A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

When your care to send the very best...

***Dear Kelley, On behalf of the wounded soldiers here at Walter Reed and Abrams Hall. Thank you. We received the packages and most of the stuff was immediately passed out to as many soldiers as possible. Generally we open them and set them in a common area for all the wounded soldiers to take what they need. The stuffed animals were a huge hit. They went the fastest, and the candy and slinky's were also. The toothbrushes and personal items are always needed. I would like to describe the process from Battlefield to Walter Reed. In my case I was medivac'd to Balad, Iraq. I was there for 2 days, and then to Landstuhl, Germany for a more in depth evaluation which took about a week. Finally I was flown to Walter Reed. Usually, all your belongings remain behind in Iraq or Afghanistan. That is why these care packages are very welcome. I came here with the set of clothes I was injured in and no personal items. The Red cross issues some personal items, but they don't last. The whole ordeal is very depressing because you are bounced around amongst strangers and the whole time you are thinking ( I hope my friends in Iraq are safe. ) It is very difficult to be here and your friends still there. It is very lonely here and these care packages are lifesavers. It at least makes us feel that someone, somewhere cares about us. So, from the bottom of my heart and the hearts of those around me Thank you. ***


This is a letter I stole from the ROAD WARRIORS blog that was found on Face Book. The soldiers very much appreciate our help. You can donate directly to WWP by going here. Or, on that same page donate for a back pack filled with essentials which costs $99. Or, you can go to the ROAD WARRIORS donation page for WWP and support them in their run to raise awareness and money for WWP on May 9th.

Another cause near and dear to my heart, EQUALITY NOW has a Mother's Day fund raiser. What could be better than helping world-wide womens' rights AND eating chocolate? It's an easy way to help.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

What a neat letter (the entire WWP project that sends this stuff to them), and one near and dear to my heart with my sister being deployed in June.

10:47 AM PDT  
Blogger Gigi said...

That's great. Hubby still remembers all the packages he got when he was overseas. His favorite was from a pre-k class. They sent adorable drawings along with stuff they collected.

8:39 PM PDT  
Blogger WarriorM said...

Our donation site is up and running again and the blog is updated, if you're interested. Thanks for your support, Ro!

7:56 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home