A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

You know life is good when...

You feel like you are living life at a pace that is busy but not crazy. Just since last Friday my life seems more normal again. I've cooked two meals in two days for crying out loud. Like from scratch...no heating up. Sadly, this is a major deal in my household. The men in my life can hardly remember the days when I cooked everyday.

While I like a clean house and a home cooked meal myself, I have my days when I think they are overrated. I've certainly learned not to beat myself up if we have pizza or frozen lasagna for dinner.


Another way I got to feel normal was by watching MANSFIELD PARK on Masterpiece Theater on Sunday night. Not the best Jane Austen has to offer but something I was glad I could sit down and enjoy uninterrupted.

Let's see, what else.
I made chocolate chip cookies yesterday. Not from scratch. I cheated with the Pillsbury refrigerated dough, but they tasted homemade and were yummy. They also made me feel back to normal. I usually try to bake cookies or brownies or something a couple of times a month, so my boys were feeling the love yesterday.

Most importantly I've been reading. I have to say I really feel NOT normal when I'm NOT reading. I feel like I haven't combed my hair, or like I have a hole in my socks. I'm just not comfortable when I'm not reading. As I mentioned earlier I've got a great stash of books to read right now. I loved MINE TO POSSESS by Nalini Singh and have started (devouring) DEMON NIGHT by Meljean Brook.

Reading in January has been very peculiar. I'm adjusting how I read and finding, I can hardly believe I'm saying this, that I've been buying fewer books. I'm trying to buy and read and slow down on the stock piling. I'm running out of room for one thing. For another, I don't have as much time to read as I have in years past.

When I was a SAHM I had a daily routine of sorts that allowed for large blocks of time to read. Reading was my main escape and hobby for many years. While I can't imagine a day without reading, I've filled my days with so many more things. I swim, I blog, I scrapbook, I research my family tree oh and that other pesky thing I do. Work for money to buy books.

Since I enjoy all these things and don't want to give anything up I find that I have to be realistic and compromise with my time. Can't do everything. So when and how I read has changed. It's good though. I find myself on the threshhold of a turning point in my life. With my sons about grown, working, going to school and making plans for the rest of their lives, GG and I have more time together than we have had in years. It's a process to prepare us for when they leave the nest. It's all good. It's normal.

I like normal.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Yay for normal!

I'm looking forward to things slowing down and getting back to normal in February.

I don't bake but about once a month, but I made up a new recipe yesterday. Almond Joy Brownies. Ahh, the joy...the rapture. Especially when made with Ghiradelli Brownie mix. Mmmm. My boys were feelin' the love, too. In fact, they're already gone. I think that recipe is a keeper, but I'll just have to hide a couple for myself next time.

Not much better in life that reading a good book and eating oven baked treats!

10:38 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky most of my baking is with shortcuts. I make Sweetie Pies with devil's food cake mix. I use stuff that give me a bump or step up from scratch. The Ghiradelli brownies are a case in point. It doesn't seem to matter to the guys around here though. They devour it all. Those Almond Joy Brownies sound good. Yum!

11:26 PM PST  
Blogger nath said...

I'm just jealous that you got to read Mine to Possess and Demon Night already :(

Otherwise, i'm glad for you. For me, it's either I'm way tooo busy or not at all. there's never in-btw for me :( Must have to do with my rate of work.

and miam, I've been craving for something sweet. My mom made a carrot cake... but I'm still waiting for the cheese cream to go on top! LOL (but I think she forgot all about it ^_^;)

5:31 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, if a restaurant I go to has carrot cake it is pretty much a done deal that I'll be ordering it. Usually to take home and eat, but I'll order carrot cake. I've had all sorts of carrot cake. Last week it was carrot and zucchini cake. It was delicious. Ironically, as much as I like it I've never made one. It's probably a good thing since I like it so much I'd probably eat it all by myself.

6:54 AM PST  
Blogger  said...

"I really feel NOT normal when I'm NOT reading," well.....you ain't read moi's blog or that would change.

Stay on groovin' safari,
Tor

10:31 AM PST  
Blogger Jenster said...

I used to bake so my kids would feel the love. Now I make a trip to Wawa (a gas station with a great convenience store)! LOL

11:07 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Hey Tor, thanks for stopping by. Veddy veddy interesting blog.

Jen, hey dudette...whatever works. I'm not beyond the corner store bribe. The cookie dough was in the fridge so, how could I not bake them?

9:04 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home