A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, September 11, 2008

Where were you when you got the news...




I remember. I mourn. I hope.

This day is more poignant than ever now that I work for a fire department. "We'll Never Forget" is on every one of our engines. I remember.

I remember being awakened by my sister with the news the WTC had been hit by airplanes. We were on the phone together as the first tower fell. I mourn.

As I mourn the terrible loss of that horrible day seven years ago I have hope. I have hope that things might change for the better in Washington. That hope will be my prayer as GG puts the flag up to honor those who serve our country whether it is in the military or law enforcement or the fire service. I'm grateful to them and for them. I hope.

I remember. I mourn. I hope.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger KT Grant said...

I had just started a new job a month before and I was working 3-11pm. For some reason, I woke up out of the blue at 8:45am. As I sat down to watch tv, I couldn't understand why none of my channels were on. And then I changed to CNN and my heart stopped as I saw one of the Twin Towers on fire with smoke coming out and saw part of the plane sticking out of the building.
From that moment on, for the next two days, I couldn't move from my tv. I think I stopped shaking after a week.

5:26 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kate, we were all shaking in disbelief, fear, despair and grief. For the first time I began to understand why people always talked about and remembered Pearl Harbor Day.

7:03 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in Queensland staying with my mum and she woke me up at 6 on the 12th (about 16 hours ahead of the US) and said "Four planes have crashed in America and the World Trade Centre has collapsed" and first I thought "What the ****, why di I care?" then a second later it hit home what she'd said and I fell out of bed and ran to the TV.

7:38 AM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

And my sister had just flown out the day before to British Columbia for a semester of study abroad.
Can you imagine if she had flown out on 9/11?

8:37 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Gabrielle, did your news cover it ad nauseum until you couldn't stand it any more? I got so I couldn't bear to turn on the radio or TV.

Kate, it has made us all re-think how we feel about flying hasn't it? We'll never be that innocent again.

10:49 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, Rosie, for several days, our networks streamed YOURS directly. Then there was CNN, Fox, BBC and Sky... But I'll tell you, I was one of those who didn't stop watching. I'd just left a job then and was enjoying a furlough, so I tapped in and didn't stop for several weeks. I was just trying to make sense of it all.

3:09 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home