A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Be it ever so humble...

Home at last. Exhausted doesn't begin to cover it. I sum it up by saying SL and I talked most of the 6 hour trip to DC. We slept or read most of the trip home.

BTW, will somebody please tell me who turned up the heat while I was gone? Sure DC had some humidity, but it also had breeze, blue skies, trees and lots and lots of lovely grass. We got off the plane to 107 degree heat and wind. Blech.

Some good stuff? GG and Shmoo met our plan in Dallas and were on the same plane the last leg of the trip. I was very happy to see them both. Shmoo has left the house already to go pick up Emily who apparently didn't miss us much because she's been shamelessly spoiled all week by Shmoo's girlfriend.

Warning! What follows are random sleep deprived ramblings.

Anne Stuart was a hoot in her many guises as mistress of ceremonies for the RITAs. My personal observations about the ceremony are that RWA has a decent production value for the ceremony, and keeps it moving along. However, reading off a list of names and then announcing a winner is just boring. I have no suggestions or thoughts on how this can be improved because I don't think you can without being absurd. It's an awards ceremony. The only thing making it slightly more interesting was if you could pull for a particular author in a category. Which was one good moment for SL and I when Karen Templeton won for her SSE category A MOTHER'S WISH.

I've pretty much decided the RITAs event is filled on my dance card. Until or unless an author I know personally is nominated, I won't be attending the ceremony again. I don't think it's likely they will have a category for best M/M novel in the near future, do you?

Although if Carolyn Jewel or Ann Aguirre were nominated I'd be inclined to attend to root for them. Yes, that is obvious fan love and shmoozing, but also true.

Praise be I'm off tomorrow and except for a mammogram tomorrow afternoon will be able to catch up on some much needed sleep and other real life stuff.

Has anyone posted about the building evacuation for a fire in the middle of the day Saturday? I was in a workshop with LB and she received texts accusing her of pulling a prank. She's innocent I tell ya! Which to be truthful I can only claim because I was with her. I, of course, like the obedient robo-tron I am got up and walked out of the room we were in not noticing (d'oh!) that I dropped my cell phone on the floor.

Who does that? Really,who? I'm an idiot. (That was just for you Kati)

Fortunately the phone was under a chair in the room when we went back in. Good thing too because my phone has been giving me major problems lately and has gone from much loved to much reviled. GG would me mightily suspicious if I said I "lost" it at RWA and needed a new one.

Still no links. Too tired. SL has some great photos. I'll make an effort tomorrow to see what I managed to take with my phone.

Labels: ,

19 Comments:

Blogger CindyS said...

Glad you made it home safe and sound - I would so love to go to a dinner with a bunch of bloggers and authors - that would be a ball!!

And AS hosted Ritas!? I would have been there for the opening bit and then crawled out ;)

And if you are over the heat, please send my way - kthx

CindyS

7:16 PM PDT  
Blogger Kristie (J) said...

Rosie - I'm glad you and Wendy made it home safe and sound. I miss you already though :-(

7:28 PM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

I wish I could have said bye. Glad you arrived safe and sound :D

8:15 PM PDT  
Blogger Kati said...

Welcome home, Rosie! I'm with Kristie, I miss you already!!

Take it easy today, and enjoy being home.

5:29 AM PDT  
Blogger Lusty Reader said...

haha, too funny about your phone. i could see "losing it" being suspicious if you were hankering for a new one!

its so great to read about your experiences for those events the rest of us couldn't make it to, so thanks for sharing even though you're exhausted! and definitely helpful to note which events may not be as interesting to readers.

i just had a BLAST and a half chattering away on Friday night with you, I hope you had a great trip back out West!

6:02 AM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

Really glad to hear that you made it home safely :D and that's great GG and Shmoo could join you on the last leg of the trip :)

Traveling is so much fun, but sooo tiring :) Lucky you have today off as well :) Rest!

6:31 AM PDT  
Blogger Wendy said...

Inquiring minds want to know: have you finished the Carolyn Jewel book yet?

Gah! And it is HOT! I'm not looking forward to another 3 months of this.....

10:07 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anthea Lawson said...

It was great to meet you and Lisa at conference this year(and Wendy in person, too!) Though next time there will be NO excuses about not wearing your PJs to the PJ party! Hey, I went back outside and across the street to the Omni Shoreham after midnight in my PJs, thank you very much! Lol, ok, I did get some funny looks from the bellhops.
Hope you're recovering well from conference. Us poor west coasters have it rough~

2:12 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

CindyS, it was a wonderful time. We got to see AS in her infamous nun's habit. She's a hoot.

Kristie, real life is so anti-climatic. I had to exchange some stuff at the mall today. I only walked through the bookstore to get to my care. It was so weird to see Meredith Duran's book and know I had dinner with her.

KB, hey little missy I heard things about you and a certain charming marine. Can't wait to find out about that.

Kati, chores, chores, and more chores. The price one pays for vacation. Tomorrow back to work we go. Keep us posted on you know what. I'm thinking about you.

Lusty Reader, stopped by your blog today. You are officially added to my Reader. Which actually doesn't mean much here lately because I've been so sporadic.

Nathie, speaking of traveling... Email me your dates in October. I'm nervous I will be away for a work conference when you are here visiting.

Wendy, Yes! Yes! Yes! I did finish it. I'm in love with Foye. I have to email CJ to let her know how much I enjoyed INDISCREET. Since it doesn't release until October I'll have to ask her when she wants a review. I'm going to write it now while everything is fresh in my mind.

Heat. Heat. And more heat. DC doesn't seem so bad now does it?

Anthea, thanks for stopping by. As for the PJs we totally wimped out. OTOH, our clothes were so disheveled that they certainly looked like sleepwear.

5:59 PM PDT  
Blogger Smart Socratics said...

Hi Rosie, I'm just stopping by to say hi to you! Glad you're home!

7:49 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rosie! I'm glad you made it home safe and sound. It was really great meeting you. And I completely hear you about being tired. I slept till noon today and still feel exhausted.

Hope you get some well needed rest!

9:11 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Sue, I've been horrible getting around the blogosphere, so thanks for stopping by.

Hi! Barbara, it was wonderful meeting you. Heck at 7 PM EST we were already home all the way out here in CA. Keep in touch now, hear?

10:16 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Glad you made it home safely!

And thanks for sharing your RWA experience with those of us at home. :P

6:42 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Rosie! Glad you had so much fun. I think I'm jealous. You didn't wear PJs to the party? Hopefully I'll get to go one of these days and meet ya.

5:26 AM PDT  
Blogger azteclady said...

*waving* Rosie!!! *tackle* *hug*

It was beyond fantastic to meet you!

I so hear you on the tired--and I didn't stay up till the small hours writing funny RWA posts! You guys were running on Energizer batteries all week.

10:26 AM PDT  
Blogger Sharon Lathan said...

Rosie, It was so fun chatting with you and Wendy on the plane. I am still recuperating and wading through the immense stack of cards I acquired at the conference! I just wanted to say howdy and let you know that I really enjoyed meeting you. Your blog is so fun! And I will be passing on your kind words to my publicist, Danielle Jackson.

Take care! Sharon Lathan

1:30 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Ames, yes, I got home safely and promptly had a flare up with my arthritis. Blech! I caught up with my google reader tonight and am hoping to get in the reading, reviewing, posting saddle again. I hope...

scooper, Lisabea and I were naughty and mostly too lazy to put our jammies on before going to the party. We just wanted to go and mingle.

AL, I just wanted to thank you again for your generosity and offer of the cookies for my pity party last week. I'm much (much!) better now. All I need is an hour or two more in the day and I'll be all set!

Sharon, it was great meeting you too. The wonderful thing about the romance community is that there are no strangers. We are bonded by the love of reading and our genre. The kindness and generosity of the women I have met and continue to meet is nothing short of amazing.

1:52 AM PDT  
Blogger azteclady said...

Oh Rosie, it's GREAT to 'hear' from you!

You are going to think me strange (and hey, you'd be right) but I was starting to fret, wondering how you were feeling, and have been debating since last night whether to email you or not.

I'm so glad you are doing better! (((Rosie)))

8:50 AM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

AL, you are so sweet. It's a mother's curse to worry and fret isn't it? Thanks for thinking of me.

9:32 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home