A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, August 15, 2008

What am I doing awake?

I'm crazy that's what. I have to be up in 5 hours for work and stayed up to watch the women's all around competition in gymnastics at the Olympics. Tears were involved. I'm such a sap! But her Dad was a gold medalist 20 years ago and he's her coach. Her Mom can't stand to watch (that would be me!)... Yeah I'm sentimental...so what?!



Watching the balance beam and realizing that they are tumbling on a 4-inch wide beam reminded me that they tumble down a piece of wood roughly the same width as my blog post column. Ho-lee!

That's a bit surreal.

Congratulations to Nastia Liukin on her gold medal and to Shawn Johnson for winning the silver. Way to go. I'm in awe of your discipline, skill, grace and aplomb in an intense international arena. Bravo!

P.S. GG the heretofore Olympics watching addict/machine was asleep. How wrong was that?????

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger nath said...

LOL :) I didn't watch the finale either... and for GG, it's probably because it was women gymnastics. Seriously, I hate the different time zone :(

6:37 AM PDT  
Blogger lisabea said...

The only part of the olympics I've seen thus far are these amazing and scrawny girls. And I was up too. Cool beans. My BG said: Suck it China.

I'm so proud.

7:22 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Heeee, like GG I was asleep. But we've been TiVo-ing, so I'll probably be watching this tonight.

7:54 AM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

I get weepy when they show the day in review and all the winners crying.
*Sniff*
Trampoline jumping tomorrow!! WOOT :D

9:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Tracy said...

These Olympics are killing me and sleep schedule...but they're so good I can't miss them! :)

10:10 AM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

I'm having fun watching the Olympics. And I so love hearing about the stories behind the athletes.

11:53 AM PDT  
Blogger Becky said...

I was so proud of those girls! And I love that her dad is her coach. Way cool.

LOL that GG was asleep.

Hey, we saw him the other day on the main drag through town... Jeff was like, "Hey, there's GG!" but we couldn't get his attention before he turned.

11:26 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, I love watching live. It's so anti-climatic after you know who won. GG's clock just can't take those late hours.

Lb, how pc 'suck it China'. Love that.

SL, really gotta do the Tivo thing. However, we are such intermittent TV watchers I always talk myself out of it.

Katie, yeah, me too with the weepy.

Ames, I love the stories behind the atheletes too. I actually think they do a better job of this during the winter Olympics. Those stories usually better demonstrate the grueling discipline and focus it takes to succeed on a world level.

Becky, you know I think Shawn Johnson is cute as a button, but I think it's great that her Dad coaches her, that they appear to be close, and now a daughter shares this awesome achievement with her father, an Olympic gold medal. Wow! Now that's a story.

3:04 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Tracy, the saying goes 'misery loves company'. I have to say I was glad to see when I was blog hopping this morning that I'm not the only crazy person who stays up to watch the Olympics. Apparently lots of Americans have this time around.

3:06 PM PDT  
Blogger sula said...

The olympics have played havoc with my sleep schedule all week. The cumulative effect was enough to keep me from finishing this event. *sniff* but I did see about half of it and I was totally rooting for Luikin. Great stuff. And such a sweet story about her and her dad. awww.

t-minus half an hour or so till michael phelps and co. go for the last one. *crossing fingers*

6:43 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home