A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Waving the White Flag




Today is my 28th wedding anniversary. Twenty-eight years with the fabulous GG. Seriously. I know I gush about him from time to time (and whine too) but he's a great guy and I feel incredibly happy and blessed to have him in my life. Mostly.

We had pretty much decided not to buy anything for each other for our anniversary. Not out of any particular desire to tighten our belts or anything, but because there isn't anything we need or really want... *dun dun dun* Or so I thought.

I may have mentioned in the past that we got married on Thanksgiving weekend. It was a Saturday just like this year. We figured that with 4 days of the week being Thanksgiving and our anniversary so late in the month we have a 50-50 chance every single year that our anniversary is going to fall on the holiday weekend. So far, that's worked out pretty well for us.

The downside, if you can call it that, is the holiday. No, I'm not anti-Thanksgiving or anything, but it does have a tendency to put a crimp in travel plans, and forget about the shopping. We don't shop Thanksgiving weekend as a rule. Even with the great sales. We stay away because it cuts down on impulse buying and eliminates fighting the crowds for parking and sanity. So one might wonder how in the name of all that's holy did I end up out there with the throngs of shoppers yesterday? I can tell you this. Yesterday morning I didn't know what the day would bring when I innocently followed GG out the door to go swimming.

Can you guess what happened? If I told you they can now see the glow of my house from Mars would that help?

So, yesterday...we swam. We ate breakfast. We did some food shopping for Beanie. GG put up our outside Christmas lights. We waved Beanie and his GF off to go home. This is where the story takes a turn because the next thing I know we are standing in BEST BUY and signing for a big-ass TV to be delivered to our house. Huh? What? It was so faaaaast! How'd that happen?

Note to all of you newly wedded chickadees: You have to be vigilant! Those mans of ours conspire to catch us in a weak moment and the next thing you know your house resembles the electronics section of a major store chain. Oh, and they never own the, "I want it." Nope. The mans say "We need this.' They're tricky like that.

Anyway, back to my pathetic surrender. It's hazy, but I remember saying something to GG along the lines of, 'I don't know why we are getting such a big-ass TV when we hardly watch TV during the week'. As I said, it's all a blur when one is standing in the middle of BEST BUY with TVs, stereos, and Guitar Hero blaring all around you as a genial and fast talking sales person tells you why you can't live without a big-ass flat screen TV.

Knowing his wife well, GG reminded me that the TV purchase is all part of our plan to bribe the boys to come visit us in our dotage. *eye roll* As if a TV would make that much difference. Although... When we called to tell Beanie about the new TV he almost got in his car to come back home. WTF? He's already said he'll be home for the Super Bowl. Really? For a TV? What am I missing here?

Fortunately, GG had done his research about what TV to buy preparing for catching me in weak moment. The major stumbling block for me is that I think our living room is too small for the big-ass thing. Unfortunately we don't have a family room. *sigh* OTOH, the men in my life are over the moon. While I don't quite get it, it makes me happy to see them happy. So I've surrendered. Given in. It's done. We have a new family member.

Welcome big-ass Samsung LN52A650! Don't be a problem. Don't use too much electricity, and you better hope I don't regret having you around.

Oh, and babe? Happy Anniversary, birthday, Christmas, Valentines Day, Easter, 4th of July for the next 2 years...at least.

P.S. I'm supposed to let SL's Man know we got the bigger TV (thanks so much, dude!) because of your recommend to get the 120 hz thing-y. GG said you'd know what that means. Whatever! We have a big-ass TV in our LR!

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Wendy said...

OK, in My Man's defense, he told GG he should wait until next year when the 240 hz-thingies are supposedly coming out. But he said GG had "that look in his eye" - so he wasn't exactly shocked when I delivered the news just now.

BTW, should I be scared that My Man is now getting shout-outs in the blogosphere?

My question is where you've put this TV - because it sure as heck isn't fitting in your entertainment center.

You'll warm up to it. Trust me. Especially when you pop in a movie and if you upgrade to a cable HD package. It's like falling in love with TV all over again.

(My Man says: "Wow, 52 inches? GG wasn't foolin' around." LOLOLOL)

1:05 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Wen, Two words. For-get it! 240 hz thingies. How much sharper do we really need the images? Huh? For cripes sakes already. Anyway, we ended up with a 52" because he sold it to us for the 46" sales price. Yeah, GG is crowing over that because he's been watching and pricing.

Yeah, ye old entertainment center which is perfectly good and whole and all that and solid oak may I add... Well, it's going to be retired. I'm searching as we speak for some sort of TV console to go under the new family member, BATV.

1:12 PM PST  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Happy Anniversary!! So *g* was this GG's gift to you - or yours to him.
And while I'm tempted at times to get one of those, then I realize I'd have to figure out how it works - and that takes care of that.

3:45 AM PST  
Blogger lisabea said...

Heh heh heh.

Happy Anniversary you two crazy kids. G and I will be by to watch some tv....

7:28 AM PST  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Really, what is it with the dudes and the big Tv's? Craig wanted to get one this year too and I said, hey man we'll be moving out of this house in a few months and then out of the state a year after that...wait until we have moving money and we are at our next location. The logic worked this time, but man does he have TV envy! Now that GG got his what am I going to do with him?

BTW, Happy Anniversary, Sis! I still have happy memories about your wedding day and love knowing that you two have it going on after ALL this time! :-)

3:59 PM PST  
Blogger little alys said...

A day late, but Happy Anniversary!!!
I remember distinct discussions between Wendy's Man and GG about the TV. *g* Maybe we all need to drop by and visit again soon. ^_~
I am single for good reason. Teehee. TV weak moments. Hehehe.

8:48 PM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Kristie, are you trying to tell me that working one of these bad boys is complicated?

LB, c'mon down! Of course this is assuming I find the right piece of furniture to put under it and can figure out a way to arrange the LR that doesn't make the TV the centerpiece. What was I thinking?

Mary, you told him?? I'm so sorry. I've been holding GG off for about a year and a half. When he saw Kenny's last year that was all she wrote. I knew my days were numbered.

Alys, yeah, they talked about TVs and then there were all those Thanksgiving weekend sales. I was doomed... As for stopping by, you know the way. Come over any time.

6:13 AM PST  
Blogger nath said...

Happy belated anniversary Rosie and GG!!!

I don't know what it is with men and their TVs. My dad keeps urging me to buy a flat screen. Ugh. and yeah, you definitively don't need the 240 hz-thingies... You know, when the image is too clear when you can see the actors/actresses flaws despite their make-up.

and LOL, isn't it fun that GG and SL's Man have become friends?

7:23 AM PST  
Blogger Becky said...

Jeff kept hinting broadly about getting a new car...because "they are clearing out the lots for the new models" and "They're practically GIVING them away...fully loaded!"...but we held firm. I talked him down from the ledge.

However, then Jeff and I found ourselves in Sears, and we walked out with my Christmas/Valentines/Mother's Day and Birthday gift...a serger sewing machine. But that I got it early and can use it to make Christmas gifts and finish decor projects was a huge plus.

Ahem. I can't quite remember how it all happened, either.

7:46 AM PST  
Blogger Rosie said...

Nath, GG and Wendy's Man have only met once, but they certainly seemed to have bonded over the whole batv thing. Amazing isn't it?

Becky, A new sewing machine? Pretty cool! I've had my Singer forever. In fact I'm the only one in my family who owns one and my sister borrows mine when she needs one. Sewing's becoming a lost art I think.

We've thought about a car purchase too, but we agreed that just because prices were low and dealers dangling offers we shouldn't buy a car before we were planning to. I was just hoping to hold off the TV for another year. I would have rather remodeled the bathrooms. *sigh*

6:47 AM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home