first time I did that they laughed for hours. Laugh it up. I have turkey dinner for tomorrow ;)

Congrats on your new TV! It's all I can do to keep Bob from buying one before Christmas. Thing is I think I've held him off for as long as I can - he has said there will be a big screen in our home on Christmas.

And you are a lucky woman to have your hubby watch North and South with you. Bob would offer and promptly fall asleep on me causing my arm or leg to go to sleep.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

CindyS

12:43 AM PST  
Blogger Sam said...

I made a huge chicken and made stuffing and mashed potatoes to go with it, lol. It's true - guys go nuts for mashed potatoes and gravy - really strange.
I love leftovers, but the chicken didn't leave many.
I may have to cook a turkey for Christmas!
:-)

12:44 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, I'm lucky I got GG to agree to buy the TV for our bedroom. He was rhapsodizing over the 32" screens. But that much money I think we need to do a little investigating before we buy.

You and the turkey leftovers. You'd fit right in around here.

Sam, I still have a huge bowl of mashed potatoes left because I made extra. My two sons were "discussing" who was going to eat them and when. Yes, I'm rolling my eyes again. I've told them both how to make their own mashed potatoes but they'd rather beg me to make them.

8:06 AM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

HHHmmmmmmmm! You too will be involved with the Special Week we have planned starting Monday. My lips are sealed as to anything further!

8:07 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, pffffft!!! You can't say something like that and then disappear! Come back here...

8:09 AM PST  
Blogger Dev said...

Thanksgiving was at my sister's house so I have virtually no leftovers. I got enough four one meal and enough turkey for 2 sandwiches ~ oh and then the piece of cheesecake I ate for breakfast yesterday.

I requested North and South this morning from my library. I'll have it by 12/7!

8:19 AM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

ROTFL - I'm back. OK - 'nother hint. Pay attention when you and GG cuddle up and watch the telly.

8:27 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, can't wait to see what you think. That's just around the corner.

Kristie, we watched chapters 1, 2, and 3 last night before we went to bed. We will probably re-watch 3 and then 4 tonight after we do some Christmas decorating today.

I wonder if the BBC has noticed a spike in N&S sales since several people have picked it up thanks to you and your gang of the Armitage Army. :-)

8:38 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that TV looks GREAT! I love Target!! ANd I think the Elvis platter would look great with those Hershey's Kisses all over it :-)

9:37 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great day and the perfect ending to a great day. We totally skipped the turkey this year and did chicken breast. We have turkey all year, so as long as the girls get a huge meal they don't care.

I do miss the leftovers though. Can I come eat at your house? Oh wait that would mean a plane ticket and interacting with others. Never mind I'll just curl up with my book and read about turkey sandwiches and cold soda...

10:33 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, yeah, candy kisses for 'the King' and they match the platter too!

Scooper, I should be dusting and vacuuming while GG and Beanie are putting up our outside Christmas lights so we can start decorating inside. Instead I'm playing on the computer and reading. It's gonna catch up with me eventually, but right now I'm too mellow to care.

11:10 AM PST  
Blogger Travis Erwin said...

Nice snag on the TV. No way would I venture out on Black Friday.

2:43 PM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

Ya gotta have leftovers. Jericho informed me, "It's just wrong not to have leftovers, mom." That's the best part for me, though...they snack solidly for the next couple of days so I don't have to cook a 'real' meal for a couple of days.

I already know what I got for Christmas from Jeff...the long anticipated "A&E Romance Collection" with Pride & Prejudice, The Scarlet Pimpernel, and Jane Eyre to name a few...quite possibly the best boxed set of movies EVER.

I think Jeff is going to borrow North & South from his sister tonight. Because when I'm done decorating, sitting down to a good movie sounds great.

5:14 PM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

The Boyfriend's mother got roped into a Friday turkey as well. Actually she got roped into preparing food for another family get-together. Personally I think this is grounds for divorce - but I could be bitter because I was nice and helped wash dishes. A lot of dishes. More dishes than I've seen in recent memory. Can I just say I fell in love with my dishwasher all over again?

8:09 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Travis, hey dude thanks for stopping by. Yeah we are loving the new TV. It's a little thing, but I love being able to dust around it!

Becky, ate turkey again last night for dinner. I'm about turkey'd out now. GG is happy to have some great white meat left for sandwiches.

Did you get a chance to watch NORTH & SOUTH? Like I predicted we watched the whole second DVD last night AND the deleted scenes.

Wendy, the BF's Mom is waaaay nicer than me. Although I do have to say so are you because I'd rather cook all day long than do clean up. I come from a family where you do dishes as you go and still after a big Thanksgiving dinner there are so many dishes because there are so many side dishes. Glad you are back in SoCal even if you are living single for a bit and got greeted by fire and smoke. Did you see anything flying in?

9:31 AM PST  
Blogger Daphne said...

Man those hershey's kisses look so good. And congrats on the new TV! I didn't brave the crowds this year. About 3 years ago my cousins and I camped out in front of Best Buy the night before and come morning, we were so cranky it almost didn't seem worth it to save the money on those electronics.

But gosh, don't you just love Target? If I had known how cheap those TVs were, I would've risked the lines.

2:42 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home