A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

To Russia With Love...

I read this article on Sunday, November 25th. I don't know how many of you saw it or something similar. If you've ever read a historical accounting about the Russian Revolution then this might be of some interest to you. All the stories and claims from different women claiming to be Anastasia are over. Now we know. Now there is closure. Now the history books can finally put to rest the unhappy and tragic end to Czar Nicholas II's family.

Of course I knew they had been held prisoner. I also remembered from something I read that they were all shot. Now with the help of forensics we also know they were knifed repeatedly and then acid poured on them to obscure the identity of the bodies. Rather horrifying isn't it? It is uncertain how much of the horror the Romanovs experienced. Did the knifings take place first or the shooting for instance? They were killed along with the family physician and several servants.

The only good to come from this is that all the family members are accounted for and can be laid to rest. Finally.

We aren't the only country with 'ugly' in its history.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Dev said...

I've always been intrigued by the Romanov family. I do remember watching a news story of some sort awhile ago detailing how every member of the family was killed. It's sketchy at best, I only remember bits and pieces of it ~ but how horrible.

7:38 AM PST  
Blogger Wendy said...

Thanks for posting that link, because I hadn't seen the article yet! There was never any doubt in my mind that the entire family perished, but as the article states, disposal of the bodies certainly caused confusion and the remains were moved at least once.

There was a real fear that if the Romanovs were left alive that they would be a rallying force amongst the royalists. For that reason, I had a hard time believing any of the children made it out alive. But people love fairy tales, and one or more of the children surviving gave people something to believe in.....

8:21 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Dev, me too with the fascination with the Romanovs. I've read things comparing their spend thrift and idle ways to Louis and Marie Antoinette. Then I have vague memories of Alexandria and Rasputin? I don't know why Russians, Cossacks, and the like intrigue me, but they do. Maybe from reading Susan Johnson's Russian books. :-)

Wendy, I never really believed the real Anastasia or Therese survived either. Too big a secret to keep for one thing. Which the article also proves by the diaries and papers of the men who were sent to murder the family have written accounts of what they did.

8:33 PM PST  
Blogger dancechica said...

I had to watch a movie about this in American history last semester. We were learning about World War I, and the movie covered the different social upheavals that was going on at the time. It talked about the Romanovs and how they were killed. It was very chilling.

9:04 PM PST  
Blogger Stacy~ said...

I also have been interested in the family and what happened to them, partially because of my name. I never really thought there were survivors but it's good to know for sure. It's just so chilling to think of what was done to them, but I'm glad they can finally be put to rest.

8:18 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

I, too, am glad the family can be laid to rest now.

Have you read "The Kitchen Boy" by Robert Alexander? It's historical fiction, but it's fascinating. He did a lot of research on the Romanovs and in fact used a portion of Alexandra's diary to come up with the story. And it has an interesting twist at the end - which we now know can't be true.

5:55 PM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

Forgot to mention there's another good book by the same author - "Rasputin's Daughter". It was just as fascinating and very well researched. Though I'm still not so sure I liked the end. ????

5:56 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home