A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A rose by any other name...

I just have to say it one more time. Sha-zaaaam but I'm feeling so much better. It's touching every part of my life too, because I'm quite perky and happy. GG is getting a kick out of it because he hasn't seen me like this for a while and he likes it when I'm "feisty".

Now I don't particularly like being referred to as "feisty". It reminds me of a poorly written book blurb telling me a heroine is kick-ass or a fire brand or a wildcat, or any of those other things word that are supposed to be telling us that this is a woman to be reckoned with. The words I've used here make me think of a heedless selfish bitch-y sort of person. Not a strong one.

My favorite heroine of late is Sirantha Jax. She's strong, tough, self-contained and hell on wheels when she's ticked off. Feisty? Wildcat? Not so much. At least not in my opinion.

So what's a word or words that is used to describe a character that you just can't stand? Is there something in a book blurb that will send you running in another direction? Tell me. Tell me.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Holly said...

Anything that has to do with a cat, really. Wildcat, hellcat - I've always wondered if that's the author's clever way of calling the heroine a pussy..

Really I'm not much for pet names at all. Especially ones that just seem condescending when said by our overtly male hero.

12:25 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy you're happy!

yeah, I'm not a fan of feisty, either, it feels condescending. Except when it's appropriated by the wickedly wonderful Lillian Feisty.

I hate "Hunk." What...does that mean, exactly? Lazy, beige writing, IMO.

Ta-da!

12:43 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yeah, I forgot: perky. I HATE PERKY! It reminds me of people I call Princess Perkynose. You know the type. Kinda like Palin. All perky on the outside, vicious once you smear away their lipstick. Yuk.

12:45 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Holly, Heh, heh, heh... veddy, veddy, interestin' theory you have there. Oh and I completely agree about the cat thing. Ditto the pet names especially when that seems to be ALL the dude ever calls her. *eye roll*

Gabrielle, I'm telling you I'm still basking in the wonder in the difference of how much better I feel. It's such a difference.

Yeah, I use perky (like in my post) when I'm being sarcastic. Perky people really annoy me too because I always feel like it's forced or fake. That is completely cynical, isn't it.

6:40 AM PDT  
Blogger Lori said...

I'm glad you're feeling so much better, Rosie! It's always so nice to feel good, isn't it?

I hate anything that sounds too sappy on the OBC. Blech. But I agree with Holly - the nicknames just don't do it for me either.

7:33 AM PDT  
Blogger Holly said...

Also - "Little" something. Little one, little girl, little icky. :(

7:33 AM PDT  
Blogger Christine said...

Hi Rosie! I'm glad you're feeling better these days. Seems like everyone's been sick lately. :(

Just had to add my two cents about Sirantha Jax. I love her, too. There's just something about the survivor-type heroine who in her own head is often her own worst enemy, but she's never self pitying. Does that make sense?

7:47 AM PDT  
Blogger Ann Aguirre said...

Wow, thank you, Rosie. What a lovely surprise!

I'm inclined to send you an arc of Doubleblind when the time comes, if you promise to taunt people shamelessly about knowing what happened between March and Jax before they do. *g*

The thing that irks me is when the hero is practically a giant and the heroine is dainty, delicate, doll-like, fragile, ethereal and any number of things. I'm like, ok, she's 4'11 then and 80 pounds. He's 6'6 and nearly 300, if he can tuck her under his arm like a doll. Isn't that kinda... NOT RIGHT?

3:09 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Lori, I've read books on someone's recommendation and then when I'm done read the blurb and realize that had I been browsing based on the blurb I would NOT have purchased the book.

Hols, I have to say I loathe 'little one'. Loathe it. It can take me right out of the story.

Christine, First thanks for the good wishes. As for SJ, yes!! Never self pitying. In fact she's a pretty tough grader particularly on herself. None of the characters in that world are wimpy... I love Sirantha Jax.

Ann, truly I'm not on any sort of crusade to manipulate you to send me an ARC. Although my girl-crush on Jax might lead one to believe that. *vbg* I'd be thrilled to have an ARC. I'd be thrilled to lord over all and sundry.

Oh and the disporportionate thing is way weird. It's so impractical. I'm 5'4" and I had a boyfriend who was 6'4". It was a pain having 12 inch height difference.

10:10 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home