A big family, a reading addiction, and the occasional celebrity scandal are the ingredients of life that create one woman's opinion on just about everything.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Quick Update

I saw Angela James the editor from Samhain briefly in the hallway this morning. The "rogue" digital panel was attended by almost 90 people.  That's where Katiebabs won her Sony Reader.

Janet Evanovich was funny, instructive, and evocative at the conference opening.   Her sage advice to writers is almost word for word the same as Nora Roberts...  Sit your a$$ in the chair and write.  It's a job, and Ms. Evanovich advises a writer needs to treat it like one.  Those who attended Evanovich's event got a copy of her HOW I WRITE book.

Linda Howard's keynote speech was a hilarious accounting of how she's the "Keeper of the Nuts" in her family.  After an uproarious anecdote about her brother, a riding lawn mower, a wheel chair and a bungee cord, she called her former sister-in-law a "Stupid Slut" and brought the house down.  I'm so glad I came to DC and that luncheon is one of them.  

The Avon signing was pretty busy.  I was surprised to see authors there without any books to sign.  Kelley Armstrong for one.  However they gamely stuck around and spoke with people.  I chatted a bit with Anna Campbell and got a couple of books signed by Julia Quinn.  I'm limiting the book intake, one due to the depth and breadth of my tbr and for two, I have to ship all those suckers home this year.

I even managed to get SMART A$$ signed by LB Gregg and believe me when I tell you, it wasn't easy!

A couple of other things I remember from last night's Literacy signing --  

When speaking with Robyn Carr she gave me the news saying it's not really a secret any more that she has been signed to have book releases in Jan, Feb and March the next three years.  

Jennifer Crusie was a hoot and we spoke briefly about how she validated us bloggers when she said people who write consistently are writers...  I won a book on Paperback Writer's blog by wearing that validation like a badge.  Actually I was being cheeky, but you know, I got the book so it's all good.  

I also told JC how much fun it was to check out how she transformed Anne Stuart's bright pink suitcase affectionately known as "the pig".  Too funny.  

Which reminds me, while speaking to Ms. Stuart last night I mentioned that I know a certain Canadian that only wants books signed by AS.  Ms. Stuart seemed to really get a kick out of that.

More later.  I gotta go get ready for dinner.  I've spoken about other blogger readers I've seen around the neighborhood, but I thought I'd list those I can remember off the top of my head...



Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Rowena said...

Wow, you've made me a very happy reader with all of those author tidbits. Especially the Robyn Carr bit. Now, are those 3 new releases next year, Virgin River books or new ones? Do you know?

Thanks again for keeping us in the loop!

4:25 PM PDT  
Blogger Renee said...

Loving the updates, Rosie! Keep 'em coming, please, for all of us who can't be there!

I totally squeed for you when I read about your meeting Carolyn Jewel! :-)

Kelley Armstrong is another writing goddess. But why no books?

Oh, LB signing! Very cool!

Off to read more updates.

5:11 PM PDT  
Blogger nath said...

SQUEEEE!!! Wow, sounds like such a wonderful day you!! and look at all the big names you got to meet!! SQUEEEE!! LOL :)

Hmmmm, let see... Wow, Janet Evanovich and Linda Howard!! I guess just at the RWA :P

I'm surprised Kelley Armstrong was at the Avon signing, I mean, that's not her publisher...

Okay, Robyn Carr... is it 3 books per year for the next three years? That would be great!! Or is it 3 books, but one per year? (that would not be as great LOL :P)

Ahhhh, Jennifer Crusie!! and Anne Stuart!!

6:23 PM PDT  
Blogger ~ames~ said...

Ack! I'm so jealous you had an actual conversation with JC. LOL

Good stuff Rosie!

7:15 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you got to that "hunk" bar without Kristie and me? *wink*

8:01 PM PDT  
Blogger KT Grant said...

*pets ereader* :P

9:20 PM PDT  
Blogger Rosie said...

Rowena, it was crazy noisy when I was talking to Robyn, but I believe she said they were all going to be Virgin River. Three books in three consecutive months for three consecutive years. She was extremely happy and excited.

Renee, I got to see Ms. Jewel at the publisher signings today (Friday). She's so darn nice. In fact, I got a surprise for you from her.

Nathie, we had a blogger love fest at dinner tonight. It was great. I have to pinch myself when I think of the great people I've been able to meet. As for the Robyn Carr releases see my comments to Rowena.

Ames, you know it was so cool because I just caught her with no one else at her table and we had a few minutes to talk before another fan came up. Those are just the best moments.

Barbara, as if...you and Kristie were probably in the corner of the bar pointing and laughing at SL and I waxing on about books and the conference.

KB, and it's my favorite color too! RED...

8:34 PM PDT  
Blogger CindyS said...

*CindyS dies and floats to AS Heaven*

There is to an Anne Stuart Heaven!!

Now I'm weepy.

Must leave before I embarrass myself further - too late.

CindyS *still dead*

9:19 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home