A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, April 04, 2008

This...That and the Three Day Weekend.

Yes, I have a three-day weekend. Which when I think about it is sort of crazy since I had to work until almost 7 p.m. last night so I could be off today. It's Shmoo's last day of Spring Break and even GG took a day off. The original plan was for a trip to the Magic Kingdom. You many have noticed we like hanging out there. However we decided to do some shopping and have a lazy day instead. I'm all over that one. It's nice to slow things down a bit.

Shmoo turns 18 in a couple of weeks. Once again he can't make up his mind what he wants to do for his birthday. He suckered me in once before like this, but I'm not falling for it this time. To this day he tries to lay on a guilt trip about his 16th birthday which fell on Easter. We invited some extended family (that could make it) and went to brunch at a nice restaurant. It was sort of anti-climatic and dull, but that's what the kid wanted. He denies it now of course. He laments and wails about how much his 16th birthday sucked. Oy!

Now he's starting to vacillate about his 18th birthday, but I'm having none of it. We're going to have a big BBQ here with family and a bunch of his friends. The boy is going to celebrate his birthday come hell or high water. It's become a game we play each week when he comes up with a different idea on how to spend his birthday and I tell him we are having a family birthday and BBQ each time. God forbid the kid ever let my life get dull. My only real dilemma is what to buy him. He has everything. Cell phone, iPod, TV, portable DVD player. What else is there? I refuse to buy him a video game system. He says he doesn't want clothes this time and wants to be surprised. *head desk* No pressure there.

I finished OUTLAW'S BRIDE by Maureen McKade for the TBR Day read. It was a very competent book, but didn't pack any of the emotional punch I'm used to seeing in a McKade book. So, maybe I'll pick something else. I think it's a hoot that in the space of one month I've read OUTLAW'S BRIDE by McKade and OUTLAW BRIDE by Jenna Kernan. No wonder I get authors, plots and characters confused. Sheesh!

I'm beginning to panic because I haven't started Shmoo's scrapbook. This is the sort of insanity I persisted in when Beanie graduated and ended up doing the whole darn thing in 72 hours. Ack! I'm also doing another special project for Shmoo which I have started, thank goodness. I'm thinking for college graduations I'm going to do something boring like take them out to eat somewhere. Does anyone else get caught up in trying to make sure you do the same things and make special events in your kids lives memorable? I did actually ask Shmoo if he cared about having a scrapbook and was sort of surprised when he looked startled, and said, "Well, yeah. Don't you want to do one for me?" Which if you are well versed in Mom guilt pretty much sealed the deal on the scrapbook.

Well this was a big yawner, wasn't it? These are the days of my life folks. It can't all be scintillating books and trips to RWA. *eye roll* Now you know why my grandfather called me Sarah Bernhardt.

I'm off to convince GG he wants to take me to breakfast. Now I just have to figure out how to make him believe it was his idea in the first place.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

Oy, the mom guilt...I am familiar with this. And with the scrapbooking benders.

Have a fun 3 day weekend!

9:13 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Becky, I'm Italian and Catholic I was breast fed guilt. I'm getting ready to head out for the day as I type this.

10:28 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Yeah, Outlaw Bride was just meh for me too. I liked it. I found it pleasant. It was easily digestible. But I forgot everything about it about an hour after I finished it.....

7:58 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wendy, your comments are sadly true. I picked up Emma Holly's new book DEMON FIRE and fully intended to start it, but the American frontier (1763) saga RIDE THE FIRE by Pamela Clare was calling my name.

7:44 AM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

Okay, I must be the only one who thinks it's cute that Shmoo wants a scrapbook ;) I'm horrible with picking out gifts for people - even Bob! So I can't help on what to get an 18 year old.

CindyS

10:46 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Cindy, you think it's cute and I'm still in shock, but in a good way. I'm glad he cares after all.

We got the spoiled little brat a new iPod for his birthday. His is 2 1/2 years old and he really wanted a new one. So that's what we did.

9:15 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home