A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

The TBB List


Acrylics on Canvas 16x20, 2007 Private Collection

Just about every reader I know has some version of a list for books they'd like to have. This list can be books they are searching for or books they want to buy as soon as it is released. Or, if the reader is like me, both.

I used to be a subscriber of ROMANTIC TIMES magazine. Each month I would read the synopsis and reviews of books and make my list. You can still sort of do this from their web site, however as much as I love the e-world, it's just not the same. I loved flipping back and forth through the pages in RT and looking at those reviews and ratings.

RT also had a great feature in the back of the magazine. There was a future releases section that listed books by publisher and then by author. The feature usually listed books for the future release two months ahead of the magazine date. Very nifty for the obsessive list maker.

When I quit RT (Lady Barrow got on my nerves) I didn't realize what a vacuum it would leave in my book buying and list making. The past year or so I've been dissatisfied with my by hook or crook method of blog news or browsing sites trying to keep some sort of list.

All you non-list makers can go ahead and mock now. But I can think of nothing worse than missing a book in a series or a favorite author's release...and it's happened. There was the time I completely missed Linda Howard's DROP DEAD GORGEOUS. ::GASP!:: I know. Tragedy in the making. I can barely bring myself to talk about it even now. (You know I'm kidding...right? Although it WAS tragic, I did eventually get the book. Eventually being the key word there.)

Anyway, I was lamenting about having no good place to look for upcoming books in a convo with the roomies in SF. Kristie mentioned a site on-line that was supposed to be fabulous for finding future releases. Of course I got home and couldn't remember it and had to email her. Yay for Kristie because sent me the info right away.

So I told you all of THAT just so I could share this awesome link to FictionDB with you. There are so many ways to look up books. You can look up releases by author, genre or month. This, my friends is why EVERYBODY loves Kristie. She knows the coolest stuff.

Thanks KJ! You've made me very happy. Now I gotta go and beef up the TBB list.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

LOL, I usually check for the authors websites 2-3 times a year to see what are the new releases... and once a month, i go to my bookstore's website and see the Upcoming releases or the New releases this month. That's how I keep it up for my TBB list :)

and yes, we love Kristie, because she really knows a lot of cool stuff!

6:21 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

I'm definitely going to have to check this link out. Thanks Rosie!

10:30 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, I'm telling you the FictionDB site is awesome. Saves time too.

Tracy, I don't know if this site will be the end all to my list making, but it's sure gonna help.

8:05 PM PDT  
Blogger little alys said...

Woo, new site I must travel to and gleem knowledge about books! Thanks! And yes, I hate it when a book I would love comes out and I don't even know about it.

9:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

You are most welcome. Anything to help in the list making. I notice the link takes you to the general site. I don't know why that is - mine used to take me right to the upcoming romance section but if you click on the pink Romance tab along the top and then click the future releases, that's how you narrow it down to.......ROMANCE.

11:58 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Alys, go get 'em tiger! It's a great site. Have fun.

Kristie, the link you gave me did go directly to the new romance release page. I just gave the home page link because there's so much available on the site and I wanted lookie louisas to see it.

1:03 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Cool! I usually do an advanced search on amazon.com because that goes a year ahead. But it's hard slogging through everything.

Kristie is the awesomest!

11:56 AM PDT  
Blogger Dev said...

Oh no! Trust me, I did not need this. I make my lists from fellow bloggers, friends, etc., etc. Trust me, this is not a good thing for me. Have you seen my TBR pile???

9:41 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home