A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Friday, June 12, 2009

The Spare by Carolyn Jewel



THE SPARE by Carolyn Jewel

I just finished reading this gem. This makes my fourth Carolyn Jewel book and I've enjoyed them all immensely. I was giddy when I found this at my local UBS.

THE SPARE, in this case refers to both Captain Sebastian Alexander and our heroine Olivia Willow. Sebastian, the youngest of three sons who has enjoyed a very illustrious and heroic career in the Royal Navy, has just inherited the family title after his brother and his wife were brutally murdered in their own home.

Olivia is the 'spare' guest at a house party the new Earl of Pennhyll, Sebastian, is giving. It's Sebastian's intention to try to kill two birds with one stone. He intends to use this house party to do his duty and choose a bride from among his guests. However, his real focus is to, by any means possible, pry the information out of Olivia's head from the day his brother was murdered.

Olivia was severely injured and wounded at the same time Sebastian's brother and wife were murdered. Unfortunately she has been unable to remember what happened because one of her injuries was to her head.

In the wrong hands the missing memory, the old maid village school teacher, and wounded war hero could have been burdened by heavy cliche. That's not the case here. Ms. Jewel has a light hand and presents this story in a very forthright and honest way.

I zoomed through this book devouring it with glee. While I can't say the resolution to all of these questions was a startling revelation, I can say that Ms. Jewel made the most out of small story with familiar plot devices.

I enjoyed this one and will continue the hunt for her backlist.

My Grade = B+

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Oh, that's so wonderful that her backlist is living up to Scandal! I have her new paranormal My series in my tbr right now, but I'd love to read more of her historicals, since Scandal is my favorite historical read this year!

2:00 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Wow! Now I'm going to be on the look-out for this one!

I read My Wicked Enemy the other day because of your May reading list and really enjoyed it. Got the sequel, but haven't had time to read it yet, just skim through it.

7:07 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Renee, I'm so xcited because in the last year I've discovered Ann Aguirre, Patricia Briggs and Carolyn Jewel and been so happy with their books. I had MY WICKED ENEMY in my tbr for quite a while, since before SCANDAL came out I think. She's a good writer and I think you'll enjoy the paranormals too. I know I did.

Nath, if you liked MY WICKED ENEMY wait until you read MY FORBIDDEN DESIRE. Xia (hero) is something else. I haven't been able to find LORD RUIN in a UBS so I think I'll order it online. She hasn't disappointed yet.

10:24 AM PDT  
Blogger sybil said...

Have you found Lord Ruin yet? I can't remember if I still have two copies of it or not but I can look.

12:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Hi Sybil, I DID find LORD RUIN at an Orange County UBS. Already read it and loved it. She's so good.

9:07 AM PDT  
Blogger sybil said...

yay! So do you think he screwed the mistress in the library? I could never figure that out. *I* think he didn't but it reads like in a draft he did and than later it was changed and badly edited.

I asked her once and I think she said she meant to leave it 'open to the reader'

1:41 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sybil, you know I read that as coitus interruptus. It might have happened but it didn't. If intentions count then Ruan is guilty. Clever too that the reader doesn't know whether the mistress, Mrs. Forrest, is a "good" guy or a "bad" guy even at the end.

1:49 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home